Imagine you have your fresher’s party, but for all the wrong reasons and ill fate, a cold virus strikes you. Your runny nose and cough will throw cold water on preparations you have been making for the past few months. In frustration, you break the keypad of your laptop searching a perfect remedy for your runny nose and sneezing, but you end up getting even more confused.
If this is your case, then you can heave a sigh of relief. This article is here to clear all your doubts concerning a runny nose. It will enlighten you on how to stop a runny nose with some of the best home remedies and natural treatments.
Natural Treatments to Stop Runny Nose
What is a runny nose?
Before proceeding to acquaint yourself with the methods on how to stop a runny nose, you should know what a runny nose is. A runny nose is the excessive secretion of a fluid by the nasal tissues and some adjacent tissues and blood vessels in the nose.
Your tiny nose consists of several tissues and vessels which allow the proper functioning of the nose. Sometimes, these thin tissues and blood vessels cause excess drainage which we mostly refer to as a runny nose.
Medical terms for a runny nose include rhinorrhea and rhinitis. However, the two conditions differ in their texture and composition. Rhinorrhea, on the one hand, refers to the thin and clear discharge whereas rhinitis refers to an inflammation of the nasal tissues.
Allergic rhinitis symptoms include itchy eyes, runny nose, and sneezing. A runny nose is a mild condition, and with the help of several home, remedies can vanish away within some days. Awareness on how to stop a runny nose is indispensable to you if you are suffering from the irritating runny nose condition.
What causes a runny nose?
There are many causes of a runny nose. Some of them include:
- Sinus infection
- Common cold
- Occupational asthma
- Dry air
- Drug addiction
- Decongestant nasal spray overuse
- Non-allergic rhinitis
- Tobacco smoke
- Spinal fluid leak
Runny Nose Symptoms
- Excess mucus production
- Difficulty in breathing
- A headache
- Facial pain
- Itchy watery eyes and runny nose
- Loss of smell
- Wheezing and cough
- Chronic ear infections
- Nasal congestion
How to stop a runny nose by using some of the best natural remedies?
Your body has a strong immune system which protects itself from various diseases by acting upon them timely. With the help of the inbuilt natural immunity system, you can easily avoid many problems by responding to the visible symptoms of these diseases.
Our ecosystem provides you with several foods and herbs which work magically on your ill health. These are easily accessible from nature and show instant results on your ailing body part. If you are thinking about how to stop a runny nose, then this article will equip you with useful knowledge on how to stop a runny nose using natural and home remedies.
How to stop a runny nose by adding these magical foods to your diet?
Your food does more than just providing you energy. It also protects you from the attack of several germs and viruses. Certain foods have some powerful properties that support your body and prevent you from falling ill frequently. Eat these foods and lay your thoughts aside on how to stop a runny nose.
Grannies suggest hot and steaming chicken soup when you ask them how to stop a runny nose. Chicken soup is one of the best remedies for treating the common cold which is a common cause of a runny nose. It is a storehouse of many vital vitamins, minerals, and protein which your body needs to fight viruses and bacteria.
It works wonders for nasal mucus. For all the non-vegetarian lovers, chicken soup is a blessing. You can enjoy this delicious soup with a crunchy toast. But before relishing its taste, you should take a deep breath and smell the enchanting aroma of the soup.
Garlic proves to be useful in dealing with many types of health problems. It is full of antibacterial and antiviral properties which help to keep away the flu causing viruses from your body.
You can consume it by chewing after roasting it on flame, or you can also grate or slice it in your curry. By doing so, you will not only enhance the taste of your food but will also benefit your body. This tip on how to stop a runny nose is passed down from generations to generations.
Tea is everybody’s favorite beverage. This hot cup of happiness not only brings a smile on the face of a tired person but also helps to improve your health. A hot cup of tea helps to clear mucus and also relieves a runny nose and sore throat.
