Does everybody have a fascination for healthy and supple skin right? And to maintain it we do so much, but sometimes it’s not enough for retaining the skin moisture. It calls for special attention but its very important to know about dry skin well before treating it. Read on and discover all about dry skin right here.
What is dryness of skin and how to get rid of dry skin?
Induced dryness of the skin is a dermatological condition characterized by the appearance of rough and dry patches, wrinkles, cracks and peeling of skin along with itching and burning sensations. It is a medical condition known as Dermatitis. But, if you are worried about how to get rid of dry skin, then check out the fantastic ways right here.
What are the different types of dry skin and their associated symptoms?
It occurs due to physical contact between the skin and external factors instigating allergy by causing inflammation, dryness, and blistering on the skin.
It develops due to excessive secretion of sebum by the skin and is characterized by clogged skin pores, red rashes, and itchiness.
Atopic dermatitis is popularly known as eczema. It is chronic and characterized by prolonged dryness and appearance of scaly and rough patches.
What causes dry skin?
Dryness occurs when the skin is no longer able to retain its natural moisture. The top surface becomes dry and cracked. Bacteria enter the skin and wrinkles that trigger infections and rashes. If you are seeking home remedies on how to get rid of dry skin, start by eliminating the causing agents. A few causes are as below.
- Exposure to excessive heat or low level of humidity
- Bruises and injuries inflicted on the skin
- Inflammation by the overuse of harsh chemical
- Excessive exposure to the UV rays
- Infection and inflammation of the skin etc.
- Taking a long shower
- Staying in centrally air-conditioned rooms for a long time
- Unhealthy habits like smoking, alcoholism, etc.
Top 5 powerful natural remedies on how to get rid of Dry Skin at home
Dryness of the surface can be painful and troublesome. The rashes and wrinkles not only give the surface an unappealing appearance but also render it unhealthy and unpleasant. Elucidated below are the most effective home remedies on how to get rid of dry skin.
1. Foods That Can Help with How to Get Rid of Dry Skin
How to use Raw Honey for the cure of Dry Skin Disease?
Topical application of honey is highly beneficial for the treatment of dryness of skin(1).
How to use?
- Take two tablespoons each of raw honey and rose water in a cup
- Smear the skin with the mixture
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water
- Do this on a daily basis for the skin to heal
Benefits of using honey
The humectant nature of honey makes it one of the most hydrating remedies of dryness of skin. It is a smooth moisturizer that retains the moisture of the skin, repairs the cracks and ruptures and nourishes the epidermis.
Foods to eat
Eat healthy and nutritious meals and drink lots of water to stay naturally hydrated and well nourished such as:
- Green leafy vegetables
- Fresh and juicy fruits
Foods to avoid
It is recommended to avoid the following foods
- Caffeinated beverages
2. Herbal Treatments to Follow for How to Get Rid of Dry Skin
How to Heal Dry skin on the Penis and Dry skin rash by the use of Fresh Aloe Vera Gel?
Nothing can beat freshly extracted aloe vera gel for how to get rid of dry skin. This method is one of the best natural remedies for the treatment of dry skin on male genitalia, dry skin patches, and dry skin on the face as well(2).
How to use?
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and slit its sides to extract its gel
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the aloe vera gel with gentle mixing
- Smear the mixture to the dry patches on the skin, dry skin on feet and dry elbows with thorough massaging
- Let the mixture seep into your skin for a few hours
- Rinse your skin with lukewarm water
- Do this on a regular basis for how to get rid of dry skin
Benefits of using Aloe vera gel
The refreshing nature of aloe vera gel repairs the ruptured and cracked skin cures the dry skin blisters, alleviates the burning and itchy sensations and nourishes the epidermis. The anti-inflammatory property of aloe vera gel heals the dry skin around mouth and dry skin rash and also helps to keep the skin moisturized and soft.
3. Use Essential Oils for Dry Skin
How to use Tea Tree Essential Oil for the cure of Dry skin?
Tea tree essential oil(3) is one of the best essential oils for dry skin.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil to a tablespoon of coconut oil and mix well
- Smear mixture on your skin
- Let the oil mixture sit for a few hours
- Do this on a daily basis for the cure of dryness of skin
Benefits of using tea tree essential oil
It possesses a powerful antibiotic, antifungal and antiseptic properties that help to fight against the dryness of skin and skin irritation.
Make sure that you use the essential oil in diluted form. Try a patch test on normal skin before proceeding with this remedy.
4. Home Remedies for How to Get Rid of Dry Skin
How to cure Dry Elbows and dry skin on feet with Pumpkin Seed oil?
Pumpkin seed oil(4) is one of the most healthy ways of how to get rid of dry skin.
How to use?
- Add a few teaspoons of pumpkin seed oil to a few tablespoons of olive oil
- Massage the oil mixture all over the dry skin on face, dry skin on legs and the dry skin in ears
- Do not rinse the areas for at least an hour
- Do this twice daily for the dry skin around eyes, dry skin on the eyelid and other dry skin patches to heal
Benefits of using pumpkin seed oil
Pumpkin seed oil is rich in with vitamins A, C, E, and K, essential fatty acids like linolenic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, and oleic acid, arachidic acid, myristic acid, omega 3, and omega six fatty acids, and minerals such as selenium and zinc. Besides, pumpkin seed oil has a very smooth and soft texture that seeps deep into the skin and moisturizes it thoroughly.
Look for pumpkin seed oil that is organic and without harmful preservatives. Always use it after missing it with olive oil for a milder effect.
How to treat Dry skin on Face and Dry Patches on the Surface by using Shea Butter?
The use of shea butter is one amongst the best ways on how to get rid of dry skin around eyes, dry skin around the mouth, and all over the facial skin.
How to use?
- Prepare the mixture by combining a cup each of shea butter and coconut oil
- Stir the contents and heat it until the mixture melts completely
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the melted mixture
- Refrigerate the mixture for about an hour
- Whip the cooled and soft moisture for about 10-15 minutes until it starts to form peaks
- Your homemade shea butter moisturizer is ready
- Store the velvety smooth body butter in a glass jar and keep it away from sunlight
- Smear the dry patches on the skin and dry skin rash with the moisturizer every night before going to sleep
- Your skin will become soft and smooth in a week
Benefits of using shea butter
It gets considered as the superfood of skin owing to its rich content of vitamins F, E and A. Topical application of shea butter aids in the production of collagen. It is rich in essential fatty acids such as linolenic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid and oleic acid that nourish the skin and aid in healthy hydration of the dry skin around the nose and dry skin on hands.
What are the Preventive Measures for Dry Skin Diseases or Dermatitis?
- Prevention is better than cure, and the same goes for addressing the dermatological condition of dryness of skin. Here’s how to prevent the dehydration of the skin
- Use gentle and herbal cosmetics and avoid using harsh soaps, shampoos, detergents, etc.
- Keep your skin hydrated throughout the day through regular bathing and use of natural moisturizers like coconut oil, shea butter, etc.
- Ditch the pipe and quit the bottle. Adopt healthy and nutritious foods instead
- Drink water in adequate quantity throughout the day
- Use sunscreen and sunshades to protect the skin from sunburns and blisters
- Use a humidifier at your home if it gets too cold and dry during winter(5)
Cure the dryness of skin with the help of natural remedies, but if the symptoms persist or become worse, then please consult a dermatologist.