Insomnia is a Sleep Disorder. People with Insomnia either cannot sleep or find it very difficult to sleep. This is the most common sleep disorder. Insomnia is generally caused by psychiatric and medical conditions and also certain biological factors.
There are many people who experience short term insomnia too. These people too find it difficult to fall asleep as soon as they lie on the bed. They keep on tossing from side to side, feeling very uncomfortable.
According to recent research, insomnia is a brain disease that disturbs your sleep cycles. 6 out of every 10 adults have mild or severe sleep disorders(1).
Emotional disorders, high levels of stress, traveling to different time zones, sedentary lifestyle, and changes in work hours are all reasons for Insomnia.
Sometimes, Cardiovascular diseases and Obesity can also be the reasons for Insomnia, another reason being Menopause.
A lot of cases of Insomnia have been managed by resorting to LifeStyle changes and by using home remedies. An average adult should get at least 7 to 8 hours of healthy sleep. If you are suffering from insomnia, use the below-mentioned remedies and lead a healthy life.
Natural Remedies for Insomnia
CURE 1: Home Remedies for Insomnia
1. Poppy Seeds:
These are a natural cure for insomnia. They are a rich source of minerals, calcium, carbohydrates and B-complex vitamins. Having one teaspoon of poppy seeds or its oil before going to bed can cure insomnia naturally.
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut powder
- ½ tablespoon Clarified butter
- 1 pinch cumin powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Take equal amounts of poppy seeds and coconut powder.
- Add a small amount of water to form a thick paste.
- Melt some clarified butter in a frying pan.
- Add a pinch of cumin and turmeric to the pan.
- Remove the pan from heat and mix the paste well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Eat this mixture (Chew Well) one hour before you go to sleep for better results.
2. Bottle Gourd
Bottle gourd is one of the effective natural cures for insomnia. Bottle gourd can mainly help in inducing sleep.
- ½ cup Bottle Gourd Juice
- ½ cup Sesame Oil
- A clean bowl
- Extract bottle gourd juice into a bowl.
- Add sesame oil to in the same proportion.
- Mix both well.
- Use this mixture to massage on your scalp daily before going to bed.
- You can also include bottle gourd in your daily diet for an insomnia cure.
How nutmeg work for insomnia? Nutmeg is an effective remedy to cure insomnia as it is rich in myristicin that works as a tranquilizer and helps you in getting sleep naturally.
- 1 tablespoon Indian Gooseberry juice
- 1 pinch of Nutmeg powder
- Take one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry juice.
- Mix one pinch of nutmeg powder to it.
- Eat this mixture thrice a day to cure insomnia.
- This remedy also helps in curing the problems associated with indigestion and depression.
Celery is an excellent source of enzymes and antioxidants. Celery is loaded with essential minerals and vitamins such as folate, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C and vitamin K.
- A bunch of fully-grown celery
- 1 tablespoon Honey
Crush celery leaves completely with its stalk to extract the juice. Take one tablespoon of honey and add to the juice. Eat this mixture every night before sleeping cure insomnia.
Celery contains a rich amount of phthalides that can minimize the secretion of stress-inducing hormones in your body and eventually relax your muscular and nervous system. It is considered as an essential natural cure for insomnia.
5. Fenugreek Juice
- 2 tablespoons of Fenugreek leaves juice
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Extract the juice from fenugreek leaves
- Take 2 teaspoons of this juice and add one teaspoon of honey to it.
- Take this mixture before bedtime to cure insomnia naturally.
Fenugreek usually acts as a tranquilizer that induces sleep and effectively cures insomnia
[Also Read: Home Remedies to Treat Insomnia]
CURE 2: Foods
Wondering how foods will work for insomnia? Read on ahead to know more.
1. Milk & Turmeric for insomnia:
Drinking a glass of lukewarm milk before bedtime has a soporific effect on your body which triggers sleep easily. Milk contains tryptophan which helps in stimulating serotonin production that can eventually provide you with better sleep.
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- An inch piece of peeled and fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Warm the milk in a boiler
- Add turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and honey to it
- Whisk well to dissolve all the ingredients and pour in a glass.
- Drink this every day just before going to bed.
This recipe fights inflammation, promotes relaxation and protects against oxidative damage and sleep deprivation. It also lowers anxiety levels.
You can even try substituting Turmeric with Banana. As Banana is rich in Potassium, melatonin, tryptophan, and Magnesium, it benefits the overstressed muscles and promotes quality sleep.
2. Honey for insomnia:
This wonder food is a natural cure for Insomnia. It is known for its hypnotic and sedative effects which help in inducing sound sleep. Taking honey regularly will promote relaxation.
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- A glass of distilled water
- Take a glass of distilled water
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey to it.
