With almost two million Americans grappling with plantar fasciitis, you may rest be assured that you aren’t the only one with painful arches. It is the third most common injury for athletes and affects both men and women. It mostly occurs due to age, obesity, and overexertion of the feet, but is easily curable.
You can try these simple, easy, and effective home remedies for plantar fasciitis to treat the soreness and inflammation.
Home Remedies for Plantar Fasciitis
1. Fish Oil Supplements
The use of a fish oil supplement is one of the best home remedies for plantar fasciitis(1). Fish oil contains essential omega-3 fatty acid and eicosapentaenoic acid, which work in unison to relieve the pain of plantar fasciitis.
The anti-inflammatory compounds of fish oil also help in curing the inflammation and burning sensation of the affected area.
You can take one fish oil supplement capsule twice in a day for the natural treatment of plantar fasciitis. Add cold water fish to your daily diet to accelerate the recovery process.
- The recommended dosage of fish oil supplement for plantar fasciitis cure is about 3 grams daily.
Ginger is readily available in the kitchen. It is a common spice that is considered as a remedy for several ailments, one of which is plantar fasciitis.
Ginger is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds that aid in the alleviation of inflammation and pain in the affected region. It contains gingerol, which is highly beneficial for the cure of plantar fasciitis.
Grate an inch-sized piece of ginger and add a tablespoon of it to a cup of plain water. Boil the contents of the container for a few minutes. Remove it from the flame and strain out the drink into a cup. Drink the hot ginger concoction with slow sips to get relief from the pain.
- You can take three cups of ginger concoction in a day for about a couple of weeks to cure plantar fasciitis.
3. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is a natural analgesic agent that helps in providing relief from pain and inflammation. It is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds that work to cure the inflammation. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, which helps to reduce the pain and relieve the stiffness of the muscles.
Fill a tub with hot water and mix a teaspoon of cayenne pepper with it. Stir gently until the cayenne pepper dissolves completely. Dip your feet in the solution and keep them submerged for about 10-15 minutes.
You can also use topical ointments that contain capsaicin for the cure of pain and inflammation.
- Follow the cayenne pepper therapy throughout the day in every alternate hour to make the soreness subside. Apply the capsaicin ointment to the affected area to heal the inflammation. Do not apply the cream directly to the broken skin.
[Read: Benefits of Cayenne Pepper]
Turmeric powder has curcumin(2), which is a potent anti-inflammatory compound. Curcumin promotes the cure of inflammation and makes the pain and stiffness of the affected region go away quickly.
Research reveals that turmeric can provide relief from chronic inflammation, as well. It is, therefore, one of the most effective home remedies for plantar fasciitis.
Fill a cup with plain and hot milk and add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. Stir gently until the color of milk changes into yellow. Add a teaspoon of honey to the milk and stir again to sweeten its taste.
Drink it before bed at night. You can also take curcumin supplements to cure the pain and inflammation of plantar fasciitis.
- A couple of teaspoons of turmeric every day is sufficient for the natural treatment of plantar fasciitis. If you choose to take curcumin supplements, then consult the doctor for the right dosage.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
The use of apple cider vinegar for plantar fasciitis is a remarkable cure. It is a common home remedy that can provide immediate relief from pain and inflammation.
The medicinal properties of apple cider vinegar contribute to the cure by soothing the affected region and getting rid of the burning sensation.
Mix a teaspoon each of raw honey and apple cider vinegar in a dish to make a paste. Add the paste to a cup of lukewarm water and stir well to prepare a solution. Drink the solution twice daily to cure plantar fasciitis.
Fill the tub with warm water and add two or three tablespoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to it. Stir gently to prepare a bath for your feet. Dip the feet in the tub and keep them submerged until the water cools down. Follow this home remedy in every couple of hours throughout the day to soothe the pain and inflammation.
- Restrict the consumption of diluted apple cider vinegar to one cup daily.
6. Stretching Exercises
Stretch the fascia to reduce the soreness of plantar fasciitis. The gentle stretching exercises are especially useful for minimizing the jabs of pain in the morning and doing away with the worsening of the pain at night. Do a little stretching exercise daily to drive out the pain of plantar fasciitis.
Prop the toes against the wall and make sure that the arch and heel are flat. This position helps in stretching the toes. Maintain this position for about fifteen seconds and then release it. Repeat.
Bend the ankles backward and extend the toes while walking to ease the pain.
Sit on the bed and flex your feet. Pull the feet towards you gently and continue with the stretching exercise of the tendons and Achilles’ calves. Hold this position for 30 seconds to get rid of the pain.
Doing stretching exercises is one of the best home remedies for plantar fasciitis. Repeat every stretching exercise in two or three sets and follow the exercise routine twice daily for the cure of plantar fasciitis pain.
[Read: Exercises for Plantar Fasciitis]
7. Ice Pack
The administration of ice or heat for plantar fasciitis is the best way to cure the pain at home. The application of an ice pack soothes the pain by numbing the nerve points of the affected area.
It helps to improve blood circulation, which is essential for the cure for inflammation.
Wrap a handful of ice chips and cubes in a handkerchief to prepare an ice pack. Hold the ice pack to the sore area with gentle pressure.
You can also use frozen peas or any frozen object with a smooth surface instead of an ice pack for the treatment of plantar fasciitis pain.
- Massage your feet with the ice pack for about a couple of minutes, twice a day, to make the pain go away permanently.
[Read: Massage for Plantar Fasciitis]
8. Epsom Salt
The administration of Epsom salt for plantar fasciitis helps in the natural treatment of the inflammation and soreness of the affected region.
Bathing the feet in Epsom salt water helps to repair the connective tissues and heal the muscles as well.
- Fill a tub with warm water and add two or three tablespoons of Epsom salt to it. Stir gently until the salt dissolves completely.
- Dip your feet in the mixture and keep them submerged for about 15 minutes. Massage the affected region gently with the Epsom salt water.
Follow this home remedy twice daily for the cure of plantar fasciitis.
Plantar fasciitis is a common problem, and its remedies are readily available. If the pretty arch of your feet is giving you painful trouble, then it is time to embrace the home remedies for plantar fasciitis. The good news is that the home remedies are incredibly useful in driving out the pain and healing the inflammation.
The “not so good” part is that you can no longer wear the fancy high-heeled wedges and pumps because they tend to aggravate the pain. Wear stylish sneakers and trendy loafers instead. Drink water and follow a healthy routine of diet and exercise to do away with plantar fasciitis.
1. Is There a Dietary Cure for Plantar Fasciitis?
- Add anti-inflammatory foods to your diet to quicken the recovery from plantar fasciitis.
- Eat foods that are rich in calcium, vitamins, amino acids, zinc, and antioxidants to improve immunity and eliminate the toxic free radicals.
- You can eat sweet potatoes, ginger, garlic, berries, walnuts, almonds, etc.
2. What Can You Do to Prevent Shooting Pain in the Heels at Night?
You can try these options
- Use a night splint to prevent the tightening of soft tissues and thereby ward off the increase in pain at night.
- Make sure that the night splint is complementary to the ankle to stretch out the arch.
- Wear the splint for a few nights, and the pain will subside soon.
3. Are There Any Prevention Tips for Plantar Fasciitis?
Measures that you can opt for
- Bid farewell to the pointy stilettos and embrace the good old sneakers and loafers.
- Do not stand for too long. Sit down every 10 minutes, or whenever you feel pain.
- Drink plenty of water to aid in cellular repair and promote metabolism.
- Follow a balanced diet as obesity is the primary cause of plantar fasciitis.