The common skin problems that most of us face are acne, blackheads, dry skin, pores, rashes etc. With the endless list of challenges that it encounters, namely pollution, temperature changes, chemical-based cosmetics and unhealthy food, it is almost unimaginable that our skin will be at its best. But our skin is our companion forever and to take pride in it; we pamper it with more creams and consume more chemicals that were the root of the problems in the first place.
But what we forget is that the answer to our natural beauty is in nature, a natural remedy. A remedy like Argan oil, which is called ‘liquid gold’ and referred by some as ‘miracle oil’ is a great way to get smooth and beautiful skin. Due to its many uses and benefits, it is gaining popularity in recent times.
Argan oil offers an effective cure for skin problems and hair issues. To be more specific, it is the answer to all your acne and skin problems. Haven’t heard of it yet? No worries, we got you covered. Here is all you need to know about Argan oil.
Causes for Skin problems and acne
Skin problems have many root causes, a few of them are temporary, and a few of them stay until treated. Acne being one of the most significant issues that teenagers and adults dread, is nothing but the breakout of blackheads, whiteheads, or simply put it is pimples or painful cysts on the face, back and shoulders. It may be caused due to the following reasons:
- Stress, which is inevitable in today’s world is a big reason for acne
- Processed food, which is unhealthy for your body and skin. The extra oil and salt isn’t doing you any favors
- Cosmetics, like I said the chemicals that you apply on your skin have adverse effects. Best to use water-based products
- Dirt and pollution, this is from the environment around you, the pollution that you are exposed to every day
- Drugs that we take have side-effects which may lead to outbursts, especially birth control pills
- Hereditary, again out of your control but this is something your parents might have passed on to you
- Hormones, excess oil and hormones block the pores like sebum clogs hair follicles
Another skin problem that we are going to focus on is dry skin. Apart from diseases like hypothyroidism and allergic eczema, dry skin is also usually caused by dehydration.
What is Argan oil?
Argan oil(1) is made from kernels of the Argan tree which is native to Morocco. It is rich in omega fatty acids, vitamin E, and linoleic acids and is light. This helps it to act as a moisturizer and get rid of acne and red patches. What you didn’t know probably is that Argan oil is the ingredient of many cosmetics and creams.
It has been used for ages in combination with other oils, but why combine it when it can treat your skin on its own? It treats the skin by leaving almost no side effects. The Vitamin E in Argan oil has anti-inflammatory properties, being light it doesn’t clog pores either.
Benefits of Using Argan Oil for Skin
With its essential oils, vitamins, minerals and fatty acids, it has many benefits that will surprise you. Stated below are a few of them:
- Its most apparent advantage is that it acts as a moisturizer. Since it is light, it wouldn’t leave a greasy effect. And after you apply it, you can apply your usual routine cream to complete your look, and the natural oil will keep your skin hydrated.
- You can also use it as a toner, a natural toner for the pores that you can make at home.
- It is a perfect face mask for tightening and brightening your skin. You can mix a few drops of argan oil with your store-bought face mask. You can also make your face mask at home. Take three drops of argan oil and mix it with a tablespoon of lemon juice, honey and Greek yoghurt. You will have a rejuvenating face mask.
- Perfect as a scrub or lip moisturizer. With some brown sugar, you will have your lip moisturizer. Adding argan oil to your foundation or bronzer gives you a natural glow.
- Argan oil is also great for your hair. It acts as a moisturizer and hydrates the scalp. It is also beneficial if you have split ends. Just apply argan oil to your hair before you blow dry them, and you are good to go. It takes away the frizz and adds shine and luster to your hair. Leave it overnight and wash your hair the next day to have bright, healthy hair.
- Another great use is it is perfect to fight stretch marks! You can also apply it to your skin and nails after taking a bath.
Argan oil benefits:
Argan oil is excellent for the skin and the hair. Its natural properties help it act as a great moisturizer and keep the sky hydrated. Due to its contents, it leaves almost zero side-effects behind. It has anti-inflammatory properties which are perfect for treating acne and any redness and irritation that comes along with skin problems. It is so light that it doesn’t make the skin oily or greasy and is entirely absorbed by the skin. It doesn’t clog the pores, which incidentally is the biggest reason for breakouts.
How to use Argan oil for skin problems?
Oral Consumption: –
It is best to consume Argan oil orally. It is usually available in the form of Argan oil pills, which is a great way to add it to your beauty routine.
Topical Application: –
Mix a few drops of Argan oil with a carrier oil like olive oil and massage gently over the affected area. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash off with warm water. You can mix a few drops of Argan oil with your face mask or skin cream and apply over the affected areas.
Add a few drops of the argan oil to a steamer and expose the affected area to steam(2) for a few minutes to avail maximum benefits.
Argan Oil blends in perfectly with a lot of products, that is why it is present in a lot of beauty products.
A precaution to take is to apply it on a patch of your skin to try it first. It is always best as different people have different skin types and different requirements, it is better to stay safe than sorry. It is especially worse if you have nut allergies, as argan oil is extracted from the nuts of the argan tree. This might cause irritation and rashes on the skin. It may also cause skin breakouts. But argan oil is generally considered safe to use, although a small group of people may report some minor side-effects from using it.
Dos and Don’ts
Do not apply it if you are facing any of the above reactions after applying or consuming Argan oil. If it isn’t then it is best to apply it once a day. If you still see no results, it is best to book an appointment with your healthcare expert to figure out what is stopping your skin treatment.
Side effects of Argan oil
Side effects, however, include skin rash and irritation due to allergies. If you ingest it, you might suffer from nausea, vomiting, gas or diarrhea. You may also lose your appetite and feel bloated. In some rare cases, people experience the extreme side effects of depression, confusion, agitation or difficulty in sleeping.
With your DIY recipe, you can have your solution of Argan oil in combination with other natural components to resolve your skin problems.
Take three drops of Argan oil and mix it with three drops of lavender oil, three drops of tea tree essential oil, three drops of rosemary essential oil, two drops of lemongrass essential oil, and six drops of clove oil. Mix it well in a bowl. Store the solution in a dark colored glass bottle with a tight cork or cap. Use a dropper or syringe when using the solution, it is a remedy for acne and skin break out.
The antioxidants, oleic acid, and linoleic acid, rejuvenate the skin prevents clogging of pores and prevents breakouts by acne. Vitamin E (3)reduce inflammation due to pimples.
Other natural remedies:
- You can also apply green tea or apple cider vinegar to your skin to treat acne. Green tea is also great to consume, it is excellent for your body and gives you a glowing, healthy skin.
- Taking Zinc supplements is an excellent way to treat breakouts.
- You can use jojoba oil that is extracted from jojoba seeds; it reduces inflammation and redness.
- Aloe Vera is a perfect natural remedy. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It prevents breakouts and is an excellent moisturizer to treat dry skin.
- Honey is a remedy for ages now. It has antioxidants, keeps the sin young and alive and also unclogs pores.
- Garlic is a perfect natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, it fights infections, boosts your immune system and is excellent for your skin and body.
Skin problems though are not life-threatening, they can cause severe discomfort. As such, it is necessary to ensure their timely treatment with natural remedies. Argan Oil is an effective remedy that offers instant and long-lasting relief. In addition to using Argan oil for skin, you must follow a healthy lifestyle and ingest nutritious food to ensure maximum protection from most skin-related infections.