A closer look at your face brings out all the secrets? The bumpy surface with black, yellow and white dots is undoubtedly unsightly. But what are they, sebaceous filaments or blackheads? Learn all about sebaceous filaments vs. blackheads and their treatments.
Sebaceous Filaments vs. Blackheads
What are Sebaceous Filaments?
Sebaceous filaments are tiny collections of sebum and dead skin cells enveloping a hair follicle.
What are blackheads?
Blackheads are tiny bumps that surface on the skin as a result of clogged hair follicles. The surface of the follicle is black and hence the name.
Causes – Sebaceous Filaments vs. Blackheads
What causes sebaceous filaments?
The skin of some people is oilier with large pores that tend to accumulate more oil and get clogged easily forming sebaceous filaments.
What causes blackheads?
Over a period, dead skin cells, as well as dirt, accumulates at the opening of follicles leading to a bump which is called blackhead.
The difference – Sebaceous Filaments vs. Blackheads
Have a look at the difference between Sebaceous Filaments vs. Blackheads
- Sebaceous filaments form when dirt and oil clog the hair opening whereas Blackheads occur because of oxidized melanin and not dirt.
- Sebaceous filaments form just below the epidermis whereas Blackheads occur on the surface of the skin.
- The top of Blackheads is black while that of Sebaceous glands may be white/grey/yellow.
- Sebaceous filaments are common in oily skins whereas Blackheads can occur in every skin.
Tested Natural Remedies for Sebaceous Filaments Removal
Although it is not possible to completely remove sebaceous filaments, yet with the help of some natural remedies you can make them less evident. Let’s discuss the most effective techniques here.
1. Foods that can treat Sebaceous Filaments
Your diet plays a vital role in the secretion of oil by your body. For a healthier, non-oily skin, add foods with low Glycemic index like whole grain foods, dry beans, cherries, dark green leafy vegetables, etc., in your diet. These help in controlling oil secretion and prevent clogged pores.
Foods to avoid:
Foods that you must avoid to treat the condition:
- Junk foods
- Foods with high Glycemic index
- Foods high in sugar content
- Cereals made from refined grains
2. Home remedies for treating Sebaceous Filaments
Baking Soda is an effective remedy to cure Sebaceous Filaments
Sebaceous filaments on the nose occur due to excessive secretion of oil on the face. The same is with the sebaceous filaments on the chin.
How to use?
- First, wash your face with warm water
- Take baking soda and add to it a little amount of water to make a paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area
- Leave the paste on the skin for around three minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water
Benefits of Baking Soda
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate can be used to exfoliate the face as it reduces the production of oil and lightens the sebaceous filaments.
3. Natural treatments for curing sebaceous filaments
Sebaceous filaments Mineral oil treatment
The remedy might appear a little bizarre but is extremely useful in case of sebaceous filaments on breasts.
How to use?
- Take a few drops of Mineral oil
- Apply it to the affected area
- Repeat the process two times a day
If mineral oil is applied to the affected area twice every day, the skin of the area will stay moisturized, and the sebaceous glands will not be required to overproduce oil. Remember to cleanse and tone your skin correctly daily. Mineral oils also work wonders for sebaceous filaments on the chest.
The oil may cause allergic reactions. If you have a history of allergy, then consult your doctor before using it.
Excellent natural remedies for Blackhead removal
You can squeeze out the blackheads easily, and deep blackheads can be removed using pore strips, but this is an ongoing process. The following remedies are incredibly useful to get rid of the problem.
1. Foods that can be of help
Your diet dramatically affects you from inside out. For a healthy skin devoid of any trouble you must switch to a balanced and nutritious diet.
Foods to eat
Make positive dietary changes by including healthy fats in your diet.
- Whole grain products like brown rice, wholemeal pasta, oats, etc.
- Green leafy vegetables
- Lean poultry like turkey and chicken
Foods to avoid:
Following foods must be avoided to get rid of oily skin troubles:
- Deep-fried foods
- Refined carbohydrates
- Sugary foods
- Too much salt
2. Home remedies to treat blackheads
Use Apple Cider Vinegar for removing blackheads
Apple Cider Vinegar is a potent solution with numerous benefits. Blackheads in ear and blackheads on the back can be cured using ACV. You can use it as it is in the form of toner on the affected areas.
How to use?
- Pour a few drops of apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball
- Apply it on the affected area
- Let it dry and then wash off your face with warm water
Popping blackheads irritates the skin causing much trouble. Instead, treat the issue using apple cider vinegar. The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar breaks down tough build-up on the skin and also balances its pH.
Those with sensitive skin must dilute apple cider vinegar in the same amount of water before applying it.
3. Natural treatment for blackhead removal
Get rid of blackheads by steaming
Steaming your face is an effective way to clear blackheads.
How to use?
- Add hot water in a bowl
- Place your face over the bowl and cover the head with a towel
- Let the steam work on your face for two to three minutes
- Repeat it three to four times
- After that exfoliate your skin to clear blackheads
Steam opens the clogged pores and exfoliation aids in easy removal of blackheads.
Water must not be too hot. Maintain sufficient distance between your face and the bowl. It should be around 35 to 40 cm.
[Read: Cure Large Pores]
Precautions While Treating Sebaceous Filaments and Blackheads
Sebaceous filaments vs. blackheads don’t require a tough fight after all these remedies, but you need to take certain precautions while treating them.
- Don’t remove them on your own with the help of tools
- An over-do of physical exfoliation might result in the development of a pimple, acne or even scars
Now and then we come across skin issues, and the most common among them are oil buildup resulting in sebaceous filaments vs. blackheads. It is very crucial to understand our skin type and the exact problem we are facing. Although the two look very similar on the outside, yet internally, sebaceous filaments vs. blackheads are incredibly different.
Both get caused by different agents and cured in different ways. Practice the remedies and adequately resist the urge of picking at or squeezing at them as you will be fighting a losing battle that will do more harm to your skin than good.