Different Ways of Including Nutgmeg in Your Diet
The nutmeg tree whose botanical name goes by Myristicafragrans provides one of the most potent spices of the world. Nutmeg is popular for its culinary purposes. It offers a sweet taste with a pungent smell which adds flavor to the dishes. There are various ways to utilize the health benefits of nutmeg.(1)
It is available in forms of powder, essential oil and extracts. One popular dish that owes its credit to nutmeg is Alfredo. There is a long list of nutmeg uses – it reduces inflammation, pain, treats digestive issues, insomnia, etc. Nutmeg is a trendy powder, and its affordability makes it the most popular choice for culinary purposes and also for its uses in our daily life.
What Are the Effects of Nutmeg on Your Body?
A lot of people diligently use nutmeg for medicinal uses. The nutmeg properties include several components like fiber, thiamin, and vitamin B6, folate, copper and malignant.
The health benefits of nutmeg are explained further below-
- Its efficiency to reduce pain. A lot of physical ailments like cancer, arthritis, inflammatory pain works when nutmeg is used in the form of nutmeg oil. IT has analgesic properties that work as a pain reliever.
- Nutmeg aids digestion. Nutmeg has medicinal properties that are very useful in treating ulcers in the stomach and other diseases like gastroenteritis, indigestion and stomach ulcers.
- Nutmeg helps in improving the functioning of your brain. Nutmeg has several neuroprotective properties. Nutmeg contains myristicin, eugenol, and elemicin. These help to increase the serotonin and dopamine levels. They have a therapeutic effect and prevent any neurodegenerative diseases, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- Nutmeg has been used to treat liver(2) disorders since ancient times.
- IT is said that if you add nutmeg spice to your food, your blood pressure level will remain in control. Along with the usage of nutmeg for blood pressure, it is essential to note that a less salt diet must also be maintained.
- Nutmeg benefits for men include its ability to increase libido and treat erectile dysfunction.
[Read: Nutmeg for Lose Weight]
What Are the Ways to Use Nutmeg for Its Benefits?
1. Nutmeg Daily Dose
You can consume nutmeg at 2 mg /kg body weight. Nutmeg benefits and side effects go hand in hand. As powerful it may be, an overdose can be very harmful. You must never exceed more than 5gm dosage.
2. Nutmeg powder for Sleep
Things you will need 250 ml milk, a pinch of nutmeg powder.
Method Take a cup of warm milk and add nutmeg powder to it. Stir well and drink half an hour before sleeping.
This particular method helps in treating insomnia and helps you to get a good night’s sleep.
[Read: Nutmeg for Skin]
3. Nutmeg powder for Skin
Things you will need Nutmeg powder, Honey
Method Take 1 tsp of nutmeg powder and 1 tsp honey. ( If you scale up they should be of same quantity) . Make a smooth paste and apply it on your pimples. Let it rest for half an hour and then wash with lukewarm water.
Things you will need Nutmeg powder, Milk and Oatmeal
Method Take 4 tsp milk, 1 tsp nutmeg powder, and 2 tsp oats flour. Mix them very well until they form a scrub paste. Apply to your skin for 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
4. Nutmeg Essential Oil
The nut, e.g. essential oil benefits are known to all. It works very well in treating any form of pain.
Things you will need Nutmeg essential oil, any carrier oil.
Method Take an equal proportion of nutmeg oil and any other carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil, ekmore oil). Mix them well and apply over the inflamed area. Keep it overnight and use twice daily for best results.
- You must always make sure that you take small quantities of nutmeg powder. Nutmeg can be very poisonous in higher doses.
- If you experience nausea, pain, drowsiness or flushing, stop using nutmeg immediately and see a doctor.
Nutmeg is safe, and it is safe for people who are allergic to nuts too. People allergic to nuts don’t need to be allergic to nutmeg. Use this to make the fanciest dishes. You can also use it to treat ailments in your body by following the right dosage.
1. How Can I Use Nutmeg Oil for Skin?
Nutmeg essential oil works best for pain. However, if you were to use it for the skin, you must add some carrier oil like coconut and aloe-vera gel to it for best results.