Do you feel some discomfort or pain in the genital area? Is it accompanied by some raised bumps on the genitals? If yes, then the growth or bumps are nothing but genital warts. These warts occurring in the genital area are the most common type of sexually transmitted disease. Though warts are a benign outgrowth of skin, genital warts can be a problem. Especially in women, these can cause a lot of complications. One should immediately contact the doctor on the slightest symptom or try the home remedies for genital warts. The home remedies are quite helpful in treating warts.
What are Genital Warts?
Genital warts occur in the genital area, i.e., these are small outgrowths of skin appearing on the genitals. These can occur both in men and women. Genital warts are quite small hence may or may not be visible. These cause pain, itching, and discomfort in the genitals. These outgrowths might be cancerous or non-cancerous. In women, these can cause cancer of vulva or cervix.
What are the causes of Genital Warts?
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) which gets easily transmitted through skin to skin contact causes warts. However, only a few strains of HPV Virus are known to cause genital warts which means that the virus that causes warts on your hands might not cause warts on your genitals and vice-versa. The HPV virus for genital warts is mostly transmitted sexually.
What are the Genital warts Symptoms?
The signs of warts may or may not appear immediately after the infection. In certain instances, they may appear weeks or months after the infection. The common symptoms include:
- Small, soft outgrowth of skin
- The affected area gets dark in color
- The bumps may be in cluster or individual
- Vaginal discharge in women
Genital warts in men may appear in the following areas:
- Inside the anus or around it
Genital warts in women may appear in the following area:
- Inside the vagina or around it
- Inside the anus or around it
Please note that Genital warts can also occur on throat, tongue, lips, around the mouth in case a person has oral sex with an infected person.
What are the risk factors for genital warts?
Following are the known risk factors for genital warts:
- Having unprotected sex
- Oral sex
- People with a weakened immune system
How long do genital warts last?
Genital warts are an indication of HPV infection. They may go on their own within months or may take around two years. But that does not mean that you are rid of the infection as the virus is still there. Warts may appear again at any point in future. If warts don’t get treated at the right time, it might grow. Though you cannot treat HPV, you can always treat warts.
Natural Remedies for Genital Warts
Genital warts(1) are not only embarrassing, but they also pose a threat to your health. However, you can accelerate their clearing by employing the home remedies for genital warts. These remedies work effectively to reduce the trouble caused by warts and diminish them. Try some of the cures mentioned below
1. Foods that help in Treating Genital Warts
Pineapple juice counts among the effective home remedies for Genital Warts
Pineapple juice(2) with its versatile benefits is the best amongst the home remedies for genital warts.
How to use?
- Cut small pieces of pineapple
- Squeeze out the juice
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice
- Gently dab the liquid on the genital warts
- Leave it for ten minutes
- After that wipe off the fluid
Benefits of Pineapple
Pineapple contains an enzyme known as Bromelain. The pineapple juice aids in the breakdown of genital warts on the penis and other areas. It is also rich in magnesium that prevents scars after warts fall off.
Foods to Eat
A healthy diet also plays a significant role in preventing the infections(3). It boosts the immune system thus improving your defense mechanism against viruses that cause such diseases. Incorporate healthy foods rich in antioxidants to prevent the risk of getting HPV infection
- Whole grains
- Dark leafy vegetables
- Fruits like blueberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc.
- Lean meats
Foods to avoid
Certain foods that contain high amounts of arginine are known to increase the outbreaks of genital warts. The foods that you must avoid case you are suffering from genital warts are:
- Nuts and seeds
- Dairy Products
2. Herbal treatments that can cure Genital Warts
Cure Genital Warts with the help of Thuja Herb
The herb of Thuja is also known as Westen Red Cedar. It is an age-old herb that works fantastically to cure genital warts(4).
How to use?
- Take30 drops of thuja tincture and dilute it in 1 cup of water
- Soak a tampon in it and wear it
- Change the tampon 2-3 times a day following a similar procedure
- Take 20-30 drops of Thuja essential oil and mix it in 1 ounce of olive oil
- Topically apply it on the affected region
- Repeat it three times a day for best results
Benefits of Thuja herb
Thuja herb stimulates the immune system of the body which in turn fight against adamant warts. This herb can be used as a tincture or in the form of essential oil.
It is always advisable to dilute thuja extract with any carrier oil like olive oil to apply on the body. Always look for pure thuja extract which is chemical free to avert any damage to your body.
