Neuropathy is a condition where the body experiences tremendous pain due to the damage in the nerves. According to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Neuropathy can lead to spinal cord injury, sclerosis, and many other disorders. Neuropathy is associated with numbness, pain, anxiety, depression, and sleep disorders. Taking drugs prescribed by doctors is the general way of treating Neuropathy.
According to Work Wellness and Disability Prevention Institute, 30 – 40% of the neuropathy cases are idiopathic, i.e., cause of the Neuropathy is not determined. Additional 30% of the cases are mostly are a result of diabetes. Generally, Neuropathy or neuropathic pain affects people of all age groups but, mainly occurs in 7 – 10% of the adults above the age of 30.
Supplements are one of the best home remedies to treat neuropathy as they have fewer side effects compared to other treatments. You can try out these effective supplements for Neuropathy that will relieve and comfort you from its symptoms.
Supplements for Neuropathy That Truly Works
Acetyl-L- carnitine is a combination of antioxidants and amino acids that help produce healthy nerve cells in the body. It eventually raises the energy level of the body by stimulating the immune system and thus reduces pain and numbness in people suffering from Neuropathy and have similar symptoms.
- Acetyl-L-carnitine is available in various forms of supplements. Kindly go through the directions written on the label before intake.
- You can also consume it through food items rich in acetyl-L-carnitine, that are:
- Poultry products
- Dairy products
A standard dosage for this supplement is 500 milligrams (mg) per day. Studies indicate that acetyl-L-carnitine is one of the best supplements for Neuropathy that improves cancer-associated fatigue, chemotherapy-induced peripheral sensory Neuropathy, and other physical conditions.
[Read: Treat Neuropathy Naturally]
2. Alpha Lipoic Acid
Alpha-lipoic acid(1) is a perfect aid for Neuropathy caused by cancer or diabetes. The antioxidant properties in alpha-lipoic acid lower the blood sugar levels in the body, improve the functionality of the nerves and relieve you from uncomfortable pain, itching, tingling, numbness, prickling, burning and other symptoms of Neuropathy with ease.
- Alpha-lipoic acid is available in the form of supplements, and you can avail them online or in the nearest pharmaceutical center.
- You can also consume food products that are rich in alpha-lipoic acid. Food products include:
- Red meat
- Brussels sprouts
- Brewer’s yeast
You can consume nearly 600 to 1200 milligram (mg) per day when it comes to taking supplements. You can add the above food products into your regular diet to combat Neuropathy. According to studies, alpha-lipoic acid is one of the effective supplements for Peripheral Neuropathy that protects against oxidative damages caused due to Diabetic Neuropathy.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Treating Neuropathy
3. Vitamin B
Vitamin B deficiency is one of the leading causes of peripheral Neuropathy. Thus consumption of vitamin B for Neuropathy can help stimulate the functionality of the nervous system. Vitamin B-1, also known as thiamine, reduces inflammation, cellular damage, and pain. Vitamin B-6 helps in developing strong nerve endings
- Range of vitamin B supplements (vitamin B-1, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12), and you should take them all separately rather than taking B complex.
- You can consume vitamins usually through regular food meals. Few ingredients rich in vitamin B include:
- Poultry products
- Low-fat dairy products
- Fortified cereals
200-300 milligram (mg) is the maximum dosage that you can consume when it comes to vitamin supplements for Neuropathy. Excessive intake might lead to severe nerve damage and can make the symptoms of Neuropathy even worse. Proper vitamin intake in regular meals comes with various health and beauty benefits.
[Read: Vitamins for Neuropathy]
4. N-Acetyl Cysteine
N-Acetyl cysteine(2) is also a combination of antioxidants and amino acids which improves the damages in the nerve. It helps treat conditions related to inflammation and neuropathic pain. It is naturally present in protein-rich foods. According to a study conducted in 2010, N-acetyl cysteine is remarkably successful in treating diabetic Neuropathy.
- You can either consume it through food items that are rich in N-acetyl cysteine.
- Or you can consume it through supplements available in the pharmacy. You can follow the directions on the label of the supplements before consumption.
The ideal consumption per day ranges from about 1200 – 1300 milligrams (mg). N-Acetyl cysteine is one of the perfect supplements for diabetic Neuropathy that combats the symptoms effectively.
5. Fish Oil
The anti-inflammatory properties of fish oil help tackle Neuropathy by alleviating the damages caused in the nerves. Fish oil can relieve pain and soreness in the muscles. Studies indicate that fish oil can slow the progression of diabetic Neuropathy and reserve it. It also stimulates the outgrowth of neurons.
- You can intake fish oil in the form of supplements.
- However, fish oil can also occur in the form of food products. Below mentioned foods are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds
- Canola oil
- Cod liver oil
Doctors recommend around 2400 to 2500 milligrams (mg) of supplement intake. Fish oil and is one of the best supplements for Neuropathy that can help reduce pain and discomfort.
[Also Read: CBD Oil For Treating Peripheral Neuropathy]
Curcumin is a form of herb that contains anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antioxidant properties. It helps get rid of weakness, tingling, and numbness tingling in your hands and feet. According to an animal study, curcumin is a perfect aid for chemotherapy-induced Neuropathy in mice. Curcumin is one of the natural supplements for Neuropathy.
- You can intake it in the form of supplements.
- Consume curcumin by taking one teaspoon of turmeric along with a quarter teaspoon of ground pepper.
- You can use fresh turmeric in tea, eggs, curries, salad, and other regular dishes.
Ideally, you consume the supplement according to the prescriptions written on the back of the product. If you are consuming natural remedies at home, you can take them at least thrice a day regularly.
Neuropathy is a severe condition of nerve damage and inflammation that requires medical assistance. Follow a proper diet, keep track with blood sugar level, diabetes, and other medical problems to rid from Neuropathy. Prescriptions of drugs such as antidepressants, pain medications, pain-relieving creams, and anti-seizure medicines are general ways of fighting Neuropathy.
However, taking supplements for Neuropathy under a doctor’s supervision will help you heal better as they have very fewer side effects. Practicing a healthy diet along with these supplements can make a world of difference in recovery. Say goodbye to pain, numbness, and weakness, try these supplements today!
1. What Are the Types of Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is caused due to many underlying causes and is classified based on the same. There are mainly four classifications:
- Peripheral Neuropathy ( mainly caused due to diabetes and nerve pain), it is also known as distal polyneuropathy.
- Proximal Neuropathy, it is also known as diabetic amyotrophy.
- Autonomic Neuropathy, it mainly occurs due to nerve damage.
- Focal Neuropathy, it is also known as mononeuropathy.
2. What Are the Other Treatment Options for Neuropathy?
There are N-number of treatments available for Neuropathy. You can treat yourself at home along with taking those medications or supplements by following the quick aids mentioned below.
- Consume cayenne pepper.
- Quit smoking.
- Soak your body in lukewarm bathing water regularly.
- Meditation can bring a lot of changes, physically and mentally.