Does lemon balm work for anxiety? You may get an effective treatment using lemon balm for anxiety management. Lemon balm reduces stress, which may be the cause of concern. It triggers the production of a neurotransmitter called gamma-Aminobutyric acid. The brain can respond quickly to stress using this acid.
Did You Know!
Lemon balm has antimicrobial properties that could cure certain diseases linked to stress. Lemon balm also reduces nervousness and edginess, which may be triggering anxiety. This feature is called relaxing nervine (1). As such, lemon balm has both preventative and curative effects on anxiety. Additionally, lemon balm increases attention and enhances cognitive abilities. Moreover, lemon balm leaves contain terpenes. This compound is an active calming agent.
Lemon balm for anxiety
One of the most popular ways to ingest lemon balm is by having fresh tea. Lemon balm tea is quite effective in treating anxiety. You may use the following recipe.
- You need two cups of water. It is preferred to use distilled water. If distilled water is not available, you may use regular water.
- Boil the water in a pan. Once the water is boiled, put it over two teaspoons of fresh lemon balm. If dried balm leaves are used, the recommended amount is one teaspoon.
- Let the mixture infuse for almost 10 minutes.
- You may add honey to the mixture to sweeten it. Honey itself helps reduce anxiety. Thus, adding honey could boost the effectiveness of the mix.
- Chill the tea in your freezer.
- You may add Valerian root extracts to the tea. The recommended amount of velaric is 120 to 200 mg per serving. The serving can be taken every day thrice. ‘The tea may be consumed at bedtime to improve sleep quality. Using valerian and lemon balm for anxiety can provide instant relief and calmness.
Apart from the tea, lemon balm can be easily added to your regular food items.
- You may directly incorporate the leaves. Take fresh lemon balm leaves and dry them. Once dried, grind the leaves to make a fine powder. This powder can be used along with your favorite foods for seasoning
- Lemon balm leaves may be added to your favorite carrier oil. For example, if you prefer coconut oil for cooking, you may add lemon balm powder to it.
- You may add a few drops of lemon balm in your yogurt. Some people prefer to use it with desserts.
Lemon Balm Aromatherapy
Another method for using lemon balm treatment is through aromatherapy.
- Nasal inhalation is quite useful — one method of doing so it placing a few drops of the balm on your palm. You may then deeply inhale the aroma from your palm. The smell travels quickly to your brain and nervous system. As a result, the patient may get instant relief from anxiety.
- Tiny drops can be placed on the skin below your nose. This method is effective before bedtime.
- You may apply lemon balm oil on a handkerchief or scarf.
- You may add a few drops of lemon balm into a diffuser. This shall allow for a calming effect along with the aroma in your room.
- You may add other essential oils to improve the aroma and the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Another method for aromatherapy is vaping. Add the balm along with a carrier oil to the vape. The vape heats the lotion and turns it into vapor. Vaping may provide instant relief as the contents of the vape reach the brain upon inhale.
The recommended dosage is around 300 milligrams of lemon balm daily. This dosage has to be repeated for 15 days for complete anxiety relief.
Although oral consumption of lemon balm is generally considered safe in the short term, it may have adverse side effects in the long run. For the short-term, it is well-tolerated by most users. (2)There may be a loss of appetite and nausea. Regular intake may also result in dizziness and wheezing. For people with diabetes, lemon balm can result in lower blood sugar levels.
If post-surgery sleep medication is being used, lemon balm can increase drowsiness. For someone suffering from thyroid disease, lemon balm may prove dangerous. It is recommended that you must consult a trained medical practitioner before adopting any regular lemon balm treatment.
Lemon balm can provide a safe method for patients to control their anxiety. However, it may result in causing stress if a high-dosage is used. Lemon balm is cheap and readily available. Most of the remedies require minimal preparation. As a result, lemon balm treatment for anxiety may be a viable option for most patients.
1. What is the recommended lemon balm dosage for anxiety?
Dosage may vary from patient to patient. Generally, the recommended dosage is one to two teaspoons daily. However, consult your doctor for the exact solution for you.
2. Should pregnant women use lemon balm?
There has been very little research regarding this issue. It is best to avoid the treatment to ensure there are no complications.
3. Can lemon balm be fatal?
Lemon balm might have mild side effects. However, there are no cases reported of lemon balm being fatal.