Pneumonia is a type of condition where inflammation of lungs is experienced and alveoli which are air sacs get affected. It is commonly caused by inflection with microorganism, viruses or bacteria. It increases the risk of lung diseases like COPD, Asthma and heart failure
Types, Symptoms, Causes of Pneumonia
Pneumonia(1) can be classified into the following types:
- Fungal Pneumonia: Fungi from birds’ poop or from any type of soil, inhaling in large amounts near these things can cause pneumonia.
- Mycoplasma Pneumonia: These are usually seen in youngsters and older children are caused by something which is having common traits of bacteria and viruses.
- Viral Pneumonia: Caused by some common respiratory viruses.
- Bacterial Pneumonia: This is the most common type and is caused due to Streptococcus pneumonia.
- A headache
- Severe pains
- Severe aches
- A dry and hacking cough
- High fever
The causes of pneumonia can be stated as under:
- Influenza viruses
- Respiratory syncytial virus
- Renal failure
What essential oils are good for Pneumonia?
There are many types of essential oils with their spectrum of properties for fighting pneumonia and making those concerns go away. Essential oils are of great help without any negative side effects on their users. Here are some essential oils for pneumonia.
With so many times of eatables and beverages present in our diets with extreme hot and cold temperature that it is quite common to get pneumonia, but this common problem does cause a lot of troubles. With great discomfort, it takes time to go away and makes conditions worse in some cases if left untreated.
Hygiene is also one of the main causes of pneumonia and it can influence it reoccurrences too. A good hygiene is a must for staying away from pneumonia. Here, let me help you to understand the importance of using essential oils for pneumonia.
How to use Essential Oils for pneumonia?
Following are the top essential oils which have practical benefits to cure pneumonia-
1. Tea tree Oil for pneumonia
Why one should use tea tree oil for pneumonia?
Tea tree oil is used for multiple purposes since ancient times. Tea tree oil is beneficial for preventing and treating pneumonia it will remove bacteria, virus through coughing and bring down pneumonia(2).
How to use tea tree oil for pneumonia?
- Take one large bowl to add hot water in it
- Add one drop of tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil in it
- Take one thick towel
- Apply this mixture as a streamer place towel so that steam will not be wasted and inhaled directly in lungs for better effect
Also Read: Effective Essential Oils for Flu
2. Thieves oil for pneumonia
Why use thieves’ oil for pneumonia
Thieves essential oil is well known to reduce stress. But it is also used for neutralizing bacterial and viral pathogens. Strengthens respiratory systems, lowers fever.
How to use thieves’ oil for Pneumonia
- It is ideally taken as steam by using a towel and inhaling the steam by mixing two drops in hot water.
- One can also add one drop of thieves’ oil and one drop of lemon oil in hot water and drink this mixture as tea.
It will help to reduce a cough or infection.
Also Read: Best Essential Oils for Cold
3. Black seed oil for pneumonia
Why one should use black seed oil for pneumonia?
Long lasted a cough and fever may result in asthma. Black seed oil is hyper-responsive to the respiratory system(3). Due to its benefits in lung diseases, it is also famous for lung cancer treatments.
How to use black seed oil for pneumonia?
Black seed oil is made from Nigella sativa plant as the oil comes from compression of the seeds of the plant.
- You can consume black seed oil directly
- Else take one teaspoon on black seed oil and one teaspoon honey and eat it
5. Camphor essential oil for pneumonia
Why use Camphor essential oil for pneumonia
Camphor oil reduces pain. It also reduces inflammation and joint pain. Pneumonia usually minimizes the breathing rate or makes breathing difficult. Camphor oil(4) relieves congestion from the respiratory system.
How to use Camphor essential oil for pneumonia
- Take ¼ cup shea butter, 4 drops peppermint essential oil, 4 drops lavender essential oil, and 2 drops camphor oil
- Heat shea butter and after cooling add the mixture of essential oils to it
- Apply the gel on the chest or rub chest
7. Peppermint oil for pneumonia
Why one should use peppermint oil for pneumonia?
Peppermint contains potent decongestion compounds that help to break down thick phlegm, drain and expel mucus efficiently. Usually, when a cough lasts for a long time it mainly causes pneumonia thus discharge of mucus helps in speedy recovery from pneumonia.
How to use peppermint oil for pneumonia?
- Take ¼ cup of shea butter, heat it and then cool
- To the shea butter add 4 drops peppermint essential oil, 4 drops lavender essential oil, and 2 drops camphor oil.
- Rub the gel on the chest.
Also Read: Effective Essential Oils for Cough
8. Frankincense oil for pneumonia
Why one should use Frankincense oil for pneumonia?
Frankincense oil for pneumonia is ideal for rubbing or massage purpose. Frankincense oil for pneumonia is a decongestant, menthol rich; this will provide soothing, pain alleviating effect on pneumonia symptoms.
How to use Frankincense oil for pneumonia?
- Rubbing Frankincense oil on the chest is incredibly helpful in drawing mucus lodged deep within the lungs.
- Doing this 2-3 times a day will help to break mucus and reduce the intensity of a cough.
