From seasoning the daily dishes to brewing exotic teas and other beverages, herbs are indispensable in the kitchen. But did you know that herbs can be of immense help if you’re trying to lose weight? The sun-dried herbs and spices deserve way more credit for their excellent benefits for metabolism, digestion, and, of course, weight loss.
But are you aware as for how they function on their mission? Stop thinking and read ahead as we tell you more about how to use the seven different herbs for weight loss right now.
How do the incredible herbs for weight loss actually function?
The herbs for weight loss work by the regulation of metabolism and ensure healthy digestion and sound bowel movement. If you are desperately seeking to lose body weight, then try a cup of freshly brewed herbal tea to shed the flab and get fit and gorgeous. The herbal tea induces weight loss with the following factors.
- Increasing the volume and frequency of urination and bowel movement
- Stimulation of the nervous system
- Increasing the level of serotonin
Top 7 Herbs for weight loss to Spice Up Your Regime
- Cinnamon is fragrant, delicious, and one of the best herbs for weight loss.
How to use cinnamon?
- Take a handful of fresh cinnamon sticks and pound them into a fine powder.
- Set a cup of water to boil on a low flame. Pour the hot water into a cup after a few minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to the cup and stir well until the powder completely dissolves.
- Drink the cinnamon infusion twice in a day for the natural treatment of weight gain and obesity.
Benefits of using cinnamon
- Cinnamon is incredibly beneficial for the loss of excess weight. Drinking cinnamon tea helps in the stabilization of blood sugar and aids naturally to shed weight due to diabetes.
- The consumption of cinnamon assists in the quicker metabolism and elimination of fats from the body. It also helps to control hunger raving and suppress the appetite to prevent overeating and consequent weight gain.
[Read: Cinnamon for Blood Sugar]
There is nothing like a cup of warm ginger tea to combat weight gain and shed the extra pounds.
How to use ginger?
- Take an inch-sized piece of ginger and grate it to extract its juice. Store the ginger juice in a dish and set it aside.
- Put a cup of water on the boil over a low fire.
- Add the ginger juice to the water in the saucepan and keep boiling for a few more minutes. Turn the flame off and let the infusion simmer down for a couple of minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the ginger infusion and stir well.
- Drink the ginger tea twice or thrice in a day for weight loss and healthy digestion.
Benefits of using ginger
Ginger promotes weight loss and plays a significant role in the cure of obesity. Clinical research suggests that the consumption of ginger improves the thermic effect of the foods and thereby enhances the feeling of hunger satisfaction. Drinking ginger tea is good for curbing the appetite and is therefore useful for weight loss caused by excessive eating.
Peppermint juice is excellent for weight loss and control of hunger cravings.
How to use peppermint?
- Fill a glass bowl with a handful of freshly plucked peppermint leaves.
- Crush the leaves with the help of a pestle and then set the crushed leaves aside.
- Fill the saucepan with water and put the pan over a low flame.
- Add a tablespoon of the crushed peppermint leaves to the water and then let them boil for about a few minutes.
- Strain out the infusion into a cup and add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Let the infusion simmer down for a couple of minutes and now the peppermint tea is ready.
- Drink the peppermint whenever you feel hungry between meals and drink it every morning for weight loss.
Benefits of using peppermint
The juice of peppermint leaves is a natural suppressant of appetite. It curbs hunger pangs and does not let you eat between meals. Drinking peppermint tea is good for digestion, and healthy digestion is the key to weight loss and cure for obesity.
If your weight gain is due to stress and induced binge-eating, then peppermint tea and peppermint essential oil can be immensely beneficial for you. Inhale the essential oil and drink the tea twice daily to beat stress and weight gain at one go.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Weight Loss]
4. Milk thistle
Sweet as the name sounds, milk thistle is one of the most effective herbs for weight loss.
How to use milk thistle?
- Milk thistle is available in the form of capsules and tinctures at local drug stores.
- Consult a physician before taking the milk thistle supplement capsule.
Benefits of using milk thistle
Milk thistle is an ancient remedy for weight loss. It possesses silymarin which aids in the enhancement of the functioning of the liver. The consumption of milk thistle capsule on a regular basis aids in the process of detoxification which is incredibly beneficial for weight loss.
The removal of toxins from the body helps in the regulation of healthy metabolism and elimination of unhealthy fats as well.
