Is the red, itchy and scaly skin on your scalp, behind the ears, on the sides of the nose, eyelids or the eyebrows troubling you? Do you have any idea how to go about it and what treatment should you adopt? This article provides you every detail about it including the home remedies that can help you get rid of the trouble.
First, it is essential to know that the condition that you are suffering from may be seborrheic dermatitis. Next, can you get rid of it? Yes, it goes away with time but if it doesn’t then you can try Seborrheic dermatitis natural treatment to get relief from it.
What is Seborrheic Dermatitis?
Seborrheic dermatitis is a skin condition in which a person develops red skin, scaly patches, and white flakes (dandruff). The disease primarily occurs on the scalp, but it may also appear on the eyelids, eyebrows, ears, on the sides of the nose and even chest. The condition is common and is generally lifelong in adults. However, the flare-ups can get controlled by good skin care and adopting Seborrheic dermatitis natural treatment.
Please note that cradle cap is a kind of Seborrheic dermatitis in infants. It is harmless, and they usually get rid of it in a few months.
Types of Dermatitis
Dermatitis is a condition wherein the skin becomes dry, itchy and inflamed. Different types of dermatitis may affect you. These occur due to skin’s allergic reactions. Following are the kinds of dermatitis:
- Irritant Contact Dermatitis
- Allergic Contact Dermatitis
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Hand Eczema
- Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Nummular Dermatitis
- Stasis Dermatitis
The exact cause of Seborrheic dermatitis(1) is not known, but many factors may contribute to it. The factors that may cause the condition are:
- Cold, dry weather conditions
- Presence of yeast called Malassezia on the skin
[Also Read: Treat Seborrheic Dermatitis Naturally]
Following are the symptoms of Seborrheic dermatitis:
- The appearance of skin flakes or dandruff on the scalp, eyebrows, hair, eyelids, or the beard
- Red and itchy skin
- Development of greasy skin patches with white flaky or yellow scales
The risk factors that may increase the probability of developing Seborrheic dermatitis are:
- Weak immune system
- Neurologic condition like Parkinson’s disease
- Certain medications
- Recovery from conditions such as heart attack
Seborrheic dermatitis can clear away with time. But in certain conditions, it is lifelong with flare-ups at specific time intervals. You can clear effectively curb the symptoms of the disease by following a good skin care regime followed.
To accelerate the process of clearing up the signs and getting your healthy skin back, try Seborrheic dermatitis natural treatment. It will help you in getting rid of the trouble quickly. Elucidated below are the remedies that you may adopt at home:
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for treating Seborrheic dermatitis. It can be effective in finding the skin condition.
How to use?
- Take a clove of garlic and crush it
- To this pulp add water (two tablespoons)
- Mix them well and filter the solution
- Slightly heat the solution to warm it
- Use a cotton pad to apply the mixture to the affected areas
- Leave it overnight and rinse off the next morning
You can try this remedy two to three times a week. Ingesting garlic along with the topical treatment will provide rapid results.
Garlic has strong anti-fungal properties help in inhibiting the growth of the yeast on the skin which is a probable cause of the condition.
Garlic can cause skin irritation. Hence, before using it, rub some garlic juice on your arm. If it causes severe irritation, then avoid using garlic remedy for treating the condition.
Foods that you should include in your diet
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, etc.
- Foods are high in antioxidants like strawberries, blueberries, and like
- Take them in moderation as these have high sugar content
- Spices such as sage, turmeric, oregano, ginger, clove, etc.
- Flax seeds
- Fermented Foods like miso, tempeh, sauerkraut, etc.
- Garlic, chili peppers, and shiitake mushrooms
- Foods rich in Vitamin A like carrots, bananas, etc.
- Foods rich in Vitamin B with an adequate amount of biotins such as green peas, sweet potatoes and the like
- Vitamin C rich foods like papaya, tomatoes, sprouts, etc.
- Foods like almond, avocados, etc. that are rich in Vitamin E
Foods to be avoided
- Milk and Milk products like cheese, yogurt, etc.
- Foods like Red meat, hydrogenated vegetable oils, etc., containing large amounts of saturated fats
- Foods with a high amount of refined sugar
Foods that may cause allergic reactions on the skin like citrus fruits, corn, peanuts, gluten products, wheat products, etc.
