Do you witness the benign growth of skin in some parts of your body? These skin outgrowths that are rapidly multiplying are nothing but warts. Are these troublesome? To an extent, yes. These skin growths are quite unsightly. Besides, these can be painful too. Warts disappear on their own, but that would take time.
Try the natural remedies for how to get rid of warts and accelerate their fading to get back to your usual confident self.
What is a wart?
Warts are rough outgrowths of skin. These may appear on any part of the body and may be hard or soft depending on the region they occur. They are non-cancerous but contagious which means they spread quite fast to the other body parts.
What are the different types of warts?
There are five different types of warts.
- Common warts: Common warts primarily appear on fingers and toes, but these can also grow on elbows, knees, knuckles and other parts of the body.
- Flat Warts: Flat warts have a flat surface which makes them almost invisible. These appear majorly on face, thighs, and arms.
- Plantar Warts: Warts on feet are known as plantar warts.
- Filiform Warts: Filiform warts look similar to skin tags. These might appear on neck, nose, eyelids, around the mouth or under the skin.
- Periungual Warts: Periungual warts grow under the nails of fingers and toes.
What causes warts?
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) is known to cause warts. HPV causes the skin protein Keratin to multiply which accelerates the production of skin cells. Thus, prompting an unusual growth of skin. The virus enters the skin surface from cuts and scratches and causes an infection which results in the formation of warts.
What are the symptoms of warts?
- Odd bumps on the skin
- Callus-like growth
- Pain if caused under feet
How to get rid of warts naturally?
The unusual skin growth is quite unsightly and embarrassing. It gets you unwanted attention and significantly affect your self-esteem. Further, the contagious nature of warts may worsen the situation. Thus, people with warts might end up isolating themselves, but that is no solution.
You need to get them treated as soon as possible. Warts do go on their own but if you want them to disappear sooner, then try the natural treatments mentioned below that can help in removing them.
1. Foods that can help you in getting rid of warts
How to remove common warts with Garlic?
Garlic is a natural kitchen ingredient, and an effective home remedy for the removal of facial warts and warts found on the other regions of the body. You can apply directly on the skin surface with warts that would eventually manifest(1).
How to use?
- First, wash the area with warts with mild soap and warm water
- Dab the area dry with a soft towel
- Take a clove of fresh garlic and crush it
- Apply the extract on the wart, or you can even rub the garlic juice on the wart
- Cover the area with a bandage or a duct tape
- Remove it the next morning and apply fresh garlic again
- Repeat the process for three to four weeks until the wart diminishes
Benefits of using Garlic
Garlic has strong antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties that can treat the wart and inhibit the virus which is known to cause warts. Thus, it aids in the quick removal of warts.
An important point to note is that the application of garlic may cause a rash in some people. Thus, before you start with the remedy, it is essential to do a skin test first. Rub some garlic on your arm. You might feel a burning sensation or a rash may develop. It is not much a cause of worry as the rash does not pose any threat.
In case you have a sensitivity to garlic then instead of keeping it on your wart overnight leave the garlic only for an hour.
How to get rid of warts using Onion?
Like garlic, onion can also help in the elimination of warts on fingers, toes, and knees. It is quite easy to use and can help in a natural cure for warts(2).
How to use?
- Wash the area affected by warts with soap and water
- Take a slice of onion and crush it
- Place it on the area which has skin outgrowth
- To keep the onion in place, cover it with a bandage or use duct tape
- Remove the onion the next morning
- Repeat the process using fresh onion as long as the wart does not clear
Benefits of using Onion
Onions are natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory which make them an excellent remedy for how to get rid of warts on feet, face and other regions.
How to cure warts with potato juice?
Warts especially anal warts and those found on the vagina are annoying. These can create a lot of trouble for you. Further, their contagious nature can be troublesome. Hence, try treating them on the very first sign of their appearance. If you are looking for a good home remedy to address them, then try using a potato(3).
How to use?
