Are you irritated by dry scalp? You probably would feel a constant itchy feeling on your head and this feeling increases as the day passes by. This happens because your scalp has become dry due to many reasons like constant exposure to dirt and dust, using very less or no hair oil, frequent shampooing and so on. When oil glands of the skin fail to produce enough oil, it results in the itchy scalp.
The symptoms that follow dry scalp are dry and dull hair, dry itchy scalp, redness, irritation etc., If this is not taken care of in time, it can lead to very serious repercussions.There is one effective remedy which can be one of the best natural remedies for dry scalp to deal with this situation.
Yes, Olive Oil!!! Olive oil is not only used for cooking but also has other benefits. Lets learn how to use Olive oil, its other importance and the nutritional benefits.
Causes behind dry scalp
- Continuous usage of harsh shampoos jam-packed with chemical contents.
- Extreme weather conditions such as cold and dry weather.
- The scarcity of essential nutrients in the body due to dietary deficiencies.
- Overexposure to hard water.
- Excessive indulgence in usage of styling products.
- Carelessness in hair care.
- Fungal infection
[ Read: How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp ]
What is olive oil?
Extracted from the fruit of olive trees, this oil has been in usage since ages owing to its versatility and multitudinous health benefits it offers. It is the aborigine of Mediterranean region where people have realized its usage since long in culinary and other spheres of life and this can be verified from the fact that people in Mediterranean region have lowest mortality rate as far as cardiovascular diseases are concerned. This monounsaturated fat is jam-packed with several useful properties that take care of you through thick and thin.
Types of olive oil are as follows:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- This oil is the quintessential oil and no other type beats this in terms of quality and nutrients. This is the purest form of oil available and is produced within 24hours of the produce.
- Virgin Olive Oil- Virgin olive oil stands next to extra virgin olive oil in terms of purity. It is good for cooking as it has adequate amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and is extracted naturally.
- Cold Pressed olive oil- Cold pressed oil indicates that there was no heat involved in the extraction process as heattends to destroy the aroma and flavor of the oil.
Why use Olive Oil for dry scalp?
Olive oil has earned the title of liquid gold and it does not fail to stand true to it. This oil acts as a one-stop solution for all problems associated with itchy dry scalp. It has the ability to penetrate deep into the scalp and work its magic so that you might get away with those agonizing scalp problems. Severe dry scalp tends to give your hair a dull look and you can reverse it by incorporating olive oil in your daily life as it tends to give soft and shiny appearance. It treats dandruff and other scalp related issues. The oil provides optimal moisture to your scalp and the rich antioxidants promote scalp health. Besides, its antifungal and anti bacterial properties are just what you need to deal with itchiness, redness and irritation associated with dry scalp.
How to use Olive Oil for dry scalp?
1.Heated oil remedy
Directions- For this, you will need to heat ½ cup extra virgin olive oil in a microwave-safe dish until it becomes thin and warm. Completely soak your scalp with this oil with the help of your fingers. Brush your hair after this and let the oil be for about 20 minutes before you wash it off.
2.Ginger and Olive Oil
Combined characteristics of both these ingredients work effectively to tackle extremely dry scalp issues.
Directions- Blend 1 tbsp each of ginger paste and olive oil in a bowl. Massage this mixture into your scalp using your fingertips. Leave the paste on for half an hour. After this wash it off using cool water and mild sulfate free shampoo. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times in a week.
3.Remedy for babies-
Cradle cap affects scalps in small babies and olive oil comes to the rescue for its moisturizing property treats scalp naturally. Thus it treats baby dry scalp issues.
Directions- All you have got to do is apply 1 tbsp olive oil to the baby’s scalp for a brief period of 15 minutes. Then using a soft bristled brush, you ought to brush the head. Rinse it off using a shampoo and repeat the process once every week to prevent dry scalp.
4.Olive Oil and egg
Vitamin A and lecithin sterols present in egg yolk prove quite effective when it comes to dealing with dry skin issues. TWith the egg and olive oil for hair growth remedy, adding on top of that antioxidants rich fatty acids in olive oil leave no stones unturned to provide ample nourishment to the scalp.
Directions- Beat the egg yolk well and in it add 3 tbsp olive oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Apply this hair mask for about half an hour. Wash it off using lukewarm water and shampoo. Follow this once in a week to see the desired results.
Excess of anything is bad and same goes for olive oil too. When used in excess amounts, it may prove detrimental to your health.
- It increases the risk of acne and pimple breakouts when used too much.
- It may cause contact dermatitis, eczema, respiratory and other allergies.
- It can lower blood sugar level.
- Its high-fat content may cause digestive disorders and diarrhea.
- Safety of olive oil remains in question when it comes to pregnant and breastfeeding women, hence they ought to be careful.
- People with diabetes should be cautious as olive oil tends to lower blood sugar level.
- It should not be used prior and post surgery period.
- Hot or warm olive oil should not be used on a baby.
Other Home Remedies For Dry Scalp
- Baking soda- Baking soda works wonders to restore the pH balance of the scalp. Besides it also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. All you need is 3 tbsp baking soda and rosewater. Make a paste of them and apply to the scalp. Massage it for 3 minutes and rinse it off.
- Aloe Vera- This elixir of life has calming effect on the dry and itchy scalp. It ensures that proper nourishment reaches the scalp owing to rich presence of amino acids, vitamins, and sugar in it. Scoop out Aloe Vera gel from the leaf and in it add water. Massage this juice on your scalp and hair and leave it be for 20 minutes after which rinse it off.
Gone will be the days of dry scalp troubling you once you incorporate olive oil in your life. The miraculous benefits which this oil offers are plentiful and it is every bit worth the title of LiquidGold. All you have got to do is get to the bottom of how this oil works and how the different types are suited for varying situations.