- Stir well till the honey dissolves completely.
- Drink this solution just before going to bed.
[Also Read: Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar]
3. Apple Cider Vinegar for Insomnia Treatment
Apple cider vinegar is rich in amino acids that can provide relief from fatigue and helps you in getting sleep naturally.
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 glass of Warm Water
- Mix apple cider vinegar with honey in a glass of warm water
- Stir Well till all the three ingredients blend properly
- Drink this just before going to bed every day.
Honey generally increases insulin levels in your body that cause the release of serotonin in your body which promotes sleep. Drink this mixture before bedtime for better results.
You can also mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of honey and take one tablespoon of this mixture daily. You can take this mixture with or without water to cure insomnia naturally.
[Also Read: Teas That Help You Treat Insomnia]
Other Natural Remedies For Insomnia
Exercises are the best remedy one could practice for insomnia. Because when you keep your body active for a long time and engage it in a variety of activities, you will be exhausted and would be able to sleep instantly as the muscles of the body would need rest.
Getting sunlight is another way of getting rid of insomnia. You might be wondering, “How is this possible?” This is because of the melatonin we get from the sunlight. Every morning, assure that you spend some time in the sunlight. This process makes your biological clock understand the difference between day and night time.
3. Set your diet plan:
Food plays a vital role in curing Insomnia. Proper supply of nutrients to the body impacts sleep. Intake of nutritious food will ensure that you get adequate sleep.
CURE 3: Alternative Treatments
1. Yoga for Insomnia treatment
Padahasthasana or Uttanasana is a standing forward bend that helps increase the blood supply and stimulates the nervous system. It helps the spine to become supple. The elongated stretch and the enhanced blood circulation fight against insomnia.
Marjariasana is another spine-extending and spine-flexing aasana that not only improves blood circulation but also massages the organs in the abdomen and relaxes the mind leading to quality sleep and less Insomnia.
Baddha Konasana which is also called butterfly pose or the cobbler pose gives strength to the inner thighs, knees, and groin. It also helps to get rid of fatigue. This asana helps in unwinding and promotes better sleep.
[Also Read: Yoga Poses for Treating Insomnia]
2. Acupuncture for Insomnia treatment
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese therapy to treat a variety of ailments of the body. It has proven to provide long term consistent results. Many people from different countries suffering from different health issues opt for this therapy.
Acupuncture treats different issues connected to insomnia like
- Trouble in drifting off to sleep or wakefulness during odd hours of the night.
- Waking amidst the night and inability to return to sleep.
- Delayed or terminal sleeping disorder, or waking up at the wee hours of the morning accompanied by an inability to get back to sleep.
- Sleep that is aggravated by nightmares and disruptive dreams.
- And finally, an inability to sleep on time.
Insomnia shows an imbalance of energy in a specific part of the body. Subsequently, acupuncture cures each sort of insomnia in different ways. The acupuncturist redirects the imbalanced flow of energy and helps to establish a healthy sleeping pattern.
The type of insomnia decides the kind of acupuncture therapy that you need. You can fall asleep right after the therapy is done and continue to sleep profoundly for hours. The best and most peaceful sleep is the one that you immediately get after an acupuncture therapy session.
Benefits: Sleep deprivation can be incapacitating and can deny you of a healthy lifestyle. If you experience the ill effects of insomnia, visit an expert acupuncturist to cure insomnia instead of resorting to toxic sleeping pills and drugs. The procedure is painless and you will experience a slight twitch followed by immense relief and relaxation.
3. Homeopathy for Insomnia treatment
Coffea Cruda is a natural homeopathic medicine and is considered the best homeopathic medicine for sleeplessness. It is good at dealing with sleep disturbances caused by dreams. Waking up suddenly, sleeplessness owing to coffee abuse, and restless sleep are the other symptoms that that can be cured with Coffea. Coffee is also one of the top natural medicine for Insomnia.
Kali Phos (Kali Phosphoricum) is a nerve nutrient cell salt that offers relief from stress. It treats Insomnia arising out of anxiety and stress, that may be related to health issues, studies or business.
Kali Phos is beneficial not only for Insomnia that occurs because of over physical or mental exertion but also for nervous fatigue. Kali Phos is also the top homeopathic remedy for curing Insomnia induced by a drained-out mind.
Nux Vomica is a spiny southern Asian tree with orange fruits. It is the best remedy for people who have no consistent sleep. These people fall asleep easily but wake up too early the next morning, and after this, they wouldn’t be able to sleep. Nux Vomica is very beneficial for Insomnia caused by caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol abuse.
Pulsatilla is another homeopathic medicine that acts like a miracle for those who find it difficult to sleep.
