Are the puffy eye bags ruining your bright morning’s every day? Well, worry not as one can remove eye bags with home remedies like cool compress which diminishes the size of the bags considerably. All we need to focus on is which of the endless treatments suit us best and how to get rid of eye bags effectively by incorporating it into our daily routine.
What is Eye Bags?
Puffiness or mild swelling under the eye is not an uncommon sight and becomes more prominent with age. This swelling is known as eye bag. With age, the tissues around the eyes along with some muscles that support the eyelids become weak. The fat that helps the eye then shifts into the lower lid. It makes the lower eyelid appear puffy.
The swelling causing the under eye bag might aggravate if fluid also accumulated in the area under the eye. The main concern here is how to get rid of eye bags? And are the swollen eye bags painful? The answer is eye bags are generally a cosmetic issue and are not a sign of any grave medical condition. They are not painful or bothersome.
What Causes Eye Bags?
Lack of sleep, age and genes are the primary cause of under eye bags. These bags can make you look older than your age and tired too.
1. Lack of Sleep
Among the most common cause of eye, bags are not getting enough sleep at night. Due to lack of sleep, your body is unable to flush excess fluid out which collects in the tissue under the eyes. It causes eye bags.
With age, the fat under the surface of the skin begins to droop. It shifts to the lower lid of the eye, thus leading to the development of eye bags.
Genetic eye bags can also get inherited from parents and grandparents as a part of DNA. If your grandparents have eye bags, you are likely to have them too when you reach their age.
How to get rid of Eye Bags using home remedies?
Treat eye bags with foods that help
1. Use a potato to treat eye bags
Potatoes are wonderous kitchen ingredient that is sure to become your skin’s best friend once you get to know its benefits.
How to use?
- Refrigerate a raw potato for a few minutes
- Take two slices out of it and then place them on your closed eyes
- Place it in a way that the two slices also cover the puffy area under your eyes
- Put them on for 15 to 20 minutes
- You shall notice a distinct reduction in the puffiness
Benefits of using potatoes
The refrigerated potatoes stay cool for quite some time. Also, it contains an astringent that assists in removing the puffiness from the affected area. You can also use finely crushed potato poultice in place of slices. Go potato and reap the benefits.
2. Treat eye bags the Milky Way
Milk is a great option to treat eye bags and moisturize your skin naturally. In the case of severely dark eye bags, continue this process at a regular interval.
How to use?
- Dip cotton balls/pads in cold milk and squeeze the excess
- Place them on the eyelids for 20 to 30 minutes
Benefits of using milk
This remedy helps in reducing water retention and would cool/soothe your eyes. Milk is an abundant source of nourishment and at the same time hydrates the skin. The use of milk also tightens under eye bags.
3. Use Egg whites to treat under eye patches
To use this remedy you have to use egg whites only instead of whole eggs.
How to use?
- Take few eggs to separate the egg whites and beat it swiftly till it becomes stiff
- Apply the gel-based egg whites around your eyes with the help of a brush or your fingers
- Lie back for 20 minutes and relax
- Remove the layer of egg whites with cold water only
- Use this remedy once in a day, and you will see a sharp reduction in eye bags within a few days.
Benefits of using egg whites
Egg white(1) is a good source of vitamin E and has higher levels of protein content that works straight to tighten the skin at the first place. After application, as the egg white dries, it tightens the skin, reduces inflammation and stimulates blood circulation.
4. Give your eye bags a cucumber relief
Cucumbers act as an excellent natural source of remedy for reducing puffy eye bags. It has been in use as a remedy for treating eye bags since long because cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use?
- Refrigerate a cucumber before bringing it in use for this remedy
- Take it out, cut two slices out of it
- Place the two slices on your eyes for at least 25 to 30 minutes
- Relax with cold soothing slices and take a nap, this remedy shall refresh your eyes and mind
Benefits of cucumber
Moreover, since the cucumber is an abundant source of antioxidants and flavonoids, it will reduce the allergy eye bags. The antioxidants recharge and refresh the skin cells by killing free radicals in the body.
How to get rid of eye bags with herbal treatment?
1. Treat eye bags with Aloe Vera Gel
How to get rid of eye bags? The best remedy to it is Aloe Vera. The use of Aloe is not only limited in the treatment of burns or other wounds; it also gets used as a remedy in the treatment of eye bags.
How to use?
- To prepare this remedy to take a fresh leaf of Aloe
- Peel off the green leafy cover around it
- Take out the gel, spread it on a sterile cotton swab and apply it to the affected area
Benefits of using aloe vera gel
Aloe Vera is made up of eighteen unique essential amino acids thereby making it the best natural remedy for puffy eye bags. Aloe Vera also has antifungal, antibacterial and various healing properties. The application results in not only reducing the puffiness around the eyes but also has anti-aging effects.
