Coughing is your body’s response to irritants in the airways and throat. The muscles of the diaphragm try to expel the irritation by contracting. That is why coughing is beneficial for the body as it is the body’s natural mechanism to expel the mucus out.
Accumulation of mucus in large quantities causes incessant cough which is very uncomfortable for the person affected as it makes sleeping difficult, particularly at night. It also disrupts work and other functions during the day.
If an instant relief is what you look for, there are various home remedies which are good cough suppressants. But the best remedy is a concoction of Honey and Lemon.
Given below are the benefits of honey and lemon and how you can use them at home to get rid of cough.
[Also Read: Treat Cough Naturally]
Why Honey for Cough
Honey has antibacterial properties that help in fighting and getting rid of bacteria causing cough(1)
Honey is loaded with vital nutrients such as potassium. It also contains calcium, manganese, phosphorus, and copper. All these vitamins provide the necessary minerals needed for normal and healthy functioning of the body. The existence of such nutrients in honey helps stimulate and repair tissue growth. These nutrients also serve as antioxidants and eliminate the harmful free radicals from the body.
Why Lemon for Cough
- Lemons are very commonly available citrus fruits that are rich in vitamin C. A glass of lemon juice provides one-third of the daily recommended dosage of this vitamin.
- Vitamin C is known to help the body in building the immune system. The antioxidants present in it, assist in repairing and preventing cell damage (2).
- Lemons have strong antiviral and antibacterial properties.
Given below are some of the recipes that can be easily prepared at home to get rid of cough.
[Also Read: 11 Home Remedies to Cure Cough]
Honey and lemon juice for cough
- 1 cup of organic honey
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup warm distilled water
- A small bowl to mix the above
- Add 1 cup honey into a bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to it.
- Add ¼ cup of warm water.
- Mix well till all the ingredients blend well.
You can take one tablespoon of this mixture, two times a day for cough once during the day, and once before going to bed for undisturbed sleep.
This mixture can be stored in a refrigerator and used for a month.
Ginger with Honey & Lemon
Ginger in combination with honey and lemon helps to get rid of a chronic cough. It contains antioxidants and a special cough suppressant called oleoresin which gets rid of cough almost instantly. (3).
- 2 cups distilled water
- A saucepan
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ginger root
- Take a saucepan and add two cups of water into it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ginger root to it.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to it.
- Boil the mixture.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Strain and transfer the solution to a glass.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and stir well till it dissolves completely.
Drink this concoction once daily till your cough subsides.
Garlic with Honey & Lemon
The combination of lemon juice and honey with garlic works best for treating congestion in the chest. Garlic breaks down the phlegm that causes congestion and helps to clear the chest, making breathing easier(4).
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- A saucepan
- 1/2 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 cup of water
- Take a saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to it.
- Add ½ spoon of grated garlic into it.
- Add 1 cup of water and boil the mixture.
- Transfer this mixture into a cup.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and stir well till it dissolves completely.
Drink this mixture once daily for instant relief from cough and chest congestion.
Coconut Oil with Honey & Lemon
Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants, antiviral and antibacterial substances. It also provides immunity to the body (5). It decreases the length and severity of illness.
[Also Read: Health Benefits of Coconut Oil]
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- A sauce pan
- Add two tablespoons of coconut oil into a saucepan.
- Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to it.
- Add ¼ a cup of honey.
- Heat the mixture just below boiling point.
- Turn off the heat.
- Transfer this solution into a clean container.
Take one tablespoon of this concoction twice daily till the symptoms of your cough subside.
You have to reheat this mixture before every dosage as the coconut oil hardens quickly.
Who Can Use These Recipes?
The above-mentioned concoctions of Honey and Lemon with other ingredients can be given to babies but only after consulting a doctor.
Teenagers & Adults
Adults and teenagers can use all the recipes mentioned above. They do not have any side effects and are safe to use.
All the above recipes can be used by pregnant women. They can take these either in the form of liquids or popsicles. This will benefit both the mother and the child and keep them away from viral infections.
Honey and lemon are very safe. Elders can take it as they help in boosting the immune system and fight against infections. They are natural ways to subside a cough and clear chest congestion.
All the recipes mentioned above are very effective in treating a cough. They have antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant properties, which not only help get rid of cough but also boost the immune system. They provide you almost an instant relief.