- Take fresh potatoes
- Squeeze the juice
- Apply the juice on the area
- Wash after ten to twenty minutes with warm water
- On the slightest symptoms of warts start using the potato remedy
- Be consistent with the treatment and warts will cure quickly
Benefits of using Potato
Studies have shown that potato contains antimicrobial properties that can help in treating warts.
Foods to Eat
The weak immune system is one of the primary causes of warts. To prevent warts you need to include foods that boost your immune system like:
- Fresh Fruits
- Whole Grains
Foods to avoid
- Processed foods
2. Herbal treatments to follow for curing warts
How to remove warts by using Dandelion?
Dandelion is much more than an unwanted annoying weed in your lawn. It is a herb and is known to have numerous benefits that can be quite helpful in treating various ailments including warts. Dandelion is an excellent option for those looking for how to treat warts.
How to use?
- Pick fresh Dandelion
- Cut the stem of the Dandelion and pour the sap of the plant on the wart
- Cover the wart with a duct tape
- Leave it for at least 24 hours and then remove the tape
- Wash the area
- Repeat the treatment as required
Benefits of using Dandelion
The anti-viral properties of Dandelion help fight the virus which is the cause of warts. The white, sticky resin that exudes from the stem and leaves of the plants can completely dissolve warts on a continuous application for some time.
You should avoid this remedy if you have allergy from pollens or flowers. Do a patch test before using it everywhere. Also, make sure you use a fresh dandelion while treating the wart with its sap.
How to get rid of warts using Green tea?
Green tea(4) is a powerful remedy against warts especially genital warts. The wondrous herb diminishes the bumps on the skin caused due to the HPV virus and clear warts easily.
How to use?
- Take green tea extract
- Add two to three drops of the extract in coconut oil
- Apply the mixture to the warts
- Wash it after ten to fifteen minutes
- Dip the green tea bag in hot water
- Let the green tea cool
- After that apply the mixture on the warts
- Repeat the process two to three times every day to see useful results
Benefits of using Green tea
Green Tea contains a high amount of antioxidants along with catechins. These catechins and antioxidants work to inhibit the growth of HPV virus that causes warts.
Always check for the expiry date of green tea bags before use. Also, in case of green tea extract, never use it in concentrated form as it may damage your skin. Use it after dilution.
3. Use Essential Oils to Treat Warts
How to remove warts using Tea tree Oil?
Tea Tree oil is one of the most popular remedies known to treat warts(5).
How to use?
- Mix two to three drops of tea tree oil in an equal amount of water
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in the mixture
- Apply the mixture using the cotton ball on the affected region
- No need to rinse off the mixture
- Do the process two times daily
Benefits of using Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-fungal which makes it an excellent choice for how to get rid of warts. It helps in reducing the outgrowth of the skin, thus eventually diminishing painful warts. Tea Tree Oil not only causes warts to fall-off but its healing properties help in quickly heal the surface so that there is no scar left behind.
Please note that tea tree oil in its concentrated form can harm your skin. Thus, you should always use it in diluted form. Also, you must do a skin patch test before to check your skin’s sensitivity to the oil.
How Does Frankincense oil help in the removal of warts?
Frankincense oil is an everyday essential oil popularly used as a home remedy. It can effectively treat several ailments including those annoying warts(6).
How to use?
- Take a cotton ball
- Pour two to three drops of the oil on the cotton ball
- Place the cotton ball directly on the warts
- To keep it in place, cover the region with a bandage
- Repeat the process two times a week until the wart disappears
Benefits of using Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil is effective against warts as it has antimicrobial and astringent properties that inhibit the virus and soothes the area with warts. Further, the healing properties of the oil accelerate the skin’s cure system.
Pregnant and nursing women should avoid using frankincense oil. Also, those who are taking medication for blood thinning must also avoid using the oil.
4. Home Remedies to get rid of Warts
How to treat warts with apple cider vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar is an effective remedy for those looking for how to get rid of warts. Hand warts and warts on toes can be easily treated using apple cider vinegar(7).
How to use?
