Your body stands on your legs all day. Legs do a great deal of work for us. In fact, legs succumb to more physical activity than any other part of the body next to hands. You must also have experienced pain in your legs after a hard day many a time. Sometimes, this pain is experienced every day on a constant basis(1). The pain is also associated with jiggling, pulling and twitching sensation and you become so restless that you want to get relieved of it immediately. This is called RLS or Restless Legs Syndrome.
This can be caused due to hereditary reasons or due to some brain disease. Children also fall prey to RLS when they are very young. Essential oils for leg pain is an incredible remedy which can be opted at home or at workplace.
There are two types of RLS.
- Primary RLS: This disorder is neurological and is a restless legs syndrome in children commonly. It develops slowly and is accompanied by symptoms including restless legs pain.
- Secondary RLS: This disorder is chronic and is caused due to other health issues such as anemia, Parkinson’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, hyperactivity, and much more.
There are several factors that cause restless legs. Some factors include:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Restless legs pregnancy
- Autoimmune disease
- Gut dysfunction
- Low cortisol
What Essential Oils are Good for Restless Legs?
There are several essential oils recipe for restless legs. Some of the oil that can great, effective, and can be used in various methods include:
1. Marjoram essential oil
Why one should use marjoram essential oil for restless legs?
The marjoram essential oil is used for cooking purposes. However, it can be used to cure several conditions such as insomnia and restless leg syndrome as well. It has analgesic and antispasmodic properties. This provides relief to muscle and joints.
How to use marjoram essential oil for restless legs?
- Take few drops of oil and mix with other carrier oils
- Gently massage around your feet.
2. Peppermint essential oil
Why one should use peppermint essential oil for restless legs?
Peppermint oil has various properties that cure the condition of restless legs. Apart from having cooling and soothing properties it has antispasmodic properties that relieve muscle pains.
How to use peppermint essential oil for restless legs?
- Take a few drops of the oil and rub around your feet.
3. Lavender essential oil
Why one should use lavender essential oil for restless legs?
Lavender oil is widely known for its rich aroma. However, it is also an analgesic that can provide relief to joint and muscle pains(2). It also cures spams as well that provide restless legs relief.
How to use lavender essential oil for restless legs?
- Take a few drops of the oil in your hands and inhale.
- You can also add some drops to water and take a bath as well.
Read More: Lavender Oil Health Benefits
4. Vetiver essential oil
Why one should use vetiver essential oil for restless legs?
The vetiver oil has a rich aroma like the lavender oil. It has antispasmodic properties that cure muscle pain. It also increases blood circulation to areas applied as well.
How to use vetiver essential oil for restless legs?
- Take a few drops of the oil and massage around your feet gently.
5. Lemongrass essential oil
Why one should use lemongrass essential oil for restless legs?
The lemongrass oil is widely known for its rich and unique aroma. It has sedative properties that help to relieve the lazy foot syndrome(3).
How to use lemongrass essential oil for restless legs?
- Take a few drops of oil and mix it with ginger and lavender oils
- Gently massage the mixture over your feet, neck, and back.
Also Read: Lemongrass Tea Benefits for Health
How Do these Oils Benefit?
Essential oils have numerous benefits. They are known to increase energy levels and hence create a positive environment. They relieve inflammations, pains, and irritations. They cure conditions before they become chronic and also provide relaxation as well.
Why Use these Essential Oils for Restless Legs?
These essential oils have several properties which that cure muscle pains and joint pains. They are antispasmodic in nature, so they relieve spams. They are also great sedatives as well.
How to Use Essential Oils for Restless Legs?
These essential oils can be massaged onto to the feet, back, or neck. They can also be blended with other lighter oils as well.
Do’s and Don’ts of Essential Oils
There are numerous benefits of using essential oils for restless legs. However, there are certain factors that must be remembered.
- Buy these essential oils only if they are organic and natural
- Buy the oils from a trusted source, place, or store.
- Don’t drink or consume the oil without any guidance.
- Don’t buy oils from uncertified vendors or suppliers.
There are several recipes you can make by yourself to cure restless legs pain and much more. Some of them are as follows.
- Salt detox: Take quarter cup sea salt, Epsom salt, and baking soda. Mix it with 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar. Then pour the mixture into hot running water and shower as usual.
- Clay detox: Take half cup of bentonite clay and Epsom salt. Add lavender and peppermint essential oils. Mix it into a small amount of water to form a thick paste. Then apply the paste around your body and take a regular shower. This restless legs syndrome massage will relieve joint pain soon and cure the condition.
There are certain precautions to keep in mind before buying or using these oils.
- Do apply thick oils. It is better to dilute them before use.
- Check for any reactions before using the oils
- Do not apply to open wounds, scars, or irritated skin.
Even though these essential oils have enormous benefits there could be some side effects as well.
- Oils often get exposed to sunlight which could cause different reactions when applied.
- Essential oils must be applied only on dilution as the skin is sensitive.
- Oils must not be consumed without consulting health care experts.
List of Essential Oils for Restless Legs
There are numerous essential oils for restless legs available in the market. Some of them include:
- Black pepper essential oil
- Roman chamomile essential oil
- Clove essential oil
- Ginger essential oil
- Yarrow essential oil
Recommended Read: Chamomile Tea Benefits
Other Homemade Recipes
Some homemade recipes to cure the condition include:
- Vinegar bath: Every week soak yourself in a hot water filled with two cups of apple cider vinegar. This is known to cur the condition effectively.
- Mustard detox: Make a paste of mustard powder, Epsom salt, bentonite clay, and essential oils. Run the paste along the hot water and take a shower. It is will reduce muscle and joint pain and cure the syndrome effectively.
- Oxygen detox: Take two cups of hydrogen peroxide and one tablespoon of ground ginger. Add it inside a tub filled with hot water and soak yourself for better results.
The restless leg condition can be caused due to a variety of factors. However, using certain essential oils for restless legs are known to cure it. Some commonly used essential oils include lavender, peppermint, chamomile, ginger, and much more. Furthermore, instead of oils, homemade recipes are also known to work effectively as well. Some recipes include taking an oxygen, mustard, clay, vinegar, or salt detox baths.
Trying out these remedies frequently will cure the condition as soon as possible.