For many people, severe joint pain is a common experience. If you take enough rest, this pain often comes down. But if this isn’t coming down and the pain is abnormal, it might be Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a commonly seen disease nowadays due to the modern lifestyle and increasing number of a diabetes patient, yes diabetes is a significant reason why most of the times people are falling prey to this autoimmune disease.
In this disease, the body cells start killing other cells in simple terms which leads to immense swelling and pain. Now, it is possible to manage this condition with help of highly efficient essential oils for rheumatoid arthritis.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The symptoms shown up by patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis are –
- Pain in the joints
- Stiffness in the joints
- Swelling in the joints
- Loss of movement in joints
The swelling of joints is mostly seen in fingers of hands and legs although it can occur in various other parts like the joints of the elbow and rheumatoid arthritis in the knee, etc. too.
Arthritis has become a very commonly found disease among the people aging 40 to 60 years, and people suffering from diabetes mellitus are likely to become a victim of rheumatoid arthritis. Due to this disease sometimes, the body can experience rheumatoid arthritis rash. Here essential oils come into picture which can prove a gently and effortless solution to arthritis.
Types of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
There are several types of rheumatoid arthritis such as:
- Seropositive RA: Caused due to antibodies which lead to joint pain due to an attack on the immune system.
- Seronegative RA: Caused by the presence of Rheumatoid Factor (antibody) in the blood.
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Under this condition, people under 17 years of age suffer from RA.
Causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Genetic causes
What are Essential Oils Good for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
1. Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Why use Eucalyptus oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Eucalyptus Oil can be used as analgesics as it relieves pain and inflammation of the joints. This oil contains a compound, Eucalyptol which works as a vasodilator and increases the size of the blood vessels hence more blood can flow and circulate the body.
How to use Eucalyptus Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Take around 8 – 10 drops of Eucalyptus Oil, peppermint oil
- Take 3-5 drops of Moringa oil ( like olive oil )
- Mix all of them and store it in a dark place (in a bottle )
- Rub it onto aching joints and get an instant to relieve from pain
2. Frankincense Essential Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Why use Frankincense Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
This analgesic oil starts working by blocking leukotrienes – compounds which initiates inflammatory responses to the body. Hence it relieves the pain and also acts as a sedative.
How to use Frankincense oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Take two drops of Frankincense essential oil and dilute it in a carrier oil like grapeseed oil and mix it well.
- Apply it on the joints and massage to release pain.
3. Evening primrose oil
Why use Evening primrose oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
After application of Primrose oil is consumed, the body converts it into a potent anti-inflammatory which reduces the pain and stiffness. This oil also does a similar function to release maximum pain from the body.
How to use Evening primrose oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Take 10ml of Evening Primrose Oil
- Take a few drops of olive oil with it and apply on the joint to massage.
4. Turmeric Essential Oil
Why use Turmeric Essential Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Turmeric or Cucurmin blocks a molecule named NF-kB which is responsible for activating genes in the cells for inflammation. The therapeutic turmeric oil has outstanding anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use Turmeric Essential Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Take 4 -5 drops of turmeric essential oil with a tbsp.
- Take a few drops of carrier oil ( Like coconut oil or jojoba oil ) and mix it together
- Apply it on the joint of pain and massage.
5. Basil Essential Oil
Why use Basil Essential Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Basil oil is rich in compounds like monoterpenes which has an analgesic effect. Scientists believe that basil oil acts on the receptors of the brain and interacts with the pain related chemicals finally leading to a reduction in pain.
How to use Basil Essential Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of basil oil with a carrier oil like amla oil or almond oil
- Apply it on the rheumatoid arthritis hands or joint where there is a pain.
How to use these oils for treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Most of the oils mentioned above are usable with a carrier oil for massaging the joints where there are pain and inflammation. These oils are a perfect and efficient solution to rheumatoid arthritis. These oils are readily available in the market and have an aesthetic aroma
DIY For Essential Oils –
- For pain relief – Take Eucalyptus Oil ( 8 drops), Grape-seed Oil ( 14ml), Sweet Almond Carrier Oil ( 44 ml ), Peppermint Essential Oil ( 8 drops), Lavender Essential Oil ( 8 drops )
- Mix all the ingredients in a 60ml bottle and shake it well.
- To use it, dispense 1tbsp of the mixture on the palm or hand and massage.
- We can use the above same recipes with some other carrier oils like Olive oil, Amla oil and jojoba oil with other essential oils like Basil Oil, Turmeric Oil, etc.
- Make sure the essential oil you’re buying it from a trusted seller as there might be chances of adulteration if the seller is not trustworthy.
- Do throw the oil if it is more than 2 or 3 years old as it may not function and cause allergy on the skin.
- Dilute these oils accordingly as they’re highly concentrated.
- Don’t use essential oils on any damaged skin as it can cause further problems.
- Don’t ingest it directly; it can prove to be toxic
- Don’t expose it to the sun directly.
As the essential oils are highly concentrated in nature, they require care for usage. These oils shouldn’t be given to pregnant women and people suffering from serious health issues. Also, these oils have varied reactions for a variety of body types so one should consult Healthcare expert for the same before using it.
- These oils are sun-sensitive and hence can cause skin discoloring and irritation.
- It can cause complications for pregnant women if these oils are used.
- The oils should not be swallowed or consumed orally without advice from experts as it can be hazardous.
Other Home Remedies
Arthritis can be treated at home with a variety of exercises and easy treatments.
- Exercise applies stress to the muscles which are very good and makes the muscles more flexible. Physiotherapy is another good option which can be quickly done at home with specific basic techniques like pressing a sponge ball.
- Hot and cold therapy is another efficient method to ease the pain by taking a warm bath or hot massage which relaxes the muscles and initiates blood flow, later using an ice pack to relieve the pain for 15 mins.
- For arthritis patient, it is best advised to have turmeric, ginger, low allergenic food, green tea and some other forms of food which is good for the muscles and reduction of inflammation
[Read: Cure Arthritis Physiotherapy]
Arthritis is a chronic disease can’t be treated overnight, but these essential oils are very beneficial for its treatment. This treatment of oils can be good support beside the primary treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. It can turn harmful as well if it is directly used on the body or consumed directly hence it should be taken care off.
Many of these essential oils are extracted from plants which makes it as the best source of medicine. A natural remedy to conditions like these is very safe and effectual with decidedly fewer side effects, and hence anyone can opt for this treatment.
The oils are not only applied to this particular disease, but it is also used for treating various other diseases like reducing inflammation, hair problems, skin problems, relieves a migraine and many more. This oil extract can be much more than giving aroma to the entire universe; it can give life to those who’re sensing it.