Does honey help you sleep? Using honey for sleep treatment has multiple benefits. There are many benefits of using raw honey before bed. Your brain uses a lot of energy at night time.
Glycogen is a source of sugar that fuels your mind. Raw honey stocks your liver glycogen, which allows for better brain function and sleep at night. The small increase in the blood glucose level also helps stimulate sleep.
People who are on intermittent fasting can use honey to sleep better with only a tiny amount of carbohydrate intake.
Humans are the only mammals who can control and willingly delay their sleep?
Did you know that honey is the only food source consumed by humans that is produced by an insect?
Raw honey also has a lot of antioxidants which improves blood flow and allows your muscles to relax at night. Honey stimulates the body’s production of tryptophan, which is the main reason your body enters the sleep mode.
It also increases the feelings of happiness and fulfillment, allowing you to sleep better. Honey fructose can improve liver function. It can reduce nocturnal cough, which results in improved quality of sleep(1).
Recipes of Honey for Sleep
1. Honey And Sea Salt
An effective insomnia remedy using honey can be made with sea salt. Use the following procedure for this remedy.
- You need almost five to six teaspoons of honey. It is preferable to use raw honey. Processed variants may not retain the same amount of natural compounds required for sleep as the raw one.
- You need one teaspoon of the sea salt.
- Mix the two ingredients and stir well until the salt is completely dissolved in the honey.
- Store the mixture in a sealed glass jar. Do not refrigerate this as it may reduce the sleep-inducing effects.
- Put one teaspoon of the mixture under your tongue. If its effects are too strong, you may use half a teaspoon of the mix. Allow the mixture to be dissolved under your tongue.
- You may use the remedy every night.
- Two precautions must be followed. Try not to sleep with the mixture still in your mouth. The mixture may enter your windpipe during sleep and may lead to choking and even death. Secondly, avoid using this remedy for children. If at all you do, you may ask them to swallow the honey immediately instead of keeping it under their tongue.
- It is recommended that for this remedy, you use extra fine grain salt. Else, the honey might get rocky and abrasive.
- You may add essential oils to the treatment to improve the aroma and boost the effects. Kratom strains may also be used.
2. Honey and cinnamon for sleep
Another useful recipe can be made by using honey and cinnamon for sleep. You may brew tea.
- Heat almost eight ounces of milk in a saucepan. It is recommended to use whole milk. However, reduced milk may be used if you experience some form of allergies.
- Do not scald the milk.
- After removing the heat, you may add one teaspoon of honey and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon to the milk.
- It is preferable to drink this tea at least an hour before bedtime. Tea requires time to promote sleep.
- You may add one-fourth teaspoon of nutmeg to the tea to make it much more effective. In this case, you may consume the tea at least half an hour before bedtime.
- If you are choosing apple cider vinegar, then warming milk, with eight ounces of water. You may add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the mixture. It is preferable to consume this mixture at least half an hour before sleep. This mixture may have a sour taste.
[Also Read: Honey and Cinnamon for Weight Loss]
However, there are problems attached to over usage of honey(2). It can be unsafe for children below one year of age. It can also be hazardous if the nectar of Rhododendrons has been used to make it.
This honey can lead to heart problems. Pregnant women must not use excessive amounts of honey as it may affect their child adversely. Similarly, pollen allergies can be caused by certain people. It is best to consult your doctor before starting any regular honey-based treatment for sleep.
Honey is one of the best natural compounds that humans can consume. It has notable benefits to promote sleep. Honey-based remedies are natural and delicious to consume. If your doctor too recommends its usage, his remedy can be an effective option to get a cozy sleep.
[Also Read: Kratom for Sound Sleep]
1. Does Honey Make You Sleepy?
By increasing the body glucose level and providing the necessary glycogen to the liver, honey can help you go to sleep. It can also improve your sleep quality.
2. How Dangerous Is Excessive Honey Intake?
Intakes of excessive amounts of honey may be dangerous for those with diabetes as it can increase the blood sugar levels. At the same time, it may cause heart problems. It is best to consult your doctor regarding this issue.
3. Can Honey Be Used with Essential Oils?
Honey can be combined with essential oils to boost the effectiveness of the sleep remedy. Essential oils also provide a fantastic aroma to honey-based medication.