Papaya is rich in Vitamin C which provides strength to the immune system of the body. It also turns out to be beneficial in getting relief from a constant runny nose. Cut soft papaya into small pieces. Add a few drops of lemon on them. Sprinkle saltand enjoy the taste of this beneficial fruit. Including papaya in your diet is one of the best remedies on how to stop a runny nose.
Honey is rich in antibacterial effects and so can keep infectious bacteria away from your body. You can add honey to lukewarm water or warm milk to keep a runny nose at bay. Now, you got to know how to stop a runny nose from becoming chronic by using honey. Honey also helps to achieve your ideal body weight. So add honey to your diet by replacing it with sugar and be healthy and slim.
Blueberries are a rich source of antioxidants which enhance the immunity system of the body. Add a few blueberries to your breakfast and get rid of a runny nose.
Onion has strong properties which work against flu. Flu is a common cause of fever, cough, runny nose,etc. You can eat onion by adding it in your curry and gravy, or you can eat it raw in a salad.
Certain herbs will help you get instant relief from runny nose and sneezing. Some of the tips on how to stop a runny nose using herbs are as follows:
How to cure a runny nose with essential oils?
This magical herb contains glycyrrhizin, which hoards elements that break down excess mucus in your nose. The proper administration of this root reduces the duration of your runny nose allowing you to enjoy your life again. Enjoy a sip of licorice tea and get relief fromyour chronic runny nose.
Hard to access, the stinging nettle is one of the most effective herbal treatments for treating rhinitis. How to stop a runny nose using stinging nettle can be a concern for many. Don’t worry!!! Here is your solution. You can boil the leaves of the plant which will remove the stinging effects. Add these cooked leaves to your salads or soups and enjoy a healthy treat.
Peppermint shows anti-inflammatory effects and works wonder to eradicate the symptoms of a runny nose. Have a sip of peppermint tea or chew the leaves of the plant for a quick recovery.
Chamomile helps to treat the symptoms of common cold and flu including a runny nose, cough, and sore throat, etc. Make a strong cup of chamomile tea and treat yourself with a refreshing experience.
How to cure a runny nose with essential oils?
Essential oils work like a miracle in curing a runny nose. They are easy to use and usually do not have any side effects on the human body. A few essential oils for a runny nose include:
This oil is rich in antiviral and antimicrobial properties which allow it to act as a well-known remedy for a runny nose.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender is one of the most famous essential oils owing to its vast range of positive effects on the human body. It works wonder in case of any allergybeing the cause of a runny nose. Its anti-inflammatory properties help you to get rid of that fluid coming out from your nose and feel no more embarrassment.
Mixture of sandalwood, frankincense, and ravensara oil
If you are curious to know how to stop a runny nose using essential oils, then opt for this perfect blend of sandalwood, frankincense, and ravensara oils. This concoction helps to treat allergic rhinitis which leads to runny nose, sneezing and blocked nasal passages.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil’s anti-inflammatory properties act as a reliable remedy to a runny nose which is sure to bother you for a long time if left untreated.
Avoiding or getting relief from this allergy can make you get rid of a runny nose as well. Use peppermint oil to treat your problem as it has anti-inflammatory effects and protects the body against all types of allergies.
To dry up runny nose, you can try these oils.
How to stop a runny nose with essential oil recipes?
Recipe 1: Inhaler
- Two drops of eucalyptus oil
- Two drops of camphor oil
- One drop of peppermint oil
- Cotton oil
- Small glass bottle
- Soak the cotton ball with the essential oils
- You can also stuff the cotton ball into the bottle before soaking it
- Close the cap of the bottle tightly, so that the vapors can collide well inside the bottle
- Keep it in your pocket and inhale it whenever things get runny in your nose
Recipe 2- Massage Blend
- Five drops of niaouli oil
- Four drops of camphor oil
- Three drops of eucalyptus oil
- Two drops of lemon oil
- One ounce of jojoba carrier oil
- Mix all the essential oils in a non-reactive bowl
- Apply this mixture on your fist and rub it
- Now inhale this solution strongly so that oils can treat your problem of a runny nose
Recipe 3- For Infant Runny Nose
- One drop of peppermint oil
- One drop of sweet oregano oil
- One tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all the essential oils in the definite quantity to form a mixture
- Take a small quantity of this mixture in your hands and rub it on your fists
- If the baby is suffering from chronic rhinorrhea, then apply this oil mixture on the chest and back of the child
- In case of a mild case, use the oil mixture on the foot of the child
The above recipes will help you greatly in alleviating your concerns on how to stop a runny nose.
