Long drives with friends and family and travelling to exotic locations is on everyone’s list of must do things in life. But for many people these experiences are marred by the embarrassing and painful condition of motion sickness. Any kind of travel where the traveler must sway with the moving vehicle can trigger motion sickness. While travelling, the body sends jumbled signals to the brain which the mind cannot read properly and as such can lead to many different issues. The most common problem with motion sickness is vomiting, while more server and dangerous problems can include migraine or even loss of consciousness.
For those who are prone to this condition there are a number of tablets available in the market, but all these are loaded with chemicals that can lead to issues like loss of appetite and frequent need to urinate. There is one fantastic natural remedy to help you deal with motion sickness. Next time you travel try using the following essential oils for motion sickness and you are sure to have a enjoyable trip.
Who is at risk of Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness in pregnant women is most common followed by toddlers. Motion sickness in toddlers is experienced while traveling in a car, and even in a park swing. They show symptoms like dizziness, nausea, and headaches.
Whereas pregnant ladies, during pregnancy phase must face so many changes. They have mood swings, hormonal changes and often have motion sickness causing nausea. Pregnant women being anxious simple increases the probability of them being more prone to motion sickness.
Symptoms of motion sickness
The prominent symptoms of severe motion sickness are: –
– Loss of appetite
– Vomit like feeling
– Pale Skin
– Increased saliva production
Causes of motion sickness
The major cause of anxiety motion sickness and other types of motion sickness is the conflict amongst senses. While on a ride or travelling, your eyes, muscles and ears are all seeing and feeling different things. The brain cannot process all these mixed signals, and you start feeling sick.
What essential oils are good for motion sickness?
Essential oils for motion sickness have been gaining a lot of importance lately. Aromatherapy is one way of using essential oils for good health and well-being of oneself. Different oils possess different properties to ease various kinds of conditions.
Here are some of the most useful essential oils for motion sickness that offers significant motion sickness relief and relief from varying conditions of anti-motion sickness.
1. Bergamot essential oil for motion sickness
Bergamot oil is a category of citrus oils. The aroma of bergamot is similar to that of orange but is more tropical. It is extracted through a cold-press technique, hence very concentrated and potent. It can help fight against conditions of motion sickness by blending with a carrier oil and applying it onto your pulse points.
2. Black pepper essential oil for motion sickness
Black pepper is a spice found in every kitchen. It’s not only used as a flavoring agent is cuisines but also possesses a wide range of medicinal properties. It contains a very active component called piperine. It has shown many properties including anti-cancer properties.
3. Cardamom essential oil for motion sickness
Cardamom essential oil is extracted from the seed of cardamom, which a common spice in everyone’s kitchen. It is a wide variety of unique properties and scent. Cardamom oil along with other essential oils are said to be useful as an anti-nausea agent.
4. Coriander seed essential oil
Coriander seeds are one among those ancient spices prevalent in the world. It has a powerful and sweet aroma. It is also a valued ingredient in perfumes and soaps. This oil is extracted from the seed of coriander, from the cilantro plant. It is an excellent stimulant for feeling having nausea and feeling low. It is also of great help to those suffering from trauma and shock.
5. Dill essential oil
Dill essential oil is extracted through a process of steam distillation from fried seeds and also the whole plant of dill. It is said to have excellent properties like being antispasmodic, carminative, digestive, and a disinfectant. It will help heal from nausea and also relieves from anxiety. It has calming effects on the nerves and brain making a person feel relaxed and satisfied.
6. Lemon essential oil
Lemon essential oil is said to be loaded with powerful antioxidants. It is derived from citrus plant and has many uses in food and many medicinal properties.
This essential oil has excellent properties and abilities to cleanse toxins from the human body, and also rejuvenates energy. Using this oil can help to rejuvenate and help recover from conditions like nausea and dizziness.
7. Fennel essential oil
Fennel essential oil is said to aid digestive issues and relieve conditions like constipation. It also prevents from nausea. Best way to use fennel essential oil is by blending it with any carrier oil of choice and applying it to the pressure or pulse points of your body.
How to use these essential oils for motion sickness?
– The best way to use essential oils is through nasal inhalers. People having a different condition of motion sickness can mix and blend essential oils of their choice, especially during travels.
– Another convenient method of using these essential oils is through a car diffuser, which would keep the car and your travel anti-motion-sickness.
– You can also use essential oils by inhaling, taking 2-3 drops of oil onto a tissue and cupping the nose and mouth to inhale slowly, would be a great way to handle motion sickness.
– Also, another method could be an abdominal massage. By taking any essential oil of choice mixed with any preferred carrier oil, and massage it on your abdominal area.
Do’s and Don’ts
– Always suggested consulting an expert to determine what works best for you.
– Never ingest essential oils. Always take precautions when it comes to children, pets, and the elderly.
– Unnecessary and overconsumption could also be fatal.
– The benefits of essential oils can be reaped by topical applications or inhalations.
– Don’t use too much, since essential oils are very much concentrated and potent.
1. Always use top-quality essential oils or therapeutic grade oil. It should be certified as organic, and 100% pure.
2. Keep essential oils away from sensitive areas. Essential oils are considered as nature’s powerhouses as they are 40-50 times more potent than the plant it’s extracted from. Avoid using or applying essential oils to sensitive areas of the body, including the genitals or area near your eyes.
3. Always test new oils to make sure there are no reactions before applying. A patch test is always advisable to check if the essential oil causes any redness or itching or any irritation.
4. Never heat essential oils. What you may be not aware of is that heating these oils ruins their healing characteristics.
Excessive use of anything could have a drawback, applies the same for essential oils. Always advising a health expert to decide what is suitable for you will reduce the chances of side effects like allergic reactions and skin irritation. Researches have shown that excessive use of essential oils like lavender and tea-tree have shown some hormonal-effects. It’s advised to avoid contact of essential oils onto skin for a very long time.
• Carry an inch of peeled ginger with you, especially when traveling and suck onto it as soon as you commence your travel. The presence of gingerol and strong flavor helps ease nausea and symptoms of motion sickness.
• Carrying small amounts of pickle juice, while traveling and sipping onto it when you feel nauseous. This will help you from the imbalance in electrolyte levels. Pickle juice helps restore the electrolytes and the pH balance in your stomach.
Essentials oils for motion sickness are essential for one’s health and wellness. Above mentioned essential oils can help one combat the risking factors for motion sickness in a natural way. Keeping in mind the dos and don’ts, precautions and side-effects regarding essential oils will keep one at bay from unwanted complications. Always visiting and consulting an expert as to know what’s best for your body is vital.