[Read: Treat Seborrheic Dermatitis With Essential Oils]
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the most potent remedies for various skin conditions and can be used as a Seborrheic dermatitis natural treatment. Get rid of Seborrheic dermatitis on the nose and other body parts using aloe vera.
How to use?
- Cut a leaf of aloe vera plant from the middle
- Squeeze it to obtain the gel
- Apply this fresh aloe vera gel on the affected region
- Use the remedy several times a day for over a month to get positive results
- Alternatively, you can also drink aloe vera juice to ease the symptoms of Seborrheic dermatitis
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera restores the pH level of the skin. Further, its calming properties soothe the skin and reduce the itchiness.
Usage of aloe vera gel has varied benefits owing to its safe nature and minimal or no side effects. However, while you purchase it from the counter, please make sure that its expiration is not nearing.
[Read: How to Get Rid of Stasis Dermatitis]
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is a favorite essential oil and an effective natural treatment for Seborrheic dermatitis. Use the oil to get quick relief from the condition.
How to use?
- Add few drops of tea tree oil in a carrier oil in the ratio 1:10
- Apply the solution using a cotton ball on the affected region
- Leave it for around 5 to 10 minutes
- Wipe the excess of oil with a washcloth
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
The antimicrobial and antifungal properties of Tea Tree Oil make it one of the best natural remedies for treating Seborrheic dermatitis on the face and other regions.
Tee Tree Oil is quite potent, hence you must use it in diluted form only, i.e., along with a carrier oil. Also before using it, do a skin patch test to know your skin’s sensitivity to it.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Are you looking for how to treat seborrheic dermatitis hair loss? Use Apple Cider vinegar. Apple Cider Vinegar is a potent substance that helps in treating various ailments. It can also cure your Seborrheic dermatitis troubles effectively.
How to use?r
- Add two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in two cups of water
- Pour this diluted solution on your hair after shampooing and conditioning it
- Use this remedy once a week
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Application of apple cider vinegar will kill the fungus and bacteria on the scalp while balancing its pH level. Thus, preventing hair loss.
Always use apple cider vinegar in a diluted form as it is highly acidic.
Can you see the development of Seborrheic dermatitis on the ear? Pick honey which is one of the best home remedies for how to get rid of seborrheic dermatitis behind the ear and the surrounding regions.
How to Use?
- Dilute crude honey in warm water
- Apply the diluted mixture on the affected skin region
- Leave it for three hours and then wash-off
- Try this remedy every day to see results
Benefits of Honey
The strong antifungal and antibacterial properties of honey kill the fungus and bacteria on the skin. Further, the anti-inflammatory and healing properties of it, alleviate the symptoms of Seborrheic dermatitis and soothe the skin.
Use raw, unprocessed honey to reap maximum benefits.
6. Baking Soda
Want to treat Seborrheic dermatitis on eyebrows and the scalp region? The white flakes that occur due to dry skin cells can get addressed. Know how to cure the condition by using baking soda.
How to use?
- Rinse the affected region with lukewarm water
- Take some baking soda in your hand and massage it on the region
- Wait for a few minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water
- Baking soda acts as a mild exfoliator and removes the dead skin cells
- It also reduces the oiliness of the scalp
Benefits of Baking Soda
Baking soda has strong anti-fungal properties. Thus, application of baking soda can treat the condition. It also removes the dead skin cells and stimulates the blood circulation in the region.
7. Coconut oil
Are you suffering from Seborrheic dermatitis on the chest and other regions of the body? Use coconut oil for treating Seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp and other body parts and see significant results.
How to use?
- Take around half a teaspoon of coconut oil
- Massage the oil on the affected area
- Rub effectively so that the oils get into your skin
- Cover the region for better results
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil, being a natural moisturizer cures itchy and dry skin, thus alleviating the symptoms of the skin condition.
So these were the natural remedies to cure Seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis on eyelids, scalp, and other body regions can be annoying and embarrassing. The white flakes visible of the scalp can make you lock yourself in your room. Moreover, dandruff may also lead to troubles like hair loss.
Hence, it is essential to treat it as soon as possible. Choose any of the Seborrheic dermatitis natural treatment mentioned above to get rid of all the problems quickly. These accelerate the clearing up of the symptoms of the condition. Combine them with a healthy diet for better results.