Plantar Fasciitis is a painful syndrome and a tremendous tribulation to be in. What is more hurting is the fact that it is far too familiar on as roughly ten per cent of the adult population suffers from this condition. Plantar fasciitis also goes by the name of Plantar fasciopathy, talalgia, subcalcaneal pain syndrome or joggers heal. Heel pain in this condition is known to be on the offensive, and it strikes with such ferocious intensity that it comes between you and your normal routine life. If you are between a rock and a hard place as to bear such excruciating pain or go for specific medications, asteroids or even surgery, then you can heave a sigh of relief as essential oils for Plantar fasciitis are there for your rescue.
Condition, causes and symptoms
This condition causes immense pain in your heels and bottom of the foot. Abnormal foot alignment and the inability of the foot to absorb shock brings about this condition.
This condition is characterised by the very slow onset of stiffness and extreme pain as small micro tears develop due to constant strains and pressures upon the feet in a day to day life.
By and by the situation gets to a point where the pain renders you unable to walk. Some of the causes that can lead to this problem are as follows.
- Heel spur
- Excessive standing
- Achilles tendon
- Improper footwear
- Excruciating pain
- Inability to walk correctly
What essential oils for Plantar Fasciitis
- Peppermint essential oil- This versatile essential oil comes in handy for countless situations and the miraculous respiratory benefits which it offers is a reason good enough for its usefulness, not to mention other loads of benefit. Besides, it helps get rid of IBS symptoms and headaches too.
Why use peppermint oil for plantar fasciitis?
The analgesic property of this oil makes it an effective natural painkiller. The active presence of menthol in this oil provides a cooling effect which soothes the swelling foot as it helps with the inflammation. This oil is excellent to tackle severe foot pain which deprives you of a good night’s sleep.
How to use?
Two to three drops of this oil when diluted with a tablespoon of base oil bring much-needed relief from strained tissue owing to the cooling effect. It can also be applied to temples and forehead when a migraine is felt.
- Geranium Oil- Extracted from the stems, leaves and flowers of the geranium plant, this oil offers multiple physical as well as mental health benefits. Its aromatic smell makes it an effective natural deodorant besides being used in aromatherapy for multiple purposes, one of them being tackling stress, anxiety and depression.
Why use Geranium oil for plantar fasciitis?
Geranium essential oil has sedative, astringent and adaptogenic properties which makes it useful for people suffering from severe heel pain due to plantar fasciitis. It helps to alleviate inflammation and provide relief.
How to use?
Geranium oil can be used in healing foot soak which can be used regularly at night to get rid of the pain.
- Frankincense oil- This fantastic oil is obtained from the resin of Boswellia serrata trees. It dramatically reduces stress and alleviates depression without bringing side effects in your way. Not only that but it may also help you to deal with cancer and side effects of chemotherapy.
Why use Frankincense oil for plantar fasciitis?
This oil is jam-packed with anti-inflammatory, stimulant, analgesic, antidepressant and cicatrisant properties which make it highly useful for tackling intense pain caused due to plantar fasciitis. This oil is proven to inhibit the growth of leukotrienes which are inflammatory mediators. Also, it is an effective treatment for gout pain.
How to use?
This oil must be blended in with some carrier oil and applied on aching parts like soles of the feet and muscles.
- Basil Essential oil- Obtained from the herb of the same name, this potent oil offers multitudinous health benefits. This oil helps flush out harmful and unwanted toxins from the body and thus, purify the blood. It promotes healthy skin as it prevents acne and other skin conditions. Also, it works as a mood enhancer and muscle relaxant too.
Why use Basil Essential oil for plantar fasciitis?
Basil essential oil is the go-to essential oil for plantar fasciitis as it has stimulant and anti-inflammatory properties which help allay the pain. To add on top of that, the antibacterial property of this oil further backs up your fight against plantar fasciitis.
How to use?
Topical application of this oil either alone with some carrier oil or in a mixture with other essential oils can provide much-needed relief against severe inflammation that afflicts you due to plantar fasciitis.
- Black Pepper Oil- This oil is obtained from black pepper, the dried fruit of pepper plant. Various properties attributed to this oil make it handy to tackle arthritis pain and improve digestion. Furthermore, it cures the bacterial infection and eliminates excess gas.
Why use Black Pepper oil for plantar fasciitis?
The antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties of this oil make it an effective remedy to deal with the harrowing pain in the foot caused due to plantar fasciitis.
How to use?
This oil can be applied directly in diluted form, and it can be used in various DIY along with other ingredients to get rid of the menacing threat of plantar fasciitis.
How do these oils benefit?
Essential oils are obtained from various parts of a plant through procedures such as cold press extraction and steam distillation. Essential oils in true sense subsume the essence of different plants from which they are obtained.
