Eating a wholesome food is the easiest way to stay healthy. By this, we mean to say that, the food we eat should contain enough quantities of Vitamins, fats, proteins, minerals etc. If you have a health problem, it means that this intake has gone abnormally. These days, a number of people have the problem of being overweight. Losing weight has been their long-standing dream. They do a lot of things to lose weight but do not cut down the intake of fats. This leads to obesity.
Apart from cutting down the fat intake, the intake of fiber also should be balanced.
Read on to find out how to use high-fiber foods list to lose weight and beat obesity.
Why should you eat high-fiber foods
- Weight gain
- Fight against the risk of diabetes type 2
- Stave off the risks of cardiac problems
- Fight against cancer
- Treats constipation
High-fiber foods to fight against weight gain and obesity
- Baked acorn squash
- Raw avocado
- Artichoke hearts
- Navy beans
What is excess weight and obesity?
Excess body weight or obesity is a significant health issue that is slowly engulfing the globe. About one out of three Americans suffer from excess body weight and obesity.
The primary causes of excess gain in body weight include genetics, sedentary lifestyle, excess intake of food, physiological influence, alcoholism, and more. Its symptoms include arthritis, sleep apnea, varicose veins, skin diseases, gallstones, and more too.
The best way to fight excess gain in body weight is by curbing the consumption of junk food and switching to foods that are high in fibrous content.(1) Use of such foods helps in maintaining the health of the digestive system and assist in fighting obesity and excess weight gain by preventing the accumulation of fat in the body.
What is high-fiber food?
Foods that are rich in fibrous content get classified as high-fiber food or roughage. The Institute of Medicine strongly recommends that men who are under fifty years of age require about 38g of fiber and for women the requirement is 25g in the daily diet. For men and women over the age of fifty years, the amount of fiber should be 30g and 21g respectively for the preservation of the health of the digestive system and the control of body weight.
What are the types of high-fiber food and its effects?
There are two types of high-fiber foods as there are two types of fiber namely soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Most of the vegetarian foods possess both the types of fiber. The soluble fiber gets converted into a gel which assists in delaying the process of digestion to a healthy level. It also helps to decrease blood glucose and cure high cholesterol.
- The consumption of foods rich in insoluble fiber is excellent for the natural treatment of constipation and irritable bowel syndrome. Regardless of the differences in the type of fiber, both varieties get absorbed into the gastrointestinal tract.
- Overdose or inadequate consumption of fibrous foods can lead to health complications like flatulence, irregular bowel movement, stomach cramps, and more. Adhere to the recommended levels to stay healthy and happy.
Why should you eat high-fiber foods to fight against weight gain and obesity?
The consumption of high-fiber foods is excellent for the maintenance of healthy body weight. It also helps to keep diseases at bay and is incredibly essential for the body for the reasons elucidated below.
1. Combat weight gain with high-fiber foods
The consumption of foods rich in fiber content help to curb appetite and prevent the body from the absorption of calories from the digested food by binding with the molecules of sugar and fats. The prevention of gain in calories along with regulation of bowel movement helps in cutting down on the excess body weight.
2. Fight against the risk of diabetes type 2
Eating fiber-rich foods helps in bringing down the level of excess glucose in the blood. It also helps to maintain steadiness in the concentration of blood glucose thereby aiding in the prevention and cure of diabetes.
3. Stave off the risks of cardiac problems
Clinical research reveals that for every 7g of fiber in the daily diet the risk of cardiac ailments declines by about 9 percent. Fiber can get rid of excess cholesterol from the body and prevent heart diseases like atherosclerosis and high blood pressure.
4. Fight against cancer with high-fiber foods
A report in the Annals of Oncology reveals that the consumption of every 10g of fiber can contribute to the prevention and cure of colorectal cancer and breast cancer. Fiber is anti-carcinogenic because it is rich in antioxidants and phytochemical compounds.
5. Fiber can do away with constipation
The consumption of fiber helps to add bulk to the stool which prevents its hardening and eases its expulsion from the system. It aids in the peristaltic movement and helps in the prevention and natural treatment of constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
10 Surprising High-Fiber Foods List to Lose Weight and belly fat
- Flaxseed tops the high-fiber foods list to lose weight and cure obesity.