Borax, Chamomilla and Cina, are the top 3 Homeopathic medicines for treating Insomnia in children.
It is an apt remedy for a child who is restless, crying, screaming and tossing in bed at night.
Chamomilla is also a great remedy for curing sleeplessness in children resulting from ear pains colic and from dentition ailments.
Borax is an excellent for insomnia in children who sleep well during the day but do not sleep well at night. It is apt for children who shriek, cry or get up suddenly as if they have had a dreadful dream.
It is always good to consult your homeopathic doctor and ask for the right dosage to be used.
CURE 4: Essential Oils for Insomnia Treatment
Essential oils made from a variety of flowers, plants, and trees. Many conditions are treated by inhaling oils or massaging them directly on to the skin. This is called aromatherapy.
A review conducted on 72 adults with anxiety or poor sleep found that anxiety decreased to a considerable extent with using CBD Oil(2).
Below are the most effective essential oils that can be used to cure Insomnia.
1. Roman Chamomile oil for Insomnia Treatment
This is one of the best natural sedatives which promotes sleep almost instantly. It is very helpful in treating Stress and Anxiety.
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- A bowl of hot water
- Take a bowl of steaming hot water.
- Add about 10 drops of Roman chamomile essential oil to it.
- Inhale the aroma and you will feel sleepy almost immediately.
2. CBD Oil for Insomnia treatment
CBD Oil reduces sleep difficulties thereby increasing the overall amount of sleep. It improves sleep quality and reduces insomnia.
CBD Oil can be used in different ways to cure Insomnia. Oral ingestion, topical application and by taking in the aroma. Consult your doctor before using CBD oil to know the exact amount to be used.
For topical application, CBD Oil should always be diluted with a carrier oil.
3. Lavender Essential Oil Insomnia Treatment
- A clean bathtub with warm water
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Add 10 to 12 drops of Lavender essential oil to your bathtub of warm water.
- Lay in the tub for about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Try this every night just before going to bed.
Within a few days, you will observe that you will begin to have quality sleep.
Benefits: Lavender oil reduces anxiety and emotional stress. It improves the functioning of the brain. And improves sleep.
4. Cedarwood Essential Oil for Insomnia treatment
People use cedarwood oil is known for its hypnotizing effects which helps you get better quality sleep. It is being used from the past 2 decades for muscle relaxation and is becoming popular for its relaxing benefits on the mind and the body too.
How To Use
- 8 drops Cedarwood essential oil – 8 drops
- 3 tablespoons Lavender oil
- A small bowl to mix
- Add 3 tablespoons of Lavender oil to a small bowl
- Add 8 drops of cedarwood essential oil to it
- Mix well
Apply the mixture on to your feet.
How many times:
Do this 1 time a day just before going to bed.
Cedarwood oil has a woody scent which relaxes your body and lets you have a much-needed sleep. It can release tension from your body and benefits you in many ways. Since sleeplessness is the root of many health defects, it can effectively prevent you from them.
Tips to beat Insomnia
- Maintain a regular sleep time every day.
- Make sure you have a restful sleep environment
- Make sure your bed is comfortable for you
- Regular physical exercise
- Say no to Alcohol
- No smoking
- Don’t over indulge in food
- Cut down on coffee consumption
- Relax your mind before going to bed
- Meditate, if required
Insomnia can increase the risk of many other diseases like depression and anxiety. It is recommended to cure insomnia naturally to avoid the risk of other diseases. Sleeplessness generally disturbs your daily routine and thus, it is better to cure insomnia naturally without medicines. The above-mentioned natural remedies can help in effectively curing insomnia at home without posing any side effects.
Insomnia is not just a nuisance or a small inconvenience. It is a serious disorder but it can be treated.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does insomnia last?
There is a kind of Insomnia that lasts only for 1 night called Transient Insomnia. There is also chronic insomnia. There are people who live with this condition for years too, who this that this is one of their traits of normal being. It is just that they get used to sleeplessness.
2. Can insomnia be treated?
There are many treatments available for Insomnia. But the main problem with insomnia is that it can be caused due to some other condition. This cause can be diagnosed by your doctor for giving you the proper treatment. Treatment options may include Alternate Therapies, Sleep Hygiene, prescription sleep aids, over the counter medications or cognitive behavioral therapy.
3. Is insomnia life-threatening?
If Insomnia is a result of secondary symptoms to com[plex sleep apnea, it can surely be life threatening because insomnia alone is not a problem but the root cause that leads to Insomnia is fatal.
4. How do I know if I’m getting enough sleep?
On an average, an adult requires 7 to 8 hours of sleep a day. Feeling sleepy during the day, Low energy, moodiness, trouble concentrating are all indicators of inadequate sleep.