In the stressful and exhaustive lifestyle of today, quality sleep is hard to get. Blessed are those who enjoy good rest after a hectic day. However, such people are hard to find. Many of you would be finding it difficult to sleep even after a tiresome day. Sleep disordersare a common trouble today with more than half of the population finding it difficult to sleep. There are numerous medications available to treat such issues but taking in high dosages of medicated drugs can be harmful to the body. Thus, parallel treatment of using essential oils is getting quite popular nowadays. Essential oils for sleep not only help in effectively curbing the issue but also do not pose grave threats like other medications.
Types of Sleep Disorders
Following are the common types of sleep disorders
- Insomnia: Insomnia is a condition wherein a person is not able to sleep at night.
- Sleep Apnea: Sleep Apnea is a sleep disorder in which breathing temporarily stops while asleep, causing you to be awake.
- Narcolepsy: It is a condition wherein a person suffers from excessive daytime sleepiness even after a restful sleep at night.
- Restless Legs Syndrome: It is a condition wherein a person experiences an irresistible urge to move legs or even arms at night.
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder: Sleep involves three stages, and the last stage of deep sleep is REM when a person starts dreaming. An average person while dreaming does not move but those suffering from REM act out in their dreams. Some talk, shout or even jump out of bed.
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders: Such disorders happen when the biological clock of a person which regulates sleep, gets disturbed. Some common complications related to it are Jet Lag, Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder and Shift Work Sleep Disorder.
Recommended Read: how to get rid of jet lag
Symptoms of Sleep Disorder
The typical symptoms of a sleep disorder are
- Finding difficulty in sleeping at night
- Irritation or sleepiness during the day
- Falling asleep while driving or reading
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Feel tired and exhaustive all through the day
- React Slowly
Causes of Sleep Disorder
Some of the common reasons related to sleep disorders are-
- Chronic Pain: Physical troubles like pain, headaches(1), arthritis may cause difficulty in sleeping, leading to sleep disorders.
- Nocturia: Frequent urination due to urinary tract diseases or hormonal imbalance may also aid in sleep disorders.
- Respiratory Trouble: Breathing issues related to cold or other infections can also cause trouble in sleeping.
- Depression and Anxiety: Depression and sleep are closely related. Persons suffering from depression or anxiety are known to develop sleep disorders.
Not only adults but kids also suffer from sleep disorders. If your child feels sleepy throughout the day, he might be suffering from such trouble. You need to monitor the toddler sleep to know the severity of the condition.
Also Read: Natural Remedies For Anxiety
Essential Oils for Sleep
Aroma is known to have a significant effect on the brain. Fragrances can trigger emotions and feelings. These can also help in treating certain health conditions. Aromatherapy which makes use of essential oils is getting famous for the positive effects that it has on treating certain health conditions.
Essential oils are an extract from the plants with a strong aroma. The aromatic molecules of such oils trigger brain cells and help calm you down. Further, the sedative effect of such oils promotes sleep.
How to use essential oils for sleep?
Essential oils are known to be highly volatile and transdermal. These rapidly diffuse into the air and can easily penetrate the skin. You can directly inhale these or massage the oils on the body.
However, topical application of such oils on the body is the best way to treat sleep disorders. By massaging them on the body, the oils not only reach your olfactory nerve but also enter your bloodstream quickly causing an immediate effect.
Which are the essential oils that are good for sleep?
Elucidated below is the list of using essential oils for sleep:
1. Lavender essential oil is the best oil to get quality sleep
Lavender essential oil is the most active oil to enjoy a restful sleep. The soothing aroma of the oil is known to promote sleep. Lavender essential oil is one of the favorite essential oils for sleep. The smell of the oil will help you get good sleep.
How to use?
- Pour two to three drops of lavender essential oil on your palm
- Rub your palm
- Inhale the oil
- Rub it on your pillow
2. Use CBD oil for sleep
CBD oil obtained from the cannabis plant is highly effective in treating sleep disorder. You can use it in the following ways to get a good night’s sleep.
How to use?
- Directly pour a drop of CBD tincture on your tongue
- Vaporize the oil using a vape pen and inhale it
- CBD essential oil is one of the best methods to get sound sleep
3. Magnesium oil is a useful aid for a restful sleep
Magnesium is known to be effective in promoting sleep. Studies have shown that magnesium deficiency in the body can cause sleep deprivation.
Modern diet and increased stress level are known to be the significant causes of magnesium deficiency in the body. Thus, the most effective remedy to cure sleep disorder is supplementing the body with magnesium by using magnesium oil.
How to use?
- Take magnesium oil on your palms
- And massage it on your body
- It is a quick way to supplement magnesium into the body and promote sound sleep
4. How to get better sleep with Cedarwood essential oil?
Cedarwood essential oil is known to directly affect the functioning of the pineal gland which releases Melatonin. Melatonin is a natural sleep-inducing hormone produced by the human body. Thus, instead of wasting time wondering how to get better sleep, grab a bottle of the Cedarwood Essential oil and solve all your worries immediately.
