Flu is an illness of the respiratory system which is extremely contagious and is caused by influenza, i.e., A or B viruses. It attacks the body usually in the times of winter season. The flu virus spreads in the lower or upper tract of the respiration system of the body.
Approximately 20% of the people in the United States develop flu every year. Essential oils for flu may help relieve the condition to a great extent. There are more than 100 types of viruses that cause the flu, and new viruses evolve every year.
Thus, this disease has no end basically and keeps on recurring even after your body immunes itself from one type of virus, a different kind of virus attacks the body and causes the infection.
- Physical interaction with the infected person
- Sneezing or coughing of the infected person near you
- Attack by the Flu virus
- Weak immune system
- Kids and old age people are targeted more often due to age
- Exposure to the air and surroundings having the virus
- Chronic illness
- Seasonal changes
- Poor nutrition
- High temperature
- Joint aches
- Cold sweats
- A sore throat
- A Cough
- Runny or blocked nose
- Aching muscles
- Nasal congestion
- Persistent fever
- Chest discomfort
Recommended Read: Home Remedies to Cure Sore Throat
- Type A virus
- Type B virus
- Type C virus
Essential oils for Flu
Essential oils are plant extracts and are used for curing many ailments and diseases since centuries. Essential oils for flu have antiviral, astringent, anti-inflammatory, warming, antimicrobial, antibacterial, expectorant, pain-relieving, and disinfectant properties which provide relief in the condition of the flu to the sufferer(1). They improve circulation and enhance the immune system.
What are the essential oils that are good for the Flu?
- Tea tree oil
- Coconut oil
- CBD oil
- Cypress oil
- Thyme oil
- Oregano essential oil
- Clary sage essential oil
- Juniper berry essential oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Peppermint oil
[ Read: Foods for Flu: What to Eat and Drink to Recover Faster ]
Ways to Use
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a natural remedy for getting rid of the Flu. The oil has antibacterial, antiseptic, and antiviral properties which make it a great alternative to synthetic chemicals and flu medications. It diminishes bronchial congestion, sore throats, and coughs. It helps to kill germs and acts as an excellent disinfectant.
How to use?
- You can apply tea tree oil directly to your skin on the neck areas and sinuses with a cotton pad, bud tissue, or directly with your fingertip
- You can also add a few drops of the oil in an oil diffuser or a spray bottle and spray it in your surroundings
[ Recommended Read: Home Remedies for Cough ]
2. Coconut Oil
The main components of coconut oils are MCFAs (Medium- Chain Fatty Acids). They have great antimicrobial effects and kill disease-causing microorganisms(2). They efficiently kill fungi, viruses, and bacteria in the body. Coconut oil is the best treatment for the flu caused due to the infections housed on the body through a virus. It is very beneficial for toddler flu.
How to use?
- You can use the coconut oil in the replacement of your cooking oil
- You can also use it on the skin like a moisturizer
3. CBD Oil
CBD oil or Cannabis oil has a lot of vitamins and minerals which improve your health condition. Along with antibacterial, it has antiviral, anti-aging, wound-healing, and moisturizing properties. It tackles the cold, cough, and other concerns associated with the flu readily.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of CBD oil in your cooking oil and ingest it
- You can also add a few drops of CBD oil in a carrier oil
- Apply it on your head, nose, and throat
4. Cypress Oil
Cypress essential oil is an excellent solution to cure the flu aches. It has an anti-toxic effect which helps relieve cold and flu. It also has natural anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties which help ease the congestion and sore throats associated with the flu condition and infection. It also has pain relieving properties and assists in providing relief from pain in the muscles during the flu.
How to use?
- You can add a few drops of Cypress oil along with ginger oil, grapefruit oil, juniper berry, and carrier oil in your daily bathing water and bath with the same
5. Thyme Oil
Thyme essential oil is an excellent decongestant and helps to fight fatigue. It is a natural stress reliever and also an antidepressant. Its antiviral properties help in fighting the flu and colds. It is rich in ricinoleic acid which helps fight the virus causing the flu.
How to use?
