A sore throat is one of the common health conditions that may be caused due to various environmental or lifestyle habits. Smoking, tumors, inhaling chemicals, injury, bacterial, viral, or other infections are some of the common causes of a sore throat. If left untreated, it could get worse and damage the throat lining as well as inner tissues.
There are several treatments to treat it, of which teas are often considered the best option. It is because it can relieve and also prevent sore throat without any complications. Tea for sore throat not only soothes the pain, but because of the antioxidants present in it, it also helps kill harmful microbes. The antioxidants help heal tissues in your throat and also, and strengthen the immune system to fight the distress.
Did You Know!
- 40 % of cases of sore throat are reported to have been caused by viruses.
- Whereas, cases of bacteria causing sore throat are 30%.
Best Tea Recipes for Sore Throat
1. Chamomile Tea
To make Chamomile Tea
- Take two tbsp of dry chamomile flowers and add them to 8 ounces of water.
- Boil this for five to ten minutes.
- You can also add some honey to this.
Take it just before bed to get some peaceful sleep. Also, inhaling the aroma of chamomile tea eases the blocked nose.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies For Sore Throat ]
2. Slippery Elm Tea
Slippery Elm is used as a tea and contains mucilage, which coats the throat like a gel. It also helps in alleviating the pain or cough associated with a sore throat.
To make Slippery Elm Tea
- Add boiled water to a cup.
- To this, add two tbsp of powdered slippery elm bark.
- Let the mixture simmer for five minutes.
- You can add honey or any syrup as a sweetener.
Drink this twice a day to get effective results.
[Also Read: Home Remedies For Sore Throat]
3. Turmeric Tea
Turmeric(2) has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties make it one of the best teas for sore throat.
To make Turmeric Tea:
- Boil some water and add ground turmeric to it.
- Boil it for 7 minutes and then strain it into a cup.
You can also use turmeric tea bags for making this tea. Have this tea twice a day.
4. Ginger Root Tea
Ginger tea for sore throat is useful as it targets the bacteria and viruses that cause the infection in the throat.
To make Ginger Root Tea
- Add a one-inch piece of ginger to boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- You can also add some honey, lemon, and apple cider vinegar to enhance the properties of this tea.
Drink this ginger tea two twice a day to get relief.
5. Licorice Root Tea
Licorice root is proven to have anti-inflammatory properties and is used to relieve throat pain. This hot tea for sore throat kills the bacteria and has a similar action as aspirin.
To make Licorice Root Tea
- Add two tsp of dried licorice root to boiling water.
- Simmer it for 5 minutes and strain into a cup.
- Add some lemon to it.
Licorice root could be harmful when taken in large quantities. Make sure to drink it only once in a day for three days.
[Also Read: Natural Herbs for Sore Throat]
Why Use Tea for Sore Throat?
Tea is good for sore throats as it boosts your immune system and kills various bacteria and viruses. Some herbal teas have anti-inflammatory properties that relieve the pain. Other teas like Peppermint tea for sore throat help numb the throat and reduce pain.
Drinking warm liquids moistens the throat and hydrates your body. Lemon and honey tea for sore throat also provides vitamin C and soothes the pain. Tea with honey for sore throat is useful in giving relief because of the soothing properties of honey.
Although most teas are natural and safe to drink, some teas like licorice should be taken in small amounts.
Sore throat is painful and can affect your daily chores. In severe cases, sore throat not only creates difficulty in swallowing food but also disturbs sleep. You can opt for various teas that are known to effectively cure and provide relief from sore throat and also kill the harmful bacteria. Although most teas are natural and safe to drink, consuming the teas in moderation is advisable.
1. What Kind of Tea Is Good for Sore Throat?
Many herbal teas, including ginger and peppermint teas, are used in treating the symptoms of sore throat. Lemon tea for a sore throat with a dash of honey is an effective remedy for the condition.
2. Is Green Tea Good for a Sore Throat?
Green tea has proven antioxidants, which help fight the microbes causing infection in the throat. It also has antiviral properties. Thus Green Tea for sore throat is an effective way to cure a sore throat.
3. Is Hot Tea Good for a Sore Throat?
Warm/Hot beverages, including tea help, soothe the throat and moisten it and are therefore advised to consume to relieve a sore throat.
4. What Cures a Sore Throat Fast?
Apart from various teas, saltwater gargles, lozenges, steams are known to effectively cure a sore throat.