What is Menopause?
Menopause is a crucial stage in every woman’s life It marks an end to the menstrual cycle and fertility of the woman. Like puberty, this is the stage wherein a woman’s body goes through numerous hormonal changes that substantially affect her physical and mental state. To ease the symptoms, one can trust essential oils for menopause. These address various troubles that women undergo due to a lower level of estrogen production in the body breaking the habit of it since the time of puberty. Such hormonal changes are known to affect the body, triggering some conditions known as menopausal symptoms.
Types of Menopause
Following are the different types of Menopause:
- Natural Menopause: Natural Menopause is that which happens naturally when the ovaries stop functioning, and your menstrual cycle ends.
- Induced Menopause: When the menopause does not occur naturally but is forced to occur due to specific surgery or medication, then it is called induced menopause. It happens when your ovaries are removed or are affected.
- Early Menopause: If a woman’s menstrual cycle ends before 45 years, it is said to be early menopause. Several reasons cause early menopause in a woman.
- Endocrine disorders
- Autoimmune disease
- Thyroid disease
- Chromosome defects
Symptoms of Menopause
A woman is said to have reached menopause stage when she does not have her period for a year. It is before the onset of this stage that she undergoes numerous changes that are termed to be menopausal symptoms. The typical signs that a woman may face before her menopause are:
- Irregular Periods
- Hot flashes
- Night Sweats
- Vaginal Dryness
- Sleep Troubles