- Add a tablespoon of thyme essential oil in boiling water
- Cover your face with a towel and bring your face to a reasonable distance from the water
- Let the steam reach your face
- It will help unclog blocked nose and sore throat
[ Also Read: Home Remedies to cure Influenza ]
6. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is a super-effective essential oil for treating the flu. It has antimicrobial and antiviral properties which drastically reduce the symptoms usually seen in the sufferers of the upper respiratory tract ailments. It cures coughs, colds, and sore throats. It is an efficient remedy for chest and nose congestion and eases breathing. It is also useful in treating chesty coughs.
How to use?
- You can massage the oil on the nose, temples, head, and throat
- Along with essential oregano oil, add a few drops of rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil to make a blend
- Add it to an oil diffuser
7. Clary Sage Oil
Clary sage essential oil has numerous health benefits and uses. It has antiseptic, digestive, antispasmodic, antidepressant, anticonvulsive, antibacterial, astringent, carminative, sedative, stomachic, and nervine properties(3). It helps relieve pain, cough, cold, soreness, blockage in the nose, and chest congestion during the flu infection and condition. It also helps fight fatigue. These properties make it one of the most effective essential oils for flu.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of clary sage essential oil in your hot water for bathing along with a few drops of tangerine essential oil and coconut oil to dilute it
- Add a few drops of the oil along with a few drops of peppermint oil in a bottle and inhale it from the bottle to unblock respiratory tract
8. Juniper Berry Oil
Juniper berry essential oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial abilities. It treats infections and allergies very well. The oil detoxifies the body and serves as an excellent remedy for treating the flu. It has antirheumatic, stimulating, diuretic, antiseptic, depurative, antiviral, and stomachic properties to have a powerful effect on the curing of the flu, and for detoxifying the body.
How to use?
- The oil is mild and gives best results when applied on the body. Apply on the temples, head, forehead, wrist, neck areas, and the areas where you feel pain and aches during the flu infection
- Dilute the oil with fennel oil and carrier oil for better results
9. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil has antiviral, antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help make the body free from the bacteria and viruses that cause or make the flu infection severe. It is an excellent remedy for reducing chesty coughs and eases breathing. It acts as a detoxifying agent.
How to use?
- You can mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil
- Diffuse it in an oil diffuser
- You can also include the oil during steam bath, hot bath or even a vaporizer
[ Read More: Eucalyptus Oil Benefits ]
10. Peppermint oil for curing the flu
Peppermint oil is a fantastic cleanser and decongestant for your body. It has a pungent, cooling, clean, and menthol aroma which unlocks the nose and chest congestion. It revives the depleted energy levels and enhances the immune system. It battles fatigue and improves concentration. The oil is helpful in soothing nausea and stomach flu. It also relieves sore muscles, body aches, and muscles spasms. It is one of the most beneficial essential oils for flu.
How to use?
- Products having peppermint oil are readily available in the market, and you can apply them to your body
- You can also use a few drops of the oil in an oil diffuser
- Add a few drops of the oil in a glass of water and ingest it each day
Essential oils may cause specific side effects like irritation on the skin, rashes, etc. These reactions occur when your skin is sensitive towards the oils. Check the oils properly before using on the surface.
The direct application of the essential oils on the skin does not suit everybody and can exaggerate the allergy by the infection. Overly sensitive skin is not able to adopt all the essential oils for flu and may get highly itchy after use.
Always close the lid of the oils properly after every use. It is recommended to use the oils only after consulting your doctor. You can also take a patch test at the back of your hand to be thoroughly sure about the receptivity of your skin towards the oil.
Other Home Remedies/Natural Remedies for Headaches
- Let go of cold water
- Increase your intake of Vitamin D and Vitamin C
- Ginger juice helps
- Drink green tea
- Consume garlic and elderberry
- Chicken soup helps
- Take steam every night before sleeping
- Work out daily
- Include probiotic-rich food items in your routine
- Take salt water
- Take warm baths
1. Peppermint Oil Made My Skin Quite Itchy. Why?
Peppermint oil has a cooling effect. Direct application of the oil on the skin might not be the right way to use it; especially on sensitive skin. Your doctor might be able to help you better. Make sure you consult with him before applying any oil on your body.
2. Can Essential Oils Treat the Flu Permanently?
Flu can be treated permanently with essential oils; however, with a new species of virus, the problem may reoccur. Also, in severe cases, flu medication may be required.
Essential oils for flu are a house of natural remedies. The flu and its infection effects can be treated entirely with the regular and accurate use of essential oils along with taking necessary precautions.
Happy health your way with essential oils!