2. Treat eye bags with witch hazel
Witch hazel is an age-old herb that has been in use to treat the eye bags efficiently.
How to use?
- Take two to three tablespoons of witch hazel herb
- Refrigerate the witch hazel before applying on the swollen eye bags
- Dip sterile cotton pads, squeeze excess water
- Apply gently on the dark eye bags
- Keep the cotton pads on for 10 to 15 minutes
- It is recommended to repeat this exercise more than twice a day to reduce the puffiness from the under eye bags
Benefits of using witch hazel
Witch hazel is a very popular astringent used as a remedy for the treatment of puffy eyes. Refrigerated Witch hazel is very refreshing to use.
How to treat eye bags with essential oils?
1. Use Essential oils for Eye bags
Essential oils for eye bags reduction comprise of Lavender oil, Lemon oil, Chamomile oil.
How to use?
- To prepare this remedy, you have to mix all three oils in equal proportions with the same amount of water
- Give all four ingredients a good mix
- Gently apply this mixture with the help of sterile cotton swab or clean cloth on the affected area before going to bed
- Leave it untouched for overnight
- Repeat this exercise daily to see fast and reduced puffy eye bags
Benefits of using essential oils
Lavender oil leaves a soothing and calming effect on the affected area under eye bags. Lemon oil assists in relieving stress and is rich in antioxidants which in turn makes the affected area toned and healthier. Chamomile oil has anti-inflammatory properties as well as antioxidant properties that reduce the puffiness around eyes.
How to get rid of eye bags with home remedies?
1. Use Coconut oil to treat eye bags
Coconut oil(2) is a versatile oil that not only works efficiently to cure eye bags but also suits all skin types.
How to use?
- To prepare this remedy, you can use regular coconut oil or extra virgin coconut oil
- Take a sterile cotton swab/a brush/or use your fingers to spread the oil on the affected area
- For best results, it is recommended to use coconut oil before you go to bed so that the oil can be left untouched overnight
- Daily application of coconut oil shall reduce dark eye bags
Benefits of using coconut oil
Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties. It is rich in Lauric acid which acts as a source of essential nutrient to the skin.
2. Treat eye bags with green tea bags
Green tea bags is a potent remedy for curing eye bags effectively. To effectively use this remedy, the green tea bags or chamomile tea bags must be refrigerated well.
How to use?
- Place the chilled tea bags on the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes and relax
- Repeat this exercise more than twice a day to witness the best results
Benefits of using green tea bags
Green tea is an abundant source of antioxidants that play an essential role in rejuvenating the cells and skin of the affected area hence resulting in decreased redness, swelling, and puffiness. It is also rich in tannins that assist in reducing eye inflammation. Chamomile tea also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Also Read: Unbelievable Side Effects of Green Tea
3. Coffee ground mix for treatment of puffy eyes
For this remedy, you need coffee, black pepper, coconut oil. The preparation of this remedy is straightforward.
How to use?
- Take half a spoon of coffee beans, a tiny pinch of black pepper
- Add one teaspoon of coconut oil
- A sterile cotton swab or any cotton cloth
- Mix all the components thoroughly and carefully apply the prepared mixture under the eyes
- Be very careful that the mixture does not enter into your eyes
- Leave it at the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it with cold water
- You can repeat this exercise more than twice a week for reducing swollen eye bags
Benefits of this mix
The caffeine present in coffee is rich in anti-inflammatory properties and helps in reducing the puffiness as well as swelling around the eyes. The black pepper enhances blood circulation in tiny vessels and keeps skin cells under the eyes healthier. Coconut oil also tends to moisturize the skin and make it glow.
4. Use Baking soda to treat eye bags
Baking soda is one kitchen ingredient that works well to treat multiple ailments of the body.
How to use?
- To prepare this remedy to take one teaspoon of baking soda
- A cup of warm to hot water
- Mix the baking soda well in the water
- Dip cotton pads/bags in it, squeeze the excess of water from cotton pads before applying to the affected area
- Leave the pads on for 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove the cotton pads and rinse your face with cold water
- Repeat this exercise once a day
Benefits of using baking soda
Baking soda assists in better circulation of blood flow and hence gets used in the reduction of eye bags. It is a naturally occurring exfoliant that helps the skin for glowing.
How to get rid of eye bags with natural treatment?
