One, two, three, four…! What is that you are counting? Is it the number of days that passed since you last pooped? And when you go for pooping, do you have to put extra stress to pass the stools? These signs of constipation impact you by impairing your social life and work life as you feel under the weather all the time.
Your mind is always on that bloating feeling in the stomach which doesn’t subside despite swallowing prescribed pills and syrups. Keep your chin up and go for massage for constipation treatment. With this method of treatment, you can have your field days once again.
- Over 4 million Americans have this most common digestive condition – constipation, which is known as the silent epidemic with about 15% of the U.S. population suffering from its chronic form.
- More people from the south are known to have a high frequency of constipation than their counterparts in the rest of the United States. People with low income are also estimated to show a higher prevalence of constipation than those who come from high-income families.
[Also Read: Treat Constipation Naturally]
Massage for Constipation
Does Massage for Constipation Work?
Constipation is a symptom or a condition when the bowel movements are difficult and painful, or you have less frequent bowel movements. Constipation must not be confused with a disease; it is a condition which can occur due to various factors. It is the most commonly occurring problem related to digestion in people with eating disorders in America.
According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)(1), it is known that generally, 16 out of 100 Americans suffer from the symptoms of constipation.
There are many methods and medications available in the market that treat constipation. Few ways are healthy, and few come along with some side effects. Massage for constipation is one of the most neglected methods.
If you have regular massages, then it can help you to treat constipation by releasing waste and gaseous out of the body. Massages over the abdomen are considered very beneficial for the treatment of constipation. Yes, massage for constipation is not just a myth or a vague cure; it works like a charm.
Types of Massage Therapies
Abdominal Massage for Constipation Relief
According to researches, abdominal massage is the most effective treatment for chronic constipation. The abdominal massage for constipation helps to induce frequent bowel movements. The transit time in the colon may also decrease as soon as you undergo an abdominal massage.
Colon Massage for Constipation Relief
The colon massage is also considered as an internal massage for the organ or deep abdominal massage. This massage for treating constipation might give you beneficial results such as removing gas, waste, and blockages. The colon massage also helps in reduction of the gastric fluid in the body. It also helps in benefitting your overall health of the digestive system.
[Also Read: Probiotics for Constipation]
Perineal Massage for Constipation Relief
It is a form of self-acupressure paired with more standard care. According to 2015 studies(2), the combination is more effective than the usual care for the treatment of constipation. It takes about one month to get noticeable effects on bowel health and function, constipation and well-being.
Back Massage for Constipation Relief
Everyone loves a full body or back massage. It helps in intense relaxation of the entire body. It helps to improve the digestion process, reduction in muscle tension and helps relieve stress. These signs may help in constipation treatment.
Foot Massage for Constipation Relief
Foot massages are popularly called reflexology. According to the researches carried out in 2003(3), children suffering from constipation had improvements at greater extents when they got treated with reflexology. All the children underwent 30 minutes of sessions in the overall six weeks course.
[Read: Yoga for Constipation Relief]
DIY Massage Methods
There are many ways to cure constipation by massage. The most effective ones are:
Castor Oil Pack for Constipation
- Apply a tablespoon of Castor Oil on the lower abdomen.
- Place a warm towel along with a hot water bottle on top.
It will help in softening the fecal compaction over time. It is a non-intrusive and gentle remedy.
Self-Abdominal Massage for Constipation
- Lie down in a calm atmosphere and get comfortable.
- Rest your hand on a pillow and cover your legs with a blanket
- Unveil your stomach and lower abdominal area so that you can apply some chosen essential oil.
- Make a small mixture of an essential oil and carrier oil and rub the oils together on your right side.
- Start at the lowest end of your stomach and move your hands in a circular motion to promote the bowel movement.
- Similarly, work your way across your stomach to the transverse colon.
- Lastly, make your way down the colon to your groin area to give your bowels a specified direction.
I Love You Belly Massage for Constipation
- Apply one tablespoon of chosen massage oil (Castor, Coconut, Olive) on the belly.
- Now, place your hand flat over your navel.
- Shake the abdominal area gently while putting the hand on the navel.
- By using the tips of your two index fingers, massage on your small intestines in a circular clockwise motion around the navel.
- Repeat the respective step for 3-5 times.
- Start clockwise rotations from your right hip bone by using the flat ends of fingers.
- Gradually move to the upward portion to the ribs.
- The pattern travels along the ascending colon.
- Then, circle both the L and I together, starting from the right hip bone along the colon.
- Now move to left along the transverse colon.
- The following process resembles L and I.
- Complete the I L U cycle together and repeat the following process directing the motions towards the rectum.
The ways mentioned above are one of the most effective techniques and massage procedures regarding massage for constipation.
Wondering how essential oils will work for Constipation? Read on to know more
Ginger Oil Massage for Constipation
Ginger oil is a very beneficial and ancient remedy for treating constipation, and its uses form an integral part of the Indian and Chinese medication for digestive disorders. This essential oil is used with precautions owing to its highly concentrated composition.
Use only two drops of this essential oil over a warm towel and place it on your abdominal area. When the towel cools down, massage gently in a clockwise direction over your abdomen for 2- 3 minutes.
Fennel Oil Massage for Constipation
Fennel is not an unknown seed in the field of constipation remedies. It is one amongst the first sought after options for treating constipation at home. The volatile substances of fennel oil are of significant impact and benefit for treating constipation. Its aroma and massage process for constipation helps in the movement of bowels inside the intestines.
You can take two drops of this essential oil and mix it in any carrier oil of your choice, then massage it over your stomach starting from the naval with small circles in the start and then spread across. You can also put it in a diffuser and inhale.
Peppermint Oil Massage for Constipation
Peppermint oil contains menthol which gives you the cooling effect when applied or consumed. It is ideal for relaxation of the body muscles. It helps in the treatment of mild constipation by combining one drop of peppermint oil with 3-4 drops of warm carrier oil. Massage the oil on the abdominal area to get the best results.
- how much castor oil to take for constipation? Excessive use of castor oil can cause vomiting and nausea. It might even pose several health risks for some people as well, so it’s recommended to take the advice of the expert before using.
- Always massage your abdomen gently, do not apply a lot of pressure as it can be harmful.
- Do not eat anything before an abdominal massage for curing constipation; try to keep a gap of at least 2-3 hours before or after meals.
- Pregnant women should not undergo any massage for constipation cure over their abdominal area as it can be harmful to the baby.
- The entire essential oils are very concentrated. Do not use it at full strength. It’s recommended to dilute with the carrier oil or mix it with your body lotion.
Massage for constipation is the safest known method. You don’t need to do anything, relax and let the professionals do their work. When you adopt this method of treatment, your discomfort will vanish like it was never even there. The most acute or initial stages of constipation can also be cured by making a few changes in the regular lifestyle.
Drink the right amount of water and increase the fiber intake in the daily diet to stay healthy. It is even recommended to take massage sessions for constipation twice a month. Massage increases the blood circulation in your whole body which in turn keeps you healthy in all aspects.