Mucus secretion is your body’s natural process to filter the foreign entities entering it. These thin linings are a normal part of your body and are highly beneficial in filtering out harmful substances, but at times these might create trouble for you.
The sticky mucus secretion forms phlegm to protect your respiratory system, but when you are sick or are exposed to too many particles, the phlegm gets too thick blocking the airway.
You might feel like something has got stuck in your throat. While there are no serious sequences of it but the mucus may act as a breeding ground for bacteria and other microbes.
Here are some natural remedies for how to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat that can help you clear the lump easily.
What is phlegm?
Phlegm is thick, sticky stuff that you notice hanging at the back of your throat when you are sick. While it is present in your respiratory tract always, it becomes more noticeable when you are ill, and this is because it gets thicker and harder by trapping more allergens and microbes that invade your body when you are sick.
Types of phlegm
The different colors of the mucus can indicate the kind of allergy or infection that you are suffering from. Following are the types that you must know:
- White or gray phlegm means sinus congestion or an infection in the upper respiratory tract
- Brown or black phlegm develops in people who smoke. It contains particulate matter found in cigarettes
- Dark Green Phlegm indicates a viral or bacterial infection or a sinus infection
- Pink phlegm indicates pulmonary edema, a condition wherein fluid accumulates in your lungs
- Bloody Phlegm or streaks of blood in your mucus indicate bronchitis. A significant amount of blood may hint towards fatal diseases like cancer, tuberculosis, etc.
How to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat naturally?
Phlegm is a part of your respiratory system that guards it against the invasion of foreign substances. However, at times it gets thicker and uncomfortable. If the phlegm in your throat is causing constant trouble and you wish to remove it, then here are some easy and quick remedies for how to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat.
1. Foods that may be of help
How to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat with ginger?
Your pantry is full of wondrous substances that can help treat various ailments. If you are looking for an effective way to remove excessive phlegm, then the best pick would be ginger. This wonderful spice can handle your trouble easily.
How to use?
- Take a small piece of ginger
- Peel it and chew it to get rid of phlegm
- Or you can add ginger to your food
Benefits of Ginger
Ginger acts as a natural decongestant and helps in clearing the excessive deposition of phlegm in the throat. Further, it has potent properties which make it highly effective in treating cold and flu that cause increased secretion of mucus.
Ginger is a warm spice, excessive consumption of it may upset your stomach. Hence you must eat it in moderation.
Foods to eat
Here are the foods that can reduce mucus production and have anti-inflammatory properties that keep your respiratory tract clear.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like salmon, flaxseeds, etc.
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Bell peppers
- Decaffeinated tea
- Clear broth soups
Foods to avoid:
Some foods are known to cause allergy and can increase mucus production. Hence you must limit their intake. These include:
- Processed meat
- Dried fruits
- Also, you should avoid spicy foods that cause acid reflux and give a feeling of phlegm stuck in the throat.
2. Herbal treatments for clearing phlegm in the throat
How to remove mucus in the throat with Echinacea?
Echinacea is a potent herb that can treat various viral and bacterial infection and ease the secretion of mucus in the throat. Thus, it is one of the best remedies for how to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat.
How to use?
- Add two teaspoons of Echinacea powder in a cup of boiling water
- Let it brew for about two to three minutes
- Strain the mixture
- Add in honey if you want to
Benefits of Echinacea
Echinacea boosts your immunity and helps you in fighting off various infections. Sipping in warm Echinacea tea loosens the phlegm in the throat and enables you to get rid of it quickly. It is a proven remedy for how to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat.
If you are on medications, then consult your doctor before using Echinacea remedy.
3. Essential oils for phlegm removal
How to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat with Eucalyptus essential oil?
Do you suffer from a persistent cough with phlegm? Have you tried Eucalyptus Essential oil? No? Well, then try it now. It is a fantastic home remedy for clearing up mucus in your throat. The essential oil is known to quickly cure a nagging cough and the feeling of discomfort in the throat.
How to use?
- Add in a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil in your diffuser
- Inhale the strong aroma of the oil that helps inclearing the phlegm
Benefits of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil helps in easing out the discomfort caused due to excessive phlegm deposition in the throat. The constant feeling of a lump in the throat you to cough. However, if the phlegm is hard, it won’t come out that easily. Here eucalyptus oil can be beneficial for you as it loosens up the mucus and helps you get rid of it by coughing up.
Like other essential oils, Eucalyptus essential oil is highly potent. You must use it in a small amount at the beginning to know your tolerance towards it.
4. Home remedies for removing phlegm stuck in the throat
How to clear mucus with honey and lemon drink?
Honey and lemon both have therapeutic properties which make them a wondrous remedy for how to cure throat irritation and constant phlegm in throat. Those looking for an easy home remedy for how to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat must try this miraculous honey and lemon drink that can provide visible results.
How to use?
- Combine some honey with freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add the mixture to a cup of warm water
- Consume the drink to clear phlegm stuck in thethroat
Benefits of honey and lemon drink
The honey and lemon drink has potent antibacterial properties that make it highly effective in treating infections. Further, its therapeutic nature helps in resolving the phlegm trouble. It also soothes your irritated throat and promotes the regeneration of the damaged lining of it due to persistent coughing.
Use raw, unprocessed honey for better results.
5. Natural treatments for phlegm removal
How to clear throat by coughing up phlegm?
There is a nagging urge to cough with phlegm stuck in the throat. But most of the people hold on the cough to avoid embarrassment. However, one must know that it is the easiest way to remove phlegm stuck in the throat.
How to do?
- Keep a tissue over your mouth
- Try to cough forcefully to get rid of phlegm
Benefits of coughing
Coughing is your body’s natural mechanism to keep the respiratory tract clear. Hence, if you end up coughing up white phlegm then do not feel embarrassed. If the mucus in your throat hasn’t hardened much and is loose, then you can get rid of it quickly by coughing.
Do not cough too forcefully as it may damage your throat.
How to remove phlegm from throat with salt water?
Gargling with salt water is one of the most effective natural ways for removing phlegm. It is an easy remedy for how to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat.
How to use?
- Add half a teaspoon of salt to a cup of the foreign
- Take a sip of the mixture and bend your body and backward so that the mixture flushes your throat. Do not gulp it down
- Gargle for about sixty seconds and after that spit out the mixture
- Repeat till the solution in the cup finishes
Benefits of salt water
Salt water is antimicrobial and helps kill the germs and microbes present in your mouth. Further, it also helps in soothing the sore throat. Gargling helps in loosening the phlegm that comes out easily when you spit out the water.
You must not gulp down the saltwater after swishing body and as it may contain phlegm. So, these were some of the natural remedies for how to get rid of phlegm stuck in throat.
These are highly effective in loosening the thick mucus that may result in times these cough and other discomforts. At times one may experience phlegm after eating which is to protect acid reflux that may make you feel like there is a lump in your throat. Too many it refrains from foods that may cause heartburn.
If phlegm is creating a problem for you and coughing is not much of help, then employ the remedies mentioned above. These are highly effective in clearing the thick phlegm in your throat.