The magic key to all your skin problems is sesame oil. This oil is readily available and simple to apply. This aromatic oil has a lot of health benefits as well.
Sesame plants are more common in East Africa and India, but they also available in other countries as well. This oil is used in multiple ways.
The nutty flavor and the aroma are the most preferred choice of oil for cooking but do you know that it can also be used for the beautification of your skin? This oil can even cause skin whitening, and reduce the aging of the skin.
Read to know more about sesame oil benefits for the skin.
Things You Didn’t Know About Sesame Oil
How Is Sesame Oil Good for Your Skin?
Sesame oil works best for people with skin pigmentation, acne scars, and acne-prone skin.
It works for the skin in 3 major ways –
- Anti-inflammatory – It prevents swelling on the skin.
- Anti-oxidant – It protects your skin from free radicals and molecules that can harm the cellular structure of your skin. It can also fight skin damage.
- Anti-microbial properties – Due to these properties, sesame oil can kill the microbes that cause skin damage and change the texture of the skin(2).
As sesame oil doesn’t block your skin pores, it works best on acne-prone skin. It is a misconception that oil is bad for the skin. Adulterated oil is bad for the skin, but sesame oil is very good for adult skin and also for babies.
You will stop using cosmetics for fair skin once you start using Sesame oil for skin whitening. Due to its anti-oxidant properties, it also works very well on rashes in babies. You can also use sesame oil for skin wrinkles. As it nourishes and tightens pores, it reduces skin wrinkles too.
Methods to Apply Sesame Oil for Glowing Skin
Here are a few ways to use sesame oil for the skin.
1. Sesame oil Face Wash
Things you’ll need – Take half a cup of sesame oil and a half cup of apple cider vinegar. Mix these both well and add ½ cup of water. You can use it as a face wash daily to detox your skin.
[Read: Effective Benefits of Sesame Oil]
2. Sesame oil and Water
Sometimes, yeast and fungal infection can cause white patches and inflammation on your skin. Make a mixture of lukewarm water and sesame oil to treat yeast infections on your skin.
3. Sesame oil for Acne Scars
Sesame oil is known to reduce the scar. You have to make it an everyday routine to take a few drops of sesame oil and scrub it on the scars. Its anti-oxidant properties help in treating the scars.
[Also Read: Essential Herbs to Treat Acne]
You can use Sesame Oil as a sunscreen as well.
- Take a few drops of Sesame oil and mix it with any carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil or rosemary oil.
- The proportion being three drops of sesame to one drop of carrier oil.
5. Sesame Oil + Rice Flour
Rice flour is known for its skin whitening abilities.
- Take 1 tbsp rice flour and 1 tbsp sesame oil and mix well.
- Apply the mask and let it dry and rinse it half an hour.
- Wipe with a clean towel.
- Repeat this step once weekly for skin whitening.
6. Sesame oil + Eucalyptus oil + Brown Sugar
Brown sugar exfoliates the skin and removes dead cells. Eucalyptus and Sesame oil are antiseptic and anti-bacterial.
- Mix 2 tbsp of sesame oil and brown sugar with 20 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Apply this to a clean face and rinse once dry.
7. Sesame oil and Turmeric
Turmeric is very well known for its antiseptic and healing properties. It lets your skin breather and heals your skin.
- Take 4 tbsp of sesame oil with 5 tbsp of turmeric powder. Mix well to avoid lumps.
- Apply this to a clean, dry face and let it dry for 15-20 minutes before rinsing with water.
- You must choose a method depending on your skin type. But, first, always do a patch test. If any ingredient causes irritation, you must stop immediately.
- Hydrate your skin and maintain a vitamin-rich healthy diet. Applying sesame oil for skin comes with no side-effects and is readily available.
The cosmetic industry today uses Sesame oil as an active ingredient in moisturizers, sunscreens, facewashes, night creams, and many more. Nothing works better than a refined and unadulterated version of sesame oil. Use it daily to maintain healthy and glowing skin.
1. Does Sesame Oil Work on All Skin Types?
Yes. It is known to work on all skin types, including sensitive acne-prone skin. However, if you were to notice any irritation or allergic symptoms, discontinue immediately.
2. How Many Times Should I Apply It in a Day?
You can take three to four drops of sesame oil to moisturize your skin every day. It is not harmful and will only add more moisture and glow to your skin.