Has the smooth skin of your baby turned rough and patchy? The red blotted skin is undoubtedly painful to see. Many children after a few months of their birth develop this condition which is known as Eczema. Some babies might outgrow Eczema symptoms with age, but others may take it to adulthood. Eczema is a chronic condition that can flare-up at times. Your baby’s skin might look blotchy and too dry. It may cause your little one a lot of trouble. To ease the itchiness, use baby eczema(1) natural remedies.
What causes Baby Eczema?
In babies, Eczema generally develops on the cheeks and scalp regions. It may spread to arms, chest, legs, elbows, back of the knees and other parts of the body. While family history is a significant cause of developing eczema, other factors that can trigger it are
- Irritants or allergens found in the environment
- Deficiency of fatty cells called ceramides
- Poor skin barrier
What are the Symptoms of Baby Eczema?
Eczema looks like rashes that may develop on cheeks and other parts of your baby’s body. Following are the signs that may help you identify eczema in your child
- Red rashes on the skin
- The skin becomes patchy, dry and scaly
- Thickening of the skin area affected with eczema
- Constant itching
What to use for Baby Eczema?
There is nothing more awful than seeing your little one in trouble. Baby eczema natural remedies can help in easing the symptoms of eczema provide your little one relief from constant itching. The solutions being natural are the best for babies as these do not have any side-effects on their sensitive skin.
List of Baby Eczema Natural Remedies:
1. Foods to cure Baby Eczema
Honey for Baby Eczema Treatment
Honey is something that is loved by all. Adding honey to the diet or using it as an application, both have positive effects on the body(2).
How to use?
- Take honey in your palm
- Rub it across and then apply it to the affected areas
- Dip a cloth in warm water and clean it after moisturizing a bit
- Pat the skin fry
Benefits of honey
Honey has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that avert a flare-up on baby’s skin. It also imparts a soothing effect and a smooth texture.
Foods to eat
Include foods that have a moisturizing effect on the body for treating the baby rash.
- Flaxseed and flaxseed oil
- Boneless trout etc.
Foods to avoid
- Tree nuts etc.
2. Baby Eczema Treatment using Essential Oils
Turmeric Essential oil for Baby Eczema
Turmeric is one important medicinal herb, and its essential oil works wonders too for treating eczema in babies(3).
How to use?
- Take one drop of turmeric essential oil
- Dilute it with one tablespoon of carrier oil like olive oil
- Apply it on your baby’s skin and massage gently
- Wipe it off with a warm and clean cotton cloth
- Repeat as required
Benefits of turmeric oil
Turmeric oil is safe for use on kids and has moderate anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to fight any infection and also imparts a soothing texture to the skin after healing eczema.
Never use any essential oil without diluting it properly on children. Do a little patch test a day before using turmeric oil.
3. Baby Eczema Treatment with Home Remedies
Baby Eczema Treatment using Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is known for its numerous benefits. It is also an effective remedy for those looking for how to treat eczema on baby face and other body parts. It is one of the safest essential oils for babies(4).
How to use?
- Take a small amount of extra virgin coconut oil
- Apply it directly to the affected region
- Massage gently so that the oil gets absorbed in the skin
Benefits of coconut oil
The antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of coconut oil make it quite useful for treating eczema in babies. The presence of lauric acid and Vitamin E and K help in reducing skin inflammation and promote its healing.
Always do a patch test as babies skin is susceptible and might get flared up by any trigger. Look for organic and pure coconut oil for a better result.
Apple Cider Vinegar counts among the effective Baby Eczema Natural Remedies
If you are looking for some suitable options to treat eczema on the baby neck and other regions, then apple cider vinegar is the best that you can get. The acidic nature of the vinegar maintains the pH level of the skin and keeps it moisturized and well nourished. Apple cider vinegar bath is one of the most useful baby eczema natural remedies.
How to use
- Fill the bath-tub with hot water of the tolerable temperature
- Add to it one to two cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soak your baby in the tub for fifteen to twenty minutes
- Do not make it more than thirty minutes
- After that rinse the body of your baby with water at standard temperature
- Pat the skin dry using a soft towel
- Moisturize the surface with a lotion or cream
Check for the expiry date before purchasing apple cider vinegar. Also do a recommended patch test always before using anything.
Sunflower Oil is one of the Best Baby Eczema Natural Remedies
Eczema on baby(5) head or scalp is common trouble. Try using sunflower oil to resolve the problem. Sunflower oil with its moisturizing properties is quite helpful in treating eczema. It forms a protective layer on the skin that keeps the possible irritants away that may trigger the issue.
How to use?
- Take a generous amount of sunflower oil
- Massage it on the scalp
- You can even massage the oil on the entire body of your baby to prevent the development of eczema.
- Doing this daily will keep the skin moisturized and healthy
- Studies have shown that massaging sunflower oil on skin improves skin’s barrier function and keeps it moisturized
Do not warm or overheat sunflower oil while using for eczema treatment in babies. It is recommended to use organic sunflower oil for babies.
4. Natural Remedies for Baby Eczema
Oatmeal reduces eczema in babies
Oatmeal serves to be one of the best baby eczema natural remedies(6). Its soothing properties help alleviate the symptoms of eczema. Your child is going to love the oatmeal bath. Prepare the oatmeal bath for your kid as mentioned below
How to use:
- Add lukewarm water to the tub
- To it, add a cup of the oatmeal powder
- The water would feel soft
- Soak your baby in the bath for ten to fifteen minutes
- After that pat him dry
- Apply a mild, fragrance-free moisturizer on his skin
- Oatmeal cleanses the skin and eases inflammation
Benefits of oatmeal
Oatmeal helps in binding the surface and forms a protective layer called the skin barrier that keeps the body’s moisture intact and does not let the skin dry. It will help to soothe his body and provides effective relief from itching.
5. Supplements to Treat Baby Eczema
Vitamin D for Baby Eczema
As we all know, vitamin D(7) is a vital necessity for the human body. And the same goes for children too. It is very beneficial to counter the flare-ups and triggers that cause eczema.
How to use?
- Soak your baby in the early morning sunlight
- It is a fundamental and essential way to get natural vitamin D
- You can also take vitamin D supplements and drops after consulting a pediatrician
- Do not overdose your child with the supplement
- Avoid soaking in harsh sunlight as it may enhance the flare-up
Which are the Good Essential Oils for Baby Eczema?
Essential oils are known for their healing properties. These are a wonderful baby eczema natural remedies for their soothing nature. Some of the essential oils that you can use for treating eczema in babies are:
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Chamomile Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Turmeric Essential Oil
- Citrus Oils
Use these essential oils in the bath or blend them with a base oil and gently massage on the affected region. These are quite potent hence should be used in minimal amount.
Baby eczema natural remedies mentioned above are quite useful in treating the irritated skin of the babies. Your baby’s skin is too sensitive hence it is best to use the natural products that do not aggravate the condition. The remedies mentioned above provide quick relief to your child. These soothe the skin and improve skin barrier, thus accelerating the skin’s healing process.