What is Tinnitus?
Do you always feel like hearing a buzzing or ringing sound which no one else can? Such a condition wherein you hear some constant sound that has no external source is known as Tinnitus(1). It is a common condition suffered by numerous people around you, with no identifiable cure. It is not a disease but can be an indication of some other health issue like damage in the inner ear, hearing loss with age, stress or side-effect of some medication. The condition isn’t severe, and people get used to it, settling with it as a part of their life. But at times the sound is quite high and can affect your normal life making it difficult to concentrate or even hear other sounds. Essential oils for Tinnitus can help reduce the noise levels so that it does not impact your daily life.
Types of Tinnitus
Following are the different types of Tinnitus that you may suffer from:
1. Subjective Tinnitus: It is the most common type of tinnitus caused due to exposure to excessive noise. It may appear or disappear suddenly, and in some instances, the sound may not cease.
2. Objective Tinnitus: Objective Tinnitus is a rare condition which occurs due to vascular deformities or involuntary muscle contractions.
3. Neurological Tinnitus: Meniere’s disease causes neurological Tinnitus. Such a disorder affects the auditory functioning of the nerves leading to conditions like Tinnitus.
4. Somatic Tinnitus: Somatic Tinnitus is a type of condition wherein the sensory system in the body worsens your tinnitus.
5. Pulsatile Tinnitus: In Pulsatile Tinnitus, a person hears a rhythmic pulsating sound. It mostly occurs due to some disturbance in the blood flow.
Symptoms of Tinnitus
A person suffering from Tinnitus hears sound in one or both the ears which can be continuous or intermittent. The sound can be high pitched or low pitched and can be of different types. One may hear:
- Roaring or other unusual noises
Causes of Tinnitus
The common cause of Tinnitus is prolonged exposure to excessive noise. Other reasons may include:
- Head or neck injury
- Ear infection
- Blockage due to Earwax
- Changes in Ear Bones
- Irregularities in Blood Flow
How to use Essential Oils for Tinnitus?
There is no scientific cure for tinnitus yet; hence it is common that people try to experiment with things that can help reduce the annoying noise. If you too are looking for some remedy to treat ringing in ear or tinnitus, then essential oils can be quite beneficial for you. These are extracts obtained from plant parts and have been found to be quite potent in treating various health conditions(2). Their strong fragrance and healing properties can be helpful in alleviating ear tinnitus too. You can rub these oils on the earlobe to see the results.
What are the Essential Oils that are suitable for Tinnitus?
If tinnitus occurs due to a specific medical condition, then it can be treated with medications. But there are no Tinnitus medications for the ringing in the ear that has no underlying cause. That means most of the people suffer from the condition lifelong. There can be times when the sound stops without any intervention. If it does not, and you are looking for some aid, then there are some essential oils for tinnitus that can prove to be of great help.
1. Helichrysum oil can be useful in alleviating Tinnitus trouble
Helichrysum Essential Oil is known to provide relief from Tinnitus. It attributes to the healing and anti-inflammatory properties of the oil(3). The primary cause behind tinnitus is inflammation in the ear or problem in the nerves of ears and the neck. Using Helichrysum oil can be of great help as it reduces the swelling. Helichrysum oil is also known to drain excess fluids from the body. Thus, it effectively prevents the buildup of earwax.
How to use?
- Mix few drops of the oil in coconut oil
- Rub the mixture around the ears
2. CBD Oil is one of the best Essential Oils for Tinnitus
Cannabidiol or CBD oil can ease your Tinnitus trouble. Obtained from Cannabis plant, it is anticonvulsant and has antiepileptic effects which make it quite useful in relaxing the hyperactivity of neurons and soothing the noise(4).
How to use?
- Put two to three drops of the oil under your tongue
- Let it stay for a few minutes and then swallow
- CBD oil is edible, and you can ingest it
- The noises will get reduced so that you can concentrate on your day
3. Castor oil is one of the most effective natural remedies for Tinnitus
Castor oil can be the best remedy for your ear. Its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-viral properties prevent bacteria and fungi from collecting in the ear(5). It also keeps the ear channels clean and restores the function of ear cells.
How to use?
- Pour five to six drops of castor oil in the ear and close it with a cotton ball
- Take out the cotton ball after an hour
- The process should be repeated for four weeks to see results
- Pour seven to eight drops of the oil on the tongue
- Keep it in the mouth for a few minutes
- Drink a glass of water on it
- Repeat it daily for sometime
4. How to cure Tinnitus with Frankincense essential oil blend?
The irritating noise in the ear can be quite troublesome affecting your daily life(6). In the list of the many useful essential oils for Tinnitus also comes the Frankincense oil that with its healing properties can ease your trouble.