- Make a solution using two parts of apple cider vinegar with one water
- Soak a cotton swab in the solution
- Apply it with the cotton swab on the warts
- You need to keep the cotton swab on the wart overnight
- Use Duct Tape to hold the cotton swab in place
- Next morning, remove the cotton swab
- Repeat the process for some time till the wart falls off
- Take equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water
- Mix them in a bucket
- Dip the area affected, in the solution for around 15 minutes
- Rinse it with water
- Repeat the process until warts fall off
Benefits of using Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic properties of Apple cider Vinegar help in killing viruses and bacteria. Also, the vinegar slowly burns and destroys the skin that has been infected, causing it to fall off. The acidic properties of apple cider vinegar irritate the skin, stimulating it to fight warts.
How to remove warts by using Banana Peel?
Banana is a nutritious fruit. You all know that. But do you know that the peel of the fruit is beneficial too? Yes, it is! And it is a perfect remedy for how to get rid of warts. Everything found in nature is useful, and that goes for banana peel also.
How to use?
- Cut a slice of Banana peel
- Place the peel on the wart such that its inner portion is in contact with the wart
- Put a duct tape around to keep the skin of the banana in place
- Let the peel work on the wart overnight
- Remove the tape and the banana peel the next morning and wash the area
- Repeat the process to clear warts
- Take the banana peel
- Rub it on the affected area
- Leave it for 15 minutes and after that, wash the area with water
- You can repeat the process this several times a day
Benefits of using Banana Peel
The Banana Peel contains numerous enzymes that work to break the membrane of cells thus destroying them. Further, it contains carotenoids that can synthesize Vitamin A that has anti-viral properties.
5. Natural Treatments for Removing Warts
How to use Epsom Salt bath for treating warts?
Vaginal warts can be quite uncomfortable and dangerous. Warts can grow on vagina as well as inside it. HPV virus has numerous strains of which some are known to affect the genital area. These strains can be sexually transmitted. Thus, vaginal warts and anal warts are a common infection in sexually active people.
How to use?
- Pour lukewarm water in a bath
- To it add two cups of Epsom Salt
- Soak in the bath for around 30 minutes
- After that pat, yourself dry
Benefits of Epsom salt bath
The vaginal warts are dangerous as there is some probability of these causing cancer in women. Thus, treat them as quickly as possible. Epsom salt bath is an excellent natural remedy for such warts. Besides rejuvenating you Epsom, salt bath helps in getting rid of warts symptoms. It soothes the skin and eases the itchiness.
How to prevent warts?
Warts are common in some people while some may not experience them in their lifetime. It may be possible due to certain lifestyle conditions. If you wish to prevent warts, then try some of the home remedies mentioned below:
- Strengthen your immune system
If your immune system is weak, then you are more prone to diseases caused due to microbes. Boost your immune system to fight the infections effectively. Add more of Vitamin C, turmeric and zinc in your diet to improve your immune system.
Follow proper hygiene
Maintaining good hygiene is essential to prevent the spread of warts. To avoid warts, follow the below-mentioned practices:
- Wash your hands if you come in contact with someone with warts or have accidentally touched your wart.
- Wear footwear in public places like community bathing areas, locker rooms, etc.
- Do not prick your wart.
- If you have a cut or broken skin, then cover it to prevent the entry of the virus.
- Biting nails may break the skin around the cuticles, thus avoid doing so.
- Keep your feet and hands dry.
Warts do not pose any danger and can go on their own. But the process is quite slow and may take a lot of time. Till then you cannot lock yourself in a room. They are unsightly, and one always wishes to get rid of them as soon as possible. Medical treatments are a choice too, but the natural remedies are much more effective and easy to employ. The article provides you with some easy ways for how to get rid of warts naturally.
These remedies inhibit the growth of the virus that causes warts. Thus, when you start using these remedies regularly, warts will start diminishing and eventually fall off. Once a wart appears on any part of the body, try not to prick it or cut it. It will not solve the issue, on the other hand, it may cause warts to spread. Instead, employ the remedies mentioned above that help accelerate the disappearance of the wart.