Cradle cap is also called Crusta Lacteal, Honeycomb Disease, Milk Crust, Pityriasis Capitis, and Infantile Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. The exact cause of cradle cap(1) is not known, and it appears basically in infants of 3 months, and when noticeable in older children, it is known as dandruff.
It is a greasy, yellowish scaly rash that appears in patches on the scalp of infants. It is generally not harmful, but if not addressed, it can increase and cause a lot many problems for babies. To treat this use coconut oil for cradle crap.
- This condition is most prevalent in babies of 2 weeks to 12 months of age group.
- It is believed to affect 10 percent of infants up to the ages of 1 month, and the prevalence of this condition is at its peak at 70 percent during the first three months of age. It usually appears on the forehead, face, behind the ears, diaper area, armpit, and other skin folds.
Why to Use Coconut Oil For Cradle Cap
Coconut oil(2) is considered one of the most natural oils and is considered safe for baby massage. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of the oil protect the baby from infections. Its anti-inflammatory effect helps decrease pain and swelling on the skin. Above all, it is widely used due to its gentle and soothing properties.
Apart from massage oil, it is useful for babies in dealing with diaper rash, eczema, oral thrush, acne, head lice, wounds, burns, teething pain, and removing meconium in baby bowel. Coconut oil has certain fatty acids and hence is even included in baby food.
How to use?
coconut oil is a magic oil for babies during their initial growth stage. It is a gentle oil with numerous curative effects, is a perfect home remedy for cradle cap in babies.and to use it you need to gently massage the baby’s scalp with coconut oil 10-15 minutes before the baby’s bath. Use a soft comb and lightly use it to remove the moistened flakes. Later, wash the baby’s hair to wash the oil off from it.
1. Coconut Oil + Tea Tree Oil
Prepare a 1: 10 mix of tea tree oil and coconut oil for cradle cap in babies. Apply the mixture of tea tree and coconut oil on the affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes and gently use a soft comb to remove the flakes. Wash the baby’s hair after a few minutes.
2. Coconut Oil + Baking Soda
Prepare a paste of baking soda and coconut oil for cradle cap. Apply this mix carefully to the baby’s affected area. Wait for 15-20 minutes and softly remove the scales with a tender comb. Follow it up by washing the baby’s head after a few minutes.
You could use coconut oil to remove moistened scales by combing every two days until the cradle cap goes away. Use tea tree oil and coconut oil for cradle cap in the ratio of 1:10. Always use pure, virgin, or organic coconut oil. Experts recommend using a minimal amount of oil, say you should apply just a couple of drops on the scales.
[Read: Hair Fall in Babies]
Coconut oil is a mild oil with generally no side effects. However, when it comes to your little one, you should be extra careful. You should take some precautions while using coconut oil for cradle cap in babies:
- Always use pure, virgin, or organic coconut oil, which are free from chemicals.
- In sporadic cases, coconut oil might cause allergies. So, you should apply to a smaller area and check for allergies.
- Be careful while using any mix or paste on your baby. Take precautions that it does not come in contact with the baby’s eyes, mouth, ears, or nose.
- Get in touch with a doctor if you do not see any improvement or notice something alarming.
It is a condition found in infants of 3 months. It occurs due to some common skin issues called seborrheic dermatitis, which makes skin rough and flaky on the scalp. It does not cause harm to the baby but should be treated on time, so that we do not worsen the condition.
Use of natural oil, brushing the scalp, applying shampoo can reduce and cure the situation within a few weeks if handled correctly. It is immensely beneficial to use coconut oil for cradle caps as one of the natural home remedies.
[Read: Pacifier Rash in Babies]
1. Does Hair Fall Take Place During a Cradle Cap?
Temporary hair fall doesn’t take place.
2. in How Much Time Does Cradle Cap Go Away?
Typically cradle cap condition goes within a week, whereas in some cases, it lasts for few months or till 12 months.
3. What Are Home Remedies Used for Treating Cradle Cap?
Few home remedies for treating cradle cap are:
- Avocado oil
- Shea butter
- Vegetable oil
- Tea tree oil
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Coconut oil for cradle cap