Baby acne might not be painful but can be annoying. If your baby is crying at odd intervals, then check if it has developed acne on the body. Read on to find out more about how to get rid of baby acne at home.
What is Baby Acne?
Also referred to as neonatal acne, baby acne is a dermatological condition that affects the tender and sensitive skin of infants of about 2-3 months old. The breakout of baby acne occurs with the appearance of tiny reddish pimples and bumps on the surface of the skin.
What causes Baby Acne?
Imbalance of infant hormones in the baby results in the hypersecretion of sebum from the sebaceous glands on the skin. This accumulation of sebum manifests in the form of pimples and rashes which we refer to as baby acne. The following causes can also trigger baby acne:
- Tight and unclean clothing
- Wearing wet diapers for a prolonged period
- Irregular bathing habits, etc.
- Breast milk acne which occurs due to ingestion of contaminated or stagnant breast milk by the baby
What are the symptoms of baby acne?
- The appearance of red and white pimples and skin bumps on the skin
- The development of the blisters into white pustules
- Redness of the affected areas of the skin
5 Extraordinary Home Remedies on How to Get Rid of Baby Acne
1. How to get rid of baby acne with Food?
How to cure baby acne on face and others by using lemon juice and honey?
The combination of lemon juice and honey is one of the most effective home remedies of baby acne on face, baby acne on ears, baby acne on cheeks, and baby acne on chest.
How to use?
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to 2-3 tablespoons of organic honey
- Smear the paste all over the face and chest of the baby
- Rinse the skin with lukewarm water after about 30 minutes
- Do this thrice daily for how to get rid of baby acne
Benefits of using lemon juice and honey
The blend of honey and lemon juice is exceedingly beneficial for the natural treatment of baby acne. It is gentle on the delicate skin of the infant, and its humectant nature helps in the natural hydration of the baby skin.
The lemon juice aids in breaking down the buildup of sebum on the skin surface that causes the baby acne. The topical application of the combination of honey and lemon juice soothes the skin, cures the redness, and makes the pimples and bumps disappear in a few days.
Make sure that the lemon juice does not irritate the skin of the baby. If it seems too harsh, then skip the lemon juice and use plain honey for how to get rid of baby acne.
How to get rid of baby acne on the face and baby acne on the scalp by using bananas?
The topical application of banana pulp on the skin is highly useful for how to get rid of baby acne naturally.
How to use?
- Peel a fresh and ripe average-sized banana
- Squeeze the banana into a paste
- Add a teaspoon of rose water to the banana mash
- Apply the paste all over the face and scalp
- Rinse it off with warm water after about 15 minutes
- Do this on a daily basis for the baby acne on body and face to fade
Benefits of using banana
Ripe and fresh bananas have potassium, amino acids, vitamins B-Complex, C, and E, lectin and phytochemical antioxidants. The topical application of the paste helps in the nourishment and moisturization of the skin. It helps to eliminate the oil and sebum from the surface of the skin and exfoliate the skin gently. It cleanses the skin and prevents microbial action and infection.
Make sure that the banana is fresh and ripe before applying it to the baby acne on the body.
Food to eat
Mother’s milk is the best for the health of the infant.
Food to avoid
Avoid feeding your baby with anything apart from breast milk up to the age of 4-5 months.
2. How to get rid of baby acne with Herbal Treatments?
How to treat newborn baby acne on the body by using Aloe Vera?
The topical application of Aloe Vera gel is remarkably effective for how to clear new born baby acne on the body.
How to use?
- Slice a fresh leaf of Aloe Vera and scoop out its gel
- Add a few drops of rose water to the gel and stir well to make a paste
- Apply the paste with slight rubbing all over the acne on the body
- Rinse the skin with lukewarm water after about half an hour
- Do this twice daily for how to cure baby acne
Benefits of using Aloe Vera
The Aloe Vera gel is incredibly effective for the natural treatment of newborn baby acne. It is tender on the gentle skin of the infant and is soothing too. The gel that gets extracted from the Aloe Vera leaf is rich in antioxidants and other phytochemical compounds that fight against free radicals and protect the skin against oxidative stress.
The topical application of the gel prevents the accumulation of excess sebum on the skin surface and helps in the cure of skin irritation, inflammation, acne, and redness.
Make sure that the baby skin is not allergic to Aloe Vera gel before applying it on the affected parts of the skin surface.
3. How to get rid of baby acne with essential oils?
How to clear baby acne on scalp and baby acne on the head by using tea tree essential oil?
The application of diluted tea tree essential oil is highly effective for how to prevent and cure the appearance of baby acne on the head and scalp.
How to use?
- Add a teaspoon of tea tree essential oil to 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil
- Massage the baby acne on the head and baby acne on the scalp with the oil mixture
- Let the oils percolate into the epidermis
- Rinse the head gently with lukewarm water after a few hours
- Do this on a daily basis for the baby acne on head and scalp to get cured
Benefits of tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil has antioxidants and antibacterial properties that aid in the cure of baby acne by fighting against the bacterial action and inhibiting the secretion of excess sebum. The topical application of tea tree essential oil helps in the quick and effective treatment for how to get rid of baby acne.
Proceed with caution for this natural remedy. Conduct a patch test on an unaffected part of the baby skin before applying the oil mixture to the pimples and baby acne.
4. How to get rid of baby acne with home remedies?
How to use coconut oil home remedy for baby acne?
The topical application of coconut oil is remarkably effective for the cure of baby acne on neck and baby acne on ears.
How to use?
- Warm at least 4-5 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Rub the baby acne on neck and baby acne on ears with the warm coconut oil
- Rinse the head gently with water after a 2-3 hours
- Do this on a daily basis for the baby acne to get disappeared
Benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that prevents the dryness of baby skin and eliminates excess oil and sebum from the surface of the skin. Topical application of coconut oil cures the redness of the skin and soothes the inflammation and irritation of baby acne. It is gentle on the skin and leaves on side effects on the baby.
5. How to get rid of baby acne with natural treatment?
How to get rid of baby acne on the body by using warm oatmeal baths?
Bathing the baby in a tub of lukewarm oatmeal water is highly effective for the cure of baby acne.
How to use?
- Fill the baby bathtub with warm water
- Pour a cup of freshly ground oatmeal in the water
- Bathe the baby in the bathtub and gently scrub the baby acne on the body with the oatmeal
- Do this on a daily basis for the baby acne to heal
Benefits of oatmeal bath
Bathing the baby in warm oatmeal water helps in the gentle exfoliation of the skin. The freshly ground and slightly coarse oatmeal aids in sloughing off the dry skin cells, dead peels, and sebum from the skin. It helps in soothing the skin, doing away with the infection, and curing the white pustules and red bumps on the skin.
Do not scrub the skin with too much force else the baby skin might get bruised. Scrub the delicate skin gently and with caution for how to get rid of baby acne.
How to prevent the breakout of baby acne on the body?
- Change the diaper at regular intervals
- Bathe the baby on a daily basis
- Make sure that the baby wears clean and sanitized clothes throughout the day
- If it vomits then clean the waste immediately to keep the baby clean
Baby acne might be harmless, but almost everything is an irritant for the gentle and delicate baby skin. If your angelic newborn is suffering from baby acne, then follow through with a combination of multiple home remedies for how to get rid of baby acne. Keep the tips of prevention in mind to protect the baby from the breakout of acne and rashes and maintain utmost cleanliness to keep such skin diseases at bay.