The sage herb helps with weight loss and is great for the natural cure of all kinds of digestive issues.
How to use sage?
- For the preparation of sage infusion, you need a tablespoon of sun-dried sage leaves. You may also use fresh sage leaves.
- Crush the dried sage leaves into a powder. If you are using fresh sage leaves, then use a pestle to grind them into bits.
- Fill the vessel with a cup of plain water and put it over a low flame.
- Add a tablespoon of the crushed sage leaves to the water and then let the contents of the pot boil for about a few minutes.
- Strain out the sage tea into a cup and let it simmer down in a couple of minutes.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the sage tea.
- Drink it twice or thrice in a day for the natural treatment of obesity and excessive gain in body weight.
Benefits of using sage
The sage possesses excellent antioxidant, diuretic, and stimulant properties. The stimulant nature helps in the enhancement of the rate of metabolism of the body. The increase in the metabolic rate helps in burning out the excess calories thereby aiding in weight loss. Drinking sage tea on a daily basis helps in the natural treatment of internal inflammation and induces sound sleep as well.
[Read: 7 Essential Oils for Weight Loss]
The famous pizza herb, oregano, is good for weight loss and can help with digestion.
How to use oregano?
- Drinking oregano infusion is helpful for weight loss.
- Pound and grind the sun-dried oregano leaves into bits.
- Put a cup of plain water on the boil over a low fire.
- Pour 2-3 teaspoons of the bits of oregano leaves to the water and then boil the contents of the pot until the leaves dissolve in hot water.
- Strain out the oregano tea into a cup and let it steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Drink the tea hot 4-5 times in a day for weight loss.
- Alternatively, you can add 4-5 drops of oregano essential oil to a glass of your favorite fruit juice and drink it once in a day on a daily basis for weight loss.
- Oregano herb is also available in the form of supplement capsules. Take the capsule after consulting a physician and do not take the herb if you are pregnant or in the breastfeeding phase.
Benefits of using oregano
The oregano herb is incredibly useful for the loss of excess body weight. It contains the compound, carvacrol, which is a biologically active component that is essential for the dissolution of unhealthy fats. Drinking oregano infusion is also helpful for the natural treatment of digestive disorders like stomach cramps and bloating. It helps to fight against depression and cures stress and anxiety as well.
[Read: Home Remedies for Weight Loss]
With all the odes and lyrics about the pretty flower dandelion, mentioning it here in this list of herbs for weight loss, is essential.
How to use dandelion?
- The consumption of dandelion tea is incredibly essential for obesity and weight loss.
- For the preparation of dandelion tea, you need a few roots of dried dandelion and a cup of plain water. You may also use a teaspoon of honey to sweeten the dandelion tea.
- Chop the dried roots of a dandelion into pieces and set them aside.
- Put a cup of water to boil and then add two teaspoons of the chopped dandelion roots to the water in the pot. Let it boil for a minute or two.
- Remove the dandelion tea from the flame and strain it out into a cup. Add a teaspoon of honey to the tea and drink it hot.
- Drink the dandelion tea twice or thrice in a day for the natural treatment of obesity and weight loss.
- Alternatively, you can add the fresh green dandelion herb to soups and salads to extract the maximum benefits of the herb.
Benefits of using dandelion
If you are overweight or obese, then dandelion is just the herb that you need right now. Dandelion herb possesses phytochemical compounds that are responsible for its mildly laxative and potent diuretic properties that work great for the liver. It helps in detoxification by flushing out the toxins from the body in the form of urine.
Drinking dandelion tea helps in increasing the frequency and volume of urine which is good for weight loss as it helps in the elimination of excess water weight. It is also good for suppressing hunger cravings and fighting against intestinal inflammation.
A few words of caution
- Do not take any herbal tea without consulting the physician especially if you are on specific medications.
- Do not take the herbal tea during the pregnancy and breastfeeding phase.
Shedding the extra pounds will not happen in a day but drinking herbal tea will undoubtedly help to get you through it. Apart from relying on the list of potent herbs for weight loss, you also need to drink plenty of water and do regular exercise to burn the calories faster and get into shape in just a few months or so. Research says that the healthy way to loose body weight is to shed ½ to 2 pounds of weight every week and not more. Ditch the unhealthy lifestyle and stick to a balanced diet to accelerate the weight loss process and you will be amazed at how slim and fit you look at the end of it all