Precautions to follow while using essential oils
You have learned how to stop a runny nose using essential oils, but just like any other medicine, essential oils also come with specific precautions. One should follow all these measures while using essential oils to avoid any side-effects on the body. Some of the precautions to follow include:
- Never apply an essential oil directly to your skin. First, dilute it with a carrier oil and then use it on your body
- Don’t ingest the essential oils especially the tea tree essential oil
- If you are using these oils for the first time, then go for the patch test. Apply a small portion of the oil on your forearm before applying it on the major body parts like your face
- If you are allergy-prone, then consult a doctor before using any of the essential oils on your skin.Pregnant women should be very cautious while using these oils as there can be severe allergic reactions on their body or the children. So, it is advisable to consult your doctor before using them
- Keep them at a safe distance from kids and pets
How to stop a runny nose using home treatment?
Home remedies work exceptionally well in curing a runny nose. If you are concerned about how to stop a runny nose, then these home remedies are here to rescue you.
- Inhaling hot steam can prove to be a perfect home remedy to a runny nose. You can try facial steam by following the given steps:
- Take four cups of water in a clean pan
- Put this pan on flame
- Heat it till you find steam coming out of the vessel
- Remove the pan from the fire
- Keep it on a table
- Drink a lot of fluids including hot tea
- Place your face above the steam, so that you can inhale the fumes
- Carry on with this process for 20-30 minutes
- Blow your nose to get rid of mucus
- Take a hot shower. This process will alleviate your runny nose. A hot bath also gives your body a sense of relief and satisfaction, and you feel refreshed
- Use a Neti Pot for nasal irrigation. Add some warm saltwater solution to the pot. Pour the solution through one nostril and allow it to drain out from the other one
- Eat capsaicin. It is the chemical that makes chili peppers spicy. It proves to be very useful in giving you relief from your runny nose
- Make sure that you are using 100 percent pure essential oils of trusted dealers
Precautions and side-effects
Natural remedies turn out to be highly effective in making you fight off your runny nose. However, there are specific preventive measures which will help you fight the side-effects of these remedies:
- Natural remedies do not harm the body in any case and are suitable for all aged people. But if they happen to show any side-effect or allergic reaction on your body, stop their use immediately
- Be sure that you are using 100 percent pure ingredients for natural treatments
- Consult a doctor if reactions continue to persist for a long time
- Be very particular about the quantity of these home and natural remedies as these remedies involve a limited intake of herbs and supplements
- While using certain foods, be sure that you are not allergic to them
Some conventional ways to treat a runny nose
There are some more popular ‘how to stop a runny nose’ remedies. You can try these traditional ways and get a quick recovery from your runny nose.
- It is advisable to stay away from allergens
- While venturing out of your house, make sure to cover your nose and throat with a scarf so that your allergy doesn’t worsen
- Use a humidifier as a dry environment can trigger a runny nose
- Drink at least ten gallons of water everyday
- Keep your health in-check by enjoying the taste of a healthy and balanced diet
A runny nose is a common problem which often leads you to an embarrassing situation. It spoils your party mood or a romantic date night or even a movie date with your friends. Moreover, it forces you to isolate yourself in your room as you feel irritated most of the times cleaning that slimy liquid oozing out of your nose. Nobody likes it, but you have to face it at some point in life.
Don’t feel disheartened if you also suffer from a similar situation. This article enriches you on how to stop a runny nose with natural ways. Incorporate any of the mentioned methods and get back to your normal ‘dry-nose’life.