9. Eucalyptus oil for pneumonia
Why one should use eucalyptus oil for pneumonia?
Eucalyptus oil(5) has antibacterial properties that help to fight against bacteria, and this helps to break mucus and stops growth and action of bacteria. It also helps to destroy germs in lungs.
How to use eucalyptus oil for pneumonia?
- Take one large bowl to add hot water in it.
- Add one drop of tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil in it.
- Take one thick towel.
- Place the towel over your head and inhale the steam directly.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
Also Read: Eucalyptus Oil Benefits
Risks and Precautions of using Essential Oils for Pneumonia
Pneumonia patient suffers from a cough, cold, fever initially. If ignored, this cough may cause severe health issues like chest pain, death, diabetes in some cases death.
Hence, due care should be taken from starting like when one is suffering from flu, cold, cough which is present for more than usual expected time then it should be tested by a health expert, and a line of treatment should be started depending on the severity of the disease.
This cough may be dry or mucous yellowing and greenish, or high fever. Essential oils for pneumonia are an integral part of the best home remedies and natural remedies for pneumonia. Depending on the type of pneumonia treatment and symptoms will differ.
Other Oils for pneumonia
Here are a few other oils, which can be used in addition to essential oils for pneumonia for long-lasting relief from the ailment.
1. Cod liver oil for pneumonia
Why one should use cod liver oil for pneumonia?
Pneumonia is successfully treatable with vitamin dosage. The cod liver oil(6) contains omega-3 fatty acids, may help in pain. And also it contains vitamin A richly, vitamin D. these vitamins helps to reduce body temperature in case of fever.
How to use cod liver oil for pneumonia?
Cod liver is taken as a part of a diet. Due to high vitamin contents, it is famous as a vitamin supplement.
- No need to consume it by mixing with anything, cod liver oil can be taken as it is.
- Can be taken 10ml or 20 ml depending on the purpose.
2. Coconut oil for pneumonia
Why one should use coconut oil for pneumonia?
Most of the essential oils are not used directly as they are strong. Coconut oil(7) is the best carrier oil as it can be used to dilute such strong oils. Also, it keeps one hydrated by giving essential energy nutrients.
How to use coconut oil for pneumonia?
- Take ½ cup of coconut oil
- Add five drops of thyme oil, 5 drops rosewood oil, five drops of lavender oil
- Mix them well
- Rub this mixture for 5 minutes
- Do this thrice a day
6. Castor Essential oil for pneumonia
Why one should use Castor oil for pneumonia?
Castor oil is popular for lung cleansing. Castor oil stimulates waste taking away and helps toxins out of the lungs as dexterously as the uterus and digestive system. It also reduces inflammation and improves lymphatic circulation for better breathing practice.
How to use Castor oil for pneumonia?
Castor oil stains anything that it touches. Hence use a towel to avoid everything getting stained.
- Heat the castor oil to bearable temperature soak some 3-4 cotton cloth strips in it.
- Apply these strips on chest covering lungs area.
It will help to remove toxins and clean lungs.
Other Home Remedies for pneumonia
Natural remedies will help to give temporary medication for pneumonia. There are various anti-biotic and anti-viral properties available but along with that essential oil will provide home remedies to such temporary swellings. Some home remedies are: –
- Ginger or turmeric powder: Turmeric powder has many benefits in a cough, flu. Chest pain is one of the symptoms of pneumonia which is the result of a persistent cough. Chopping small size ginger and adding it in ice will reduce chest pain. Turmeric powder two teaspoons in milk will help to reduce a cough.
- Vapor rub and gargling: Vapor rub will not only help with the blocked nose but also helps in reducing itch in case of pneumonia. Hot water and salt mixture can be used as a home remedy to cure a cough. It will remove mucus by coughing.
- Peppermint, eucalyptus, and fenugreek tea: Many warn herbal teas will help to remove a cough. Peppermint and eucalyptus will help to soothe the throat. And fenugreek tea will help to break the mucus and remove it, and this will reduce pain and inflammation in the chest due to pneumonia.
Also Read: Natural Home Remedies for Cough
Pneumonia causes disorder of the lungs or respiratory tract. The human body has particular tissues which remove foreign particle through the action of a cough and sneeze. When a person suffers from pneumonia, these air sacs are filled with fluid and coughing makes it difficult to breathe correctly.
A robust immune system healthy with extra care will help to cure the disease. Essential oils for pneumonia will help to build the immune system and cure initial symptoms of the disease.
1. Is pneumonia contagious?
Response: The flu and cough in pneumonia can be contagious. The tuberculosis pneumonia is contracted due to mucus from a tuberculosis patient in public places. But tuberculosis is a stage where your lungs are weakened. Hence it cannot be contagious. But its symptoms can be.
2. What tests are required to be done to diagnose pneumonia?
Response: Pneumonia starts with fever, cough, and cold but if it lasted longer than usual will make a person suffer from symptoms of pneumonia. When antibiotic or vaccines do not affect on such cough then x-rays, blood tests, bronchoscopy, sputum test should be done to diagnose if its pneumonia. Further, what is the type of pneumonia?