1. Take Vitamin-E help
Do you know how to get rid of eye bags with Vitamin-E? Well, it helps a great deal to tighten under eye bags. Read on to find out(3).
How to use?
- Take some cold water in a utensil and add to it some drops of Vitamin-E
- Mix the entire solution well before using it
- Take two cotton ball/pads dip them in the solution
- Squeeze the excess and place it in such a way that it covers not only the eyes but also the affected area
- Keep them on for 15 to 20 minutes to reduce eye bags
Benefits of using Vitamin E
Vitamin E helps to fight against the free radicals that are the main reason for the aging of the skin.
2. Use chilled spoons and water
The puffiness around eyes can also get reduced with the use of chilled water and stainless steel spoons.
How to use?
- Keep the spoons in chilled water, for best results you can put them in the refrigerator too
- Follow the next step by placing the cold spoons over the eyes; remember only the concave side facing downwards should make contact with your eyes
- It is recommended to use more than two spoons so that you can switch them once they lose the cool
- Keep changing spoons unless there is some improvement
- You can also use tiny ice packs in place of stainless steel spoons
Benefits of using cold spoons
The freezing temperature of the spoon directly helps to constrict the blood vessels that in turn tightens the skin bags under the eyes.
3. Homemade rose water
Prepare homemade fresh rose water to cure eye bags naturally.
How to use?
- The preparation of this remedy requires rose petals and water
- Clean utensil well before simmering rose petals to avoid any mishappening
- After some time the red color of the rose petals disappear
- Your rosewater is ready to use
- Pour this liquid in another utensil and let it come down to room temperature
- For best results and feel cool the rose water in the refrigerator
- Use two cotton pads dip them in chilled rose water
- Apply on the area affected by puffiness for 10 to 15 minutes
Benefits of using rose water
Rose water is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C as well as flavonoids. It acts as a natural astringent with superior anti-inflammatory properties.
How to remove under eye patches with supplements?
1. Under Eye Patches for Bags
It is a revolutionary treatment that claims to rejuvenate the delicate and smooth skin under the eyes. Eye bags patches contain a rich blend of green tea, plant extracts, and antioxidant vitamins put into a gel sheet.
This sheet is an active hydrogel matrix which comforts and cools the skin and also delivers a concentrated as well as a continuous flow of hydration and nourishment to the swollen area. It relieves the swelling and puffiness and also reduces dark circles. If used religiously, the eye bag patches may even diminish wrinkles and fine lines.
How to use?
- Peel the foil and take out the pair of under-eye patches
- Apply it on the eye bags and smoothen it properly
- Keep it for 30 minutes
- Remove it gently
- Use it three times a week for better results
Note: All the home mentioned above remedies are easy on pockets. However, if you want to know how to get rid of eye bags through non-surgical treatment (a minimally invasive technique)getting Restylane eye bag filler is the answer. These are cosmetic fillers that are used to treat puffy eye bags.
- If your puffy eye bags are itching, avoid rubbing them as this will enhance the irritation and make the swollen eye bags even puffier.
- Do not apply hemorrhoid cream on the under eye bags. Many people believe that hemorrhoid creams temporarily reduce eye bags and it might be right too. But the chemicals in the cream could be harmful to the eyes and the skin around it. You can face a severe inflammatory response called chemical conjunctivitis.
- Do not smoke as smoking can intensify the problem of swollen eye bags. Researchers have proved that nocturnal nicotine withdrawal symptoms disturb the sleep pattern. Lack of proper sleep can aggravate under eye bags.
- Avoid Allergens as they adversely affect puffy eyes. Alternatively, go for over-the-counter medications for allergies. Contact your doctor if you develop allergy eye bags due to soaps, hair dyes, cosmetics, and any such allergen.
Eye bags come uninvited and ruin our day from the moment we wake up and look at ourselves in the mirror. We wish they had not popped up in the first place. But these puffy eye bags do not succumb to our wishes. All we can do is to think about how to reduce them. Although, eye bags keep on reoccurring now and then, yet we can try and figure out how to get rid of eye bags.
Luckily, with some natural and simple natural remedies, we can effectively ease puffiness from under the eyes. These remedies include ingredients that are readily available at home and which can easily get incorporated into our routine. Simple ingredients like cucumber, potato, ice, and tea bags can do wonders in helping us get rid of these bags.
Over-the-counter items like under eye patches also to some extent relieve the swelling. Since it is a cosmetic problem, therefore we do not need to approach a medical practitioner. But downright ignoring the issue would result in worsening it in the long run. Eye bags can thus be treated by incorporating any natural remedy of your choice in your daily routine and keeping away from all the factors that are known to aggravate them.