How to use?
- Take a drop of frankincense oil and mix it with a drop each of lavender and cypress oils
- Add the mixture to a pot of boiling water
- Cover your head with a towel and try to direct the steam to your ear
- Do this as long as possible to lessen the noise
5. How to use olive oil in the ear for Tinnitus?
Olive oil can be an excellent remedy to treat tinnitus. It is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids that are a solution for all our ear troubles. Further consuming the oil can calm inflammation and treat tinnitus.
How to use?
- Pour two to three drops of warm extra virgin olive oil in the affected ear
- Leave it in the ear for a few minutes
- Keep your head tilted so that the oil does not come out
- Drain the oil
6. How to get rid of Tinnitus with Cypress Essential Oil?
Cypress Essential oil helps in regulating blood circulation. Thus, it can treat pulsing tinnitus which occurs due to disturbances in blood flow. The oil also helps calm the nerves and reduces stress which can cause hearing trouble.
How to use?
- Take a few drops of Cypress oil
- Apply it around the ear to increase blood circulation
7. Get relief from Tinnitus with Patchouli
The spicy sweet aroma of Patchouli is hard to resist. You may hate it or love it, but you cannot ignore it. The Patchouli Essential Oil with its intense fragrance can do wonders for ears and is an excellent choice for those who are looking to get rid of Tinnitus. Application of the oil helps increase blood circulation in the ear and improves ear drainage preventing the buildup of ear wax.
How to use?
- Take a drop of the oil
- Massage it gently on the earlobe and behind the ear.
- To increase the effect combine Patchouli oil with Helichrysum oil
8. Juniper Berry oil can help reduce ringing in the ear due to Tinnitus
Juniper Berry oil also makes it to the list of essential oils for tinnitus. Its aroma is similar to that pine but is a little stronger than that. Its detoxifying properties help clean the blood and provide relief from the ringing in the ears due to an infection or inflammation(7).
How to use?
- Take two to three drops of the oil
- Rub it all around the ear
- Do it daily for some time to reduce the sound
9. Get rid of ringing in the ears by using Petitgrain Essential oil for Tinnitus
Petitgrain Oil is an excellent remedy for those looking for how to cure Tinnitus. The essential oil derived from the leaves of orange is antispasmodic, i.e., it helps calm the muscle spasms. Thus, if you are suffering from Tinnitus due to spasms in nerves or muscles, then you can use this oil to treat the trouble. Its soothing effect also helps reduce the stress levels.
How to use?
- To cure the ringing in the ears, take few drops of the oil
- Massage the oil on your earlobe
- Repeat the process for a few days to reduce the noise.
10. Lavender is one of the best essential oils for Tinnitus
Lavender with its numerous benefits is one of the most popular essential oils that you can use to treat almost any condition. Lavender oil is a decongestant that helps clear the ear passages and improves the blood circulation in the ear to reduce the noise(8). Its calming effect relaxes you and reduces the stress levels.
How to use
- Lavender oil is easy to use. Take a few drops of the oil and massage it on the ear
- It will help increase circulation
- Inhale the oil to de-stress yourself
Read More: Lavender Oil Benefits
Side-Effects of Essential oils
Essential oils have been getting famous for their positive effects. But these do have side-effects that can harm you. These may cause:
- Rashes on the skin
- Allergic reactions
- A headache due to strong aroma
The essential oils are quite compelling; hence you should always use the oils in diluted form. Topical application of essential oils for tinnitus would be the most effective way to reduce the trouble.
Also Read: Home Remedies for Skin Rashes
Other Home Remedies for Tinnitus
Mentioned below are some of the home remedies for Tinnitus that can help ease the ringing sound in the ear.
Avoid Loud Noise
One of the major causes of Tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. To curb the issue try to evade loud noises that can worsen your condition.
Cut down on alcohol consumption
Alcohol is known to dilate blood vessels and increase the blood flow, especially in the inner ear region. To avoid noises in the ear, you need to keep a check on your alcohol consumption.
Manage your Stress levels
Increase stress in another significant cause for Tinnitus. Include exercises and meditation in your routine to manage your stress levels.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do essential oils expire?
Essential oils in their pure form do not expire, but they have a shelf life. Oxygen, light, and heat do affect them and their quality.
2. Do essential oils contain water?
No, essential oils that are in their pure form do not contain water.
Tinnitus is not a severe condition, and people often try to ignore the trouble. But at times the problem can aggravate, and noises increase. You may find difficulty in carrying out routine functions due to the annoying noise. Essential oils for Tinnitus can help in the noise reduction so that the condition does not hamper your daily life routine.