Skin tags are cosmetic concern like freckles and are not a medical issue. It is neither fatal, cancerous, nor requires any kind of critical treatment.
However, people may find skin tags annoying, and may be worried about their looks.
Therefore, here are some quick and effective ways to remove skin tags naturally and safely without any medications.
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags come out of nowhere. But the good news is they are harmless, benign, causes no symptoms and have no side effects. They are medically termed as Acrochordons or fibropithelial polyps.
Skin tags are small, flesh coloured growth that appears on the folds of skin surface. They sprout as a thick stalk of the skin. The size of skin tags vary between millimetres and half inch in length. Some skin tags may be darker in colour. Once they are formed they don’t get bigger.
Skin tags are formed in areas where moisture and friction are common such as eyelids, neck, underarms, groin area, under breast and near eye creases. They appear in ones, twos or in groups, clustered together.
While they can be irritating, they are painless. However, due to friction with clothes and jewelleries, skin tags can twist and painful and tender blood clot may develop.
Causes of Skin Tags
There is no medical reason for skin tags. Skin tags are common and typically forms on people above 50 years. Skin tags are often found in diabetic and obese people.
Repetitive friction skin against skin and wearing tight clothes causes skin tags in people.
How To Remove Skin Tags Naturally and Safely
Skin tags can be removed depending upon the area it has sprouted upon. If they are visible and annoying to look at, you can ask a cosmetologist or dermatologist to treat it. Treatment is done depending upon the size and location of the skin tag and the condition of skin.
Since this is a cosmetic condition, most medical insurances do not cover treatment for skin tags. Some of the medical procedures include:
- Surgery – Removal of skin tag with scalpel
- Cauterization – Special heating tool is used to burn off the tags
- Cryotherapy – Removing tags by freezing it with liquid nitrogen
- Laser Removal – CO2 laser is used and can be performed in salons, spa and skin care clinics
However, if you feel like not shelling money out of your pocket for the treatment, we have some very effective home remedies for skin tags that you can try;
“Important Note: Do not attempt these remedies unless you are sure that you are dealing with Skin Tag.
Natural remedies take time so have patience and wait for few days and week for best outcome.
Garlic are smelly but an age old natural medication for warts and skin tags.
- Crush garlics and let its juice come out
- Apply on skin tags and secure it with bandage
- Leave overnight and wash it off in the morning
- Repeat every day until they come off
Liquid iodine breaks down skin cells effectively. But make sure you apply it only on the skin tag so as to protect your good skin cells surrounding it
- Apply coconut oil around the skin tag as barrier from Iodine
- Take a cotton swab, pour few drops of liquid Iodine and apply on the tags
- Repeat twice a day
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used as an effective skin care treatment because of its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and pH balance ability. It is useful to get rid of warts, acne, skin tags and even eczema.
- Soak a sterile cotton ball in organic apple cider vinegar and place it on the skin tag
- Bandage the cotton for 20 minutes
- Check if you have any irritation
- If no irritation persists, do this treatment before you go to sleep
- Leave the bandage overnight and wash it off next day
4. Vitamin E Oil
Another wonderful skin care treatment powerfully loaded with anti-oxidants, Vitamin E oil is highly effective for skin ailments.
- Use high quality and pure Vitamin E oil
- Apply the oil directly on skin tag and secure the area with bandage
- Change the bandage as and when needed
- Repeat until they come off
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has strong antiseptic properties that can be effective on fungal infections. It also soothes and nourishes skin and is highly recommended in treating acne, eczema, psoriasis and ofcourse, skin tags.
- Pour 6 – 8 drops of tea tree oil on cotton ball
- Apply on skin tag and secure it with bandage
- Remove after 15 minutes and wash it with warm water
- Repeat 3 times a day
6. Banana Peel or Papaya Peel
Papaya is used in many traditional as well as urban skin and health care medications. Banana peel is very good for your skin.
- Before bed, put 2 – 3 drops of Tea Tree Oil on your skin tag
- Place a peel of your choice on it and secure it with a Band-Aid
- Leave overnight
- Repeat until falls off
7. Castor Oil and Baking Soda
Castor oil has several medicinal values that take care for your hair and skin. And needless to say baking soda not only enhances our taste buds but also helps to stay rejuvenated.
- Mix 1 part of baking soda and 2 parts of castor oil
- Rub the paste gently on your skin tag
- Cover the area with a banana or papaya peel
- Bandage the area
- Leave overnight and rinse it off the next day
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains lauric acid and is a versatile anti-bacterial agent. It can kill several parasites, fungi, bacteria and protozoa.
Coconut oil is not only great for skin but also good for your hair, teeth, nails and health
- Pour 3 – 4 drops of coconut oil on your skin tag
- Rub the area gently for few minutes
- Leave it overnight
- Skin tag would disappear in few weeks’ time