- A tablespoon of flaxseeds is all that you need to curb the naughty hunger cravings and settle your rumbling stomach. 3g of flaxseeds contain only 55 calories.
- It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which makes it excellent for the natural cure of internal inflammation and cardiac diseases.
- Sprinkle your salads and yogurt with ground flaxseeds for a perfectly healthy snack.
- Almonds are not only delicious and rich in nutrients but are also rich in fibrous content. There are 3.50g of fiber in an ounce of almonds (28 nuts).
- The nuts possess iron and magnesium which are essential for the maintenance of the level of red blood cells in the body and prevention of cardiac attacks respectively.
- Begin your day with a handful of soaked almonds or sprinkle your breakfast and snacks with chopped or whole almonds to lose weight and flab in no time.
- Fresh figs are tender, succulent, and delicious. There are 7.40g of fiber and 189 calories in a serving of 4 fresh figs.
- Dietitians recommend the consumption of the entire fruit for the proper utilization of its fibrous content.
- Add the chopped figs to a bowl of plain yogurt along with cinnamon, honey, and slivered almonds for a healthy and savory snack.
- Pamper your sweet tooth without putting on even an ounce of weight with ripe and juicy blackberries. A cup of blackberries contains 7.60g of fiber.
- Blackberry is rich in vitamin C which is essential for the maintenance of cardiovascular health by the reduction of cholesterol level in the blood.
- Blend a cup of blackberries into a creamy and delicious smoothie and reap its weight loss benefits effectively.
- Edamame is the purest form of soy protein. A cup serving of edamame contains 8.1 g of fiber.
- The vegetable is rich in proteins, amino acids, and vitamin B which work to boost the energy level of the body. It also contains sodium which helps in the replenishment of electrolytes in the body.
- Season the edamame slightly with salt and pepper and munch on it to cut down on fats and excess body weight.
- Bulgur is a healthy alternative to rice and other whole wheat grains that have excess starch and calories. A cup serving of bulgur contains 8.20 g of fiber.
- Bulgur is rich in nutrients and is incredibly healthy. Blend the bulgur with parsley, diced tomatoes, garlic, lemon juice and saute it with olive oil for a healthy and delicious lunch.
7. Baked acorn squash
- Baked acorn squash is a sweet and delicious dish that is incredibly beneficial for weight loss. A cup of diced acorn squash contains 9g of fiber.
- It is rich in vitamin C which is known for its antioxidant effect on the body.
- The consumption of baked squash boosts the fat-burning capacity or metabolic rate of the body. The increase in the rate of metabolism helps in shedding the extra pounds.
8. Raw avocado
- Avocado is rich in fibrous content. It is one of the best items in the high-fiber foods list to lose weight. A cup of sliced avocado contains 9.80g of fiber.
- It is rich in vitamin K and monounsaturated fatty acids which are remarkably beneficial for health. Vitamin K is essential for the growth and development of strong and robust bones.
- The consumption of avocado helps to stay full, which is good for curbing appetite and cutting down on overeating.
9. Artichoke hearts
- Artichoke hearts are light and filling which is an excellent combination of qualities for foods in the high-fiber foods list to lose weight. A cup of cooked artichoke hearts possesses 14.4g of fiber and 89 calories.
- Artichoke is rich in antioxidants which helps to fight against oxidative damage by the elimination of toxic free radicals.
10. Navy beans
- Navy beans are rich in proteins and fiber and low in calories. A cup of cooked navy beans contain 19g of fiber.
- Add the navy beans to salads and soups and eat on a regular basis to preserve the health of the gastrointestinal system and lose excess weight in no time.
A few words of caution
- The excess consumption of foods rich in fibrous content can trigger digestive problems like flatulence, abdominal cramps, and bloating.
- Exceeding the recommended intake of fibrous foods can trigger abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Shedding the extra pounds and getting fit is not done in a day, nor is it possible to lose the excess body weight with a balanced diet alone. Besides adhering to the high-fiber foods list to lose weight, you need to exercise daily and drink plenty of water to cure obesity and prevent excess gain in body weight.