How to use?
- Take a few drops of Cedarwood oil
- Apply it on the bottom of your feet
- Cover them up with socks and hit the bed
- If you do not like the smell of Cedarwood essential oil, then you mix some lavender oil in it
5. Use Vetiver essential oil for sleep
Vetiver essential oil counts among the most effective home remedies to treat sleep disorders. The rich and earthy smell of the oil has a grounding effect on your senses. It helps you calm down and stabilize. The smell of the oil is quite distinct and sharp; hence, it is better to make a blend of it then using it directly.
How to use?
- Make Vetiver Oil blend using three drops of Chamomile essential oil, two drops of Lavender essential oil and one drop of Vetiver Essential oil
- Place the oils in a diffuser and enjoy sound sleep
6. How to fix sleep disorder using Roman Chamomile essential oil?
Roman Chamomile Essential oil(2) is known to be quite effective against insomnia. The herb has therapeutic properties that help relax mind and body. Further, it acts as a sedative and enables you to catch sound sleep naturally. Due to its sweet and sedative aroma, Roman Chamomile is known to be one of the most effective essential oils for sleep.
How to use?
- Take the Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Add it to your room’s diffuser
- In no time the comforting aroma of the oil will fill in your room
Also Read: Chamomile Tea Benefits
7. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Sleep does wonders for you
Ylang Ylang Essential oil is an excellent remedy for those looking for how to fix their sleeping issues. The powerful aroma of the oil is known to trigger the feeling of well-being, thus reducing stress.
It also helps in generating a sense of happiness and heal emotional trauma. Therefore, any time if you are feeling too anxious or are unable to sleep, use Ylang Ylang Essential oil.
How to use?
- Inhale the oil directly
- Or, add it to the diffuser filling your room with a soothing aroma
8. Sandalwood Essential Oil is quite useful for quality sleep
The benefits of Sandalwood essential oil(3) are many including relief from chronic insomnia. The woody scent of the oil promotes quality sleep by reducing stress. It greatly helps in relaxing cramped muscles that can be a probable cause of improper sleep.
How to use?
- Massage the oil on the affected area to relieve pain due to cramped muscles
- Or, add the oil to the diffuser to fill your room with the woody scent
9. Valerian Essential Oil also promotes sound sleep
The sleep-inducing properties of Valerian make it a useful essential oil for rest. It helps calm your brain so that you can sleep comfortably.
How to use?
- Put one to two drops of the oil in the diffuser
- Run it an hour before your bed-time so that the room fills with the calming aroma
- You can alternatively mix two to three drops of the oil in a teaspoon of carrier oil
- Massage it on your feet, forehead or chest
- You can also add the oil to a warm cup of tea
10. Bergamot essential oil helps to get quality sleep
Bergamot Essential oil has a compelling aroma which is soothing at the same time. The oil is known to stabilize mood, relieving you of stress and thus promoting quality sleep. You can use it in numerous ways to enjoy the positive effect of one of the most potent essentials oil for sleep.
How to use?
- Rub a drop of the oil on your palms and directly inhale it
- Or, add it to the diffuser and let its fragrance spread around
- The fresh fragrance of the oil will relieve you of all your melancholy
Side-Effects of Essential Oils
Essential oils are known to be quite useful in treating certain health conditions, but they have some side-effects too.
- These can cause an allergic reaction
- Some oils are known to have counter-effect on medications related to diabetes, blood pressure, etc.
- All essential oils are not ingestible. Some are only for a topically use.
- Some oils may cause trouble for pregnant women and nursing mothers.
The essential oils are made up of concentrated plant extracts and are quite compelling. Hence, these need to be diluted even for topical use.
Other Home remedies to get Natural Sleep
While using various essential oils for sleep, it is highly recommended that you should adopt lifestyle changes that help promote quality sleep.
- Stick to a bedtime routine: Most sleeping troubles occur due to an irregular sleeping pattern. Making a strict habit of going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day helps your body clock to adjust to a regular pattern.
- Manage your stress with exercise: Anxiety and stress are most common causes of sleep disorders. To fight those manage your stress levels through yoga, meditation or other practices. Maintaining a journal or listening to soothing music also helps get good sleep.
- Create a tranquil sleep-friendly environment: To get proper sleep, it is necessary that your surroundings are relaxing and less disturbing. Try to keep away from electronic gadgets that may disturb you.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What amount of essential oil should one use?
Response: Essential oils are in concentrated forms and are quite sturdy. You should always start with a little and increase as per the requirement.
2. Are essential oils safe during pregnancy?
Response: Most of the essential oils like Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Chamomile, etc. are mild and safe during pregnancy. But to avoid any complications it is best to take the advice of a doctor.
People often take sleep disorders very lightly, but such disorders can have severe effects on health. One should identify the problem at its early stages and treat it immediately. Essential oils for sleep are growing famous for treating sleep disorders for their immediate effects.