This makes these concentrated liquids highly potent and capable of dealing with countless health adversaries who are very trying. In the absence of proper care, these problems tend to become a threatening menace as they are loaded with risks that have the potential to keep you down. Essential oils bestow upon you the blessings of nature by keeping you away from such problems and look after your overall health and wellbeing.
Why use essential oils for plantar fasciitis?
Essential oils are the one-stop solution for multitudinous problems and getting rid of the painful situation caused due to plantar fasciitis is one of them. Essential oils are full of anti-inflammatory, stimulant, analgesic and antispasmodic properties which aid you in your fight against such conditions. The pain-relieving mechanism here is completely natural and thus devoid of any dangerous side effects which are a regular occurrence in medications and steroids and other ways to deal with this problem. Moreover, essential oils boost collagen production which in turn hastens the sealing of fascia torn. Thus, not only do these oils help alleviate the pain and physical ordeals one has to go through but also make sure to get to the root cause of the problem and remove it from there.
How to use Essential oils for Plantar Fasciitis?
These oils can be applied topically in the diluted form using carrier oils. Direct application at pain site mitigates the severity of pain. Care should be taken to dilute these oils for they are highly appropriately concentrated. One can also blend several essential oils to intensify their effects further to get significant results. Massaging these oils onto the affected area improves blood circulation, alleviates pain and boosts up collagen production. You can also use these oils in foot soak as it promotes healing by penetrating deep into the skin and providing much-needed relief against the problem.
DIY Essential oils
Healing foot soak
Ingredient :- Foot soak tub, hot water, ¾ cup Epsom salt, ten drops each of peppermint and birch oil, five drops each of marjoram and geranium.
Directions :- Pour hot water in the tub and then mix Epsom salt in it. After that, blend your essential oils in it. Now submerge your feet in this tub for 15 minutes twice a day.
Fascia massage blend-
Ingredients- Glass pipette, 8 oz amber glass bottle, 4 tbsp geranium and clove oil, two teaspoons of black pepper, eight teaspoons each of lemongrass, helichrysum and wintergreen oil.
Directions- Pour the oils with the help of pipette into the amber glass bottle. Take care so as not to exceed the required amount. Blend the oils well.
Essential oils are perfect gifts of nature only if they are used cautiously. One ought to be punctilious as any dissimilitude between the recommended usage, and actual usage will cost you. Thus, one should always consult a healthcare expert and find out the right oil or the right kind of blend of oils for his/her condition. Moreover, FDA does not monitor essential oils, and so it becomes your prime responsibility always to choose pure and unadulterated oil. Internal usage of these oils is strictly prohibited unless mentioned explicitly by the healthcare experts as it can prove fatal. Also, one should undergo a patch test to find out any sensitivity.
- As these oils are highly concentrated, so skin application in undiluted form can cause specific allergic reactions.
- Internal consumption is risky as it can cause allergic reactions and in rare cases, even death.
- These essential oils can exacerbate some preexisting conditions such as diabetes and even trigger an asthma attack.
- They may prove harmful for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- They can cause burns in sunlight. Also, the reactions from photosensitising oils can cause skin discolouration and sores.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do ensure that the oils you buy are pollution free and pure.
- Do consult about your health conditions with your healthcare expert and find out the safety of such oils.
- Do not keep these oils in the presence of sunlight.
- Do not leave these oils in extreme temperature.
- Do not use these oils without diluting them as they are highly concentrated.
- Do not store them in plastic containers.
Other Home Remedies
- Ice- Applying Ice in the form of massage is a great way to get rid of plantar fasciitis as ice packs tend to reduce inflammation. For this purpose, ice packs ought to be covered with a thin cloth and then held over the affected area for as long as 15 minutes probably thrice a day.
- Wear supporting shoes- Always go for shows that provide excellent arch support and a low heel. Low heeled shoe provide support to the plantar fascia and as a result prevent them from inflammation, thus ensuring that you can work for long hours on your feet without the tension of plantar fasciitis.
- Stretch- Stretching the arch of your foot and stretching the calf can prove beneficial. Also, sitting on a chair and stretching the plantar fascia. Rest and regular stretching can help alleviate the pain and discomfort associated with plantar fasciitis.
Many of us have faced this ordeal at some or other point of our lives. And as about ten per cent of the population suffers from this, which implies that many hapless people must undergo the pain and discomfort associated with this problem now and then. The pain is debilitating and can knock you down at times and thereby put a halt in your normal life by rendering you unable to walk.
Essential oils for plantar fasciitis are the perfect go-to option when faced with such a problem as medications are hard without unwanted side effects and surgery is risky and complicated. Essential oils get you out of such a trying situation naturally and without any unwanted side effects. If their usage is per the recommended manner, you can count upon the effectiveness of these oils without a shadow of a doubt.