Did You Know
|Did you know that diabetes can cause pain that imitates sciatica?
Sciatica doesn’t always need medical intervention but just some home remedies?
It is a common myth that hip joint pain or other related painful problems always require medical intervention. When, in fact, multiple home remedies can quickly relieve your pain. Exercise is one of them. It restores muscle tone, strength, and flexibility. Exercise also enhances the production of mitochondria (the energy centers for the cell. This increase improves the oxygenation of myocytes and chondrocytes relieving any type of ischemia or dead cell mass — this aids in the restoration of the sciatic nerve functions relieving the pain of sciatica(1). Exercise for hip pain can also help strengthen your hip muscles to avoid pain in the future.
It helps release endorphins that are chemicals acting as the natural painkillers of the body. They do not let the pain signals reach your brain receptors, thus alleviate chronic pain symptoms (2).
How can exercise help in treating pain?
Exercise can help you untie all the body knows that you have been trying to undo for years. It replenishes your body cells and increases your joint mobility. It increases your threshold for pain so you can bear higher degrees of pain quite easily.
[ Also Read: How to Relieve Hip Pain]
One of the exercises recommended by physiotherapists. it is a typical yoga pose with multiple types. The basic form is the reclining pigeon pose.
- Bring your right leg up to a right angle.
- Clasp both your hands behind your thigh and lift your left leg while placing your right ankle on your left knee.
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Repeat it on the other side.
- Once you are comfortable doing this one, you can move to rather complicated versions of it.
- This exercise will help stretch the piriformis muscle causing sciatic pain.
2. Knee to the Opposite Shoulder.
Another great stretching exercise can be knee to the opposite shoulder. It helps loosen your gluten muscles.
- Lie down on your back with legs stretched and feet flexed upward.
- clasp your hands around the knee after bending your right leg.
- Bring your right leg towards your left shoulder and stay like that for 30 seconds.
- Push your knee making the leg return to its normal position.
[ Read: Hip Dips Exercise ]
3. Hip Flexor Stretch
Hip flexor stretch can be a beneficial exercise when it comes to hip pain.
- Get into a lunge position.
- Put your hands on your hips, move your pelvis slightly forward until a stretch is felt in your left hip muscles.
- If you feel tension, just hold it there and go further into the stretch only when it becomes looser.
You can also do the figure four stretch.
- Lie on your back, bend your legs and feet on the ground.
- Place your left ankle on your right knee.
- Clasp your hands behind your left leg.
- and draw it towards your chest.
- You will be able to feel a stretching force in your glutes and hips.
Exercise is one of the best at-home remedies for hip pain. It increases the strength, tone, and flexibly of muscle cells. It also aids in increasing the blood supply to your muscle cells. So, the right kind of exercise can relieve most types of myalgias. But if you start working out with proper guidance and selecting the correct type of exercise. This exercise will lead to increased muscle soreness, creating a lot of discomfort for you. These exercises can make you a bedridden patient for life. So, a consultation with your physiotherapist is a must before starting any at-home remedy for your pain issues.
[Also Read: Yoga for Hip Pain Relief]
The exercises that you need to avoid are
1. Deep squats
Deep squats are sure good for your body’s posture, but they can make your lower body problems worse.
2. Leg presses
It causes hip compression and increases the shortening of the hip flexors. This compression can exacerbate your hip issues
3. Kettlebell swing
It comprises of ballistic moves where the body moves forcefully to rapidly move a weight from the ground or into the air. This step can be extremely dangerous for people with lower back problems.
[Read: Exercises for Pain Relief]
Exercise is beneficial when it comes to pain in the buttock region. Working out increases your threshold for pain and blocks the pain pathways leading to the brain by increasing the production of endorphins. Exercises like stretching, leg raises, leg swings, etc. are very helpful in relieving chronic painful conditions. However, some exercises, including rapid hip movements and compression, can be utterly hazardous to your health. So, you must ask your doctor before taking any step towards healing.
1. What Are the Best Exercises for Sciatica Pain in the Hip?
Exercises that enhance the mobility and blood flow to your muscles are the best for sciatica. Exercise, like sitting pigeon pose, reclining pigeon pose, knee to the opposite shoulder, can aid you to get rid of the pain.
2. How Effective Are Stretching Exercises for Hip Pain?
Stretching exercises can work miracles for your hip pain if selected and done correctly. These include lunges, the figure four stretch, reclining pose, etc.
3. Is It Useful to Do Exercises for Hip Bursitis Pain?
Yes, exercise can prove very helpful in treating trochanteric bursitis. Gluteal stretch and band strengthening exercises are the most effective ones.