Green Tea can be useful for removing Male Genital Warts
Green tea due to its high content of antioxidants is considered to be a healthy choice. Besides it, the drink also counts among the most use useful home remedies for genital warts(5).
How to use?
- Boil water and add to it green tea leaves
- Keep it on simmer for around fifteen minutes
- After that turn off the flame leave the tea for five minutes more
- Strain the tea
- Drink the mixture at least two times a day
- Take Green tea extract
- Add to it one to two drops of coconut oil
- Apply the mixture on the warts
Benefits of Green Tea
The presence of Catechins in the green tea along with antioxidants inhibits the growth of HPV virus that causes warts.
3. Use Essential Oils to Remove Genital Warts
Tea Tree Oil is one of the best among Home Remedies for Genital Warts
Tea Tree Oil is known to have numerous beneficial properties that make it a useful aid for treating HPV genital warts in females. It is an elixir for those looking for how to get rid of genital warts.
How to use?
- Take one to two drops of Tea Tree Oil
- Mix the oil in the same quantity of carrier oil like coconut oil
- Soak a cotton ball in the diluted mixture
- Apply it directly on the wart
- You need to follow the procedure for several weeks to see useful results
Benefits of Tea Tree oil
Tea Tree Oil has potent anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antiseptic properties that make it a fantastic remedy for treating genital warts.
On application of tea tree oil blend, you may feel some burning sensation, but this is how the oil will work to treat the wart. Please note that tea tree oil should be used only in diluted form. Applying it directly to the skin may harm you.
4. Home Remedies for Healing Genital Warts
Treat Genital Warts with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is an excellent home remedy for those looking for how to treat HIV genital warts(6).
How to use?
- Take a gauze, Q-tip or cotton ball
- Soak it in Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apply it to genital warts and leave overnight
- Rinse the area, next morning
- The treatment can effectively reduce warts
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic properties of apple cider vinegar have a similar effect on warts like that of various medication. It kills bacteria and the virus that cause warts. Also, the acidic nature burns the skin with outgrowth causing warts to fall-off.
Castor Oil is an excellent home treatment for genital warts
Genital warts on the vagina are quite uncomfortable and cause pain. Castor Oil(7) is one of the most effective home remedies for genital warts. The oil is also safe to be used internally hence would not cause any trouble if you wish to smear it inside the vagina.
How to use?
- Soak a cotton ball in castor oil
- Dab the oil with the cotton ball on the genital warts
- Leave it overnight
- Next morning you can wash off the oil
- You should repeat the process daily to see results
If you are not able to tolerate the pungent smell of the oil, then you can add to it peppermint oil.
- Add some baking soda to castor oil
- Make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on warts and cover it with a gauze
- Repeat the process after every few hours
Benefits of Castor oil
The thick, pungent smelling oil has anti-inflammatory properties which makes it an excellent option for those looking for how to cure genital warts.
Pregnant women should avoid using it as the oil is known to induce labor.
5. Natural Treatments that aid in Genital Wart removal
Epsom salt bath helps treat mild genital warts
Genital warts itch can be handled easily with Epsom salt. It is the safest and easiest among the home remedies for genital wart.
How to use?
- Add warm water of tolerable temperature to your tub
- Add to it around two cups of Epsom salt
- Soak yourself in the water for at least thirty minutes
- After that, pat yourself dry
- Repeat the process until warts clear
- Epsom salt bath helps in relieving you of itchy skin too
Benefits of Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salt contains numerous beneficial minerals that can help treat various ailments, and genital warts are one of them. You don’t need to do much, enjoy a bath in Epsom salt and bid farewell to warts.
How to prevent Genital warts?
To prevent getting or transmission of genital warts, it becomes essential to practice safe sex which significantly minimizes the spread of the infection. Following are the preventive measures for genital warts:
- Avoid sexual contact especially with a person suffering from genital warts
- Have protected sex
- Use condoms or dental dam
- Men and Women can get HPV vaccine
- Discuss HPV with your partner
- Quit smoking
Even after your warts have been successfully treated you must abstain from sex for at least two weeks after warts clear up to prevent infection from spreading.
Genital warts are undoubtedly uncomfortable. These not only put you at risk but also your partner. The home remedies for genital warts mentioned above are quite helpful in alleviating your troubles. These help in diminishing warts and also inhibit the virus. You need to be cautious of the infection and on the very first sign of warts start using the remedies. Genital wart is a common infection in sexually active people. Instead of stressing out on why it happened to you, employ the natural cures and resolve your troubles.