Almost 25% of the world’s population suffers from the fatty liver at least once in their life. Milk thistle is often used as a remedy to treat fatty liver. This plant is a native to the Mediterranean region in Europe. But it is also grown in different places around the world like Australia, North and South
America and even in some parts of Africa. This Mediterranean plant is believed to prevent the toxins from attaching themselves to the liver, and it also eliminates free radicals.
Milk thistle is good for fatty liver because it contains silymarin that helps to reduce the inflammation in and around the liver. Medical and scientific research carried out on milk thistle has shown different types of results. It has been observed that silymarin really helps to reduce inflammation and also promotes the repairing of cells. So milk thistle for fatty liver is an effective and proven remedy that can be used.
- FDA has not yet concluded whether Milk thistle can be considered as an effective medication. So it is not recommended that you use it as a substitute for your prescribed medicine.
- Milk thistle can treat you from heartburn during the summers. It can treat malaria and mushroom poisoning.
How to Consume Milk Thistle for Fatty Liver?
Milk thistle for the fatty liver can be consumed in a variety of ways. Milk thistle(1) is available in different forms in the market – capsule, powder, and also in liquid form. If you purchase a powder form of milk thistle, then you can mix it with a cup of tea or blend the item while making a smoothie.
Many people mix it in the water and drink it every day without a miss. In case of a capsule or pill, it should be taken just like you take another form of capsule medication or as per the dosage instructions. You can also opt for the liquid extract, add it into a glass of water or tea and then consume it.
So these are the effective ways in which you can consume Milk Thistle.
[Also Read: Home Remedies or Fatty Liver]
Side Effects of Milk Thistle
Even though milk thistle is an effective compound, there are certain side effects related to it. Here are the most common side effects of milk thistle –
- Excess milk thistle dosage for the fatty liver can lead to diarrhea and other digestive problems. It could cause bloating in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Milk thistle can cause an allergic reaction if you are allergic to the different other plants belonging to the same family like marigolds, and chrysanthemums.
- Excess milk thistle can impact blood-sugar levels. So if you any diabetic patient consult your doctor before consuming Milk Thistle for fatty liver.
- If you are suffering from uterine, breast, or ovarian cancer, avoid using this herb. Also, women who are pregnant or currently breastfeeding should consult their doctors before consuming.
Milk thistle for fatty liver is an excellent home remedy that will help you get rid of the problem effectively. However, whether you want to use it or not depends on you. The FDA has not yet confirmed the medicinal benefits of Milk Thistle. But people have been using it for a long time now to treat different disorders. Hence, you must be knowledgeable about it before you start consuming.
1. How Much Milk Thistle for Fatty Liver?
Ans. To treat fatty liver and get rid of its symptoms, it is recommended that at least 420–600 mg of Milk Thistle should be consumed regularly.
2. Can Milk Thistle Be Harmful?
Usually, milk thistle causes no harmful side effects. However, Milk thistle may cause diarrhea. Also, women with uterine, breast, and ovarian cancers should avoid taking milk thistle. You can take milk thistle for up to 41 months.
3. Does Milk Thistle Work for Fatty Liver?
Ans. Yes. Due to the presence of an anti-inflammatory substance called silymarin, which helps to cure the inflammation, Milk thistle works effectively on the fatty liver. However, milk thistle dosage for the fatty liver plays an important role in the treatment and should be.
4. Does Milk Thistle Interact with Any Medications?
Yes. Milk thistle may interfere with some medications like allergy drugs because both milk thistle and medications are broken down by the same liver enzymes.
5. Does Milk Thistle Help Kidneys?
Research indicates that milk thistle extracts might reduce the risk of death and improve liver function in people with cirrhosis. However, milk thistle extract may not benefit all patients with liver disease.