Due to the tiring and exhausting lifestyles that we lead in the modern times, it is important to have a good sleep in order to ensure that the damage inflicted on the body is repaired during sleep. But sometimes you face erratic breathing pattern while you are sleeping, which causes you extreme distress. This condition is called Sleep Apnea.
During sleep, the upper breathing airway collapses and causes reduced breathing making it difficult for the body and the brain to function normally.
It is characterized by periods of shallow breathing or pauses in breathing in the night lasting a few seconds or few minutes. After the breathing resumes, a choking or snorting sound can be heard. People with sleep apnea may also snore.
This pattern disrupts sleeping and leaves the person tired the next day. It can lead to serious health problems if not cured in time. Thankfully, essential oils for sleep apnea offer significant relief quickly.
Types, symptoms, and causes
Mostly, sleep apnea symptoms in men are more prominent than women. Adults around 1 to 6% experience this, while the rate of sleep apnea in children is around 2%. In adults, it usually occurs around the age of 55 to 60 years.
Types of Sleep Apnea
1. Obstructive sleep apnea
It is mainly caused by blockage of airflow. It can be caused by genetics, being overweight or tonsils.
2. Central sleep apnea
The breathing here slows down or stops because of the lack of effort to breathe.
3. Severe sleep apnea is the combination of both.
Sleep Apnea Signs and Symptoms
- Poor attention span
- Disinterested in sex
Causes of Sleep Apnea
- Wrong sleeping posture
- Medical reaction
Which essential oils are good for sleep apnea?
1. Eucalyptus essential oil for sleep apnea
Why use Eucalyptus essential oil for sleep apnea
Eucalyptus oil can clear mucus and congestion from the throat and the nose, allowing better breathing in the night.
How to use Eucalyptus essential oil for sleep apnea
One can mix it with a suitable carrier oil like coconut oil and apply it beneath each nostril before sleeping.
Another way to use this oil is through steam inhalation which is also quite an effective method of treating sleep apnea.
2. Thyme essential oil for sleep apnea
Why use Thyme essential oil for sleep apnea
Another excellent oil for treating snoring and sleep apnea, it is particularly useful in clearing blocked passages and clears up airways.
How to use Thyme essential oil for sleep apnea
You can either apply it topically by mixing with a carrier oil like jojoba oil or can diffuse this oil near the area you are sleeping for its beneficial effects.
3. Lavender essential oil for sleep apnea
Why use Lavender essential oil for sleep apnea
This is a mild but excellent therapeutic oil. It has been found to benefit in snoring and sleep apnea related problems. Also, it helps people suffering from insomnia.
It is a relaxant and a boon for people suffering from sleep and nervous disorders.
How to use Lavender essential oil for sleep apnea?
One can mix this with a carrier oil and massage it on the neck, chest and feet area and experience a sound sleep.
4. Marjoram Essential oil for sleep apnea
Why use Marjoram essential oil for sleep apnea?
It is another oil which is widely used for curing snoring and sleep-related disorders. It is quite soothing in its effect.
How to use Marjoram essential oil for sleep apnea?
You can either diffuse it in a diffuser or apply it topically well blended with a carrier oil on the feet area.
It ensures a smooth and relaxed sleep.
5. Peppermint essential oil for sleep apnea
Why use Peppermint essential oil for sleep apnea?
It is quite useful for relieving the congestion and irritation that causes sleep apnea. It has significant analgesic, and antibacterial properties which protect from the throat and nasal infections. It considerably reduces the vibrations and snoring during sleep and gives a calming effect.
How to use Peppermint essential oil for sleep apnea?
There are several ways in which you can use peppermint oil:
- One can inhale the vapor from a steam bath.
- You can massage a drop under your nostril before sleeping
- Or, you can try this method of adding peppermint oil to a glass of water and gargling with it before you sleep.
Essential oil recipe for sleep apnea
1. Essential oil diffuser blend
Mix Lavender oil, sweet marjoram oil, and eucalyptus oil in the ratio of 5:3:2 and keep it in the diffuser and let it stay for thirty minutes while you are getting ready to sleep. It will act excellently on your sleep apnea.
2. Essential oil Massage lotion
Mix one teaspoon of olive oil, two drops of valerian oil and two drops of peppermint oil. Mix all of them thoroughly and massage gently below the nostrils and right down to the neck. You can perform this ritual right before hitting the bed.
- Do not ingest essential oils without mixing or diluting.
- Consult an expert to know the exact quantity of oil that should be used by you.
- Purchase the oil from an authentic source whom you can trust for genuine products.
- Always wash off the massaged area with lukewarm water and avoid drinking cold water afterward.
Other Home Remedies for sleep apnea
- Healthy lifestyle: You need to avoid fat and sugar-rich foods and instead focus on including more green vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet. Also, make it a point to do some exercise at least four days a week.
- Avoid Alcohol and smoking: You must give up your drinking and smoking habits as they are a known cause of sleep apnea.
- Yoga: Regular yoga sessions can help relax your body and mind to ensure that you can enjoy a peaceful sleep.
Do’s and Don’ts of using essential oils
Here are some precautions that you must observe while using essential oils. They do not have any side-effects as such but make sure you do not apply them on the skin without diluting.
- Do not apply essential oils topically without diluting.
- Always mix essential oils with carrier oils before the massage.
- Clean the surface to be massaged before using essential oils.
- Leave the essential oils on for a few hours before washing off.
- Always use warm water to wash off the massaged area.
- Store essential oils in a cool place, away from direct sunlight.
One can make a whole lot of lifestyle changes like sleeping on one side, stopping smoking, reducing weight and controlling alcoholic intake. Also, taking help of breathing devices, mouthpieces or surgery can also be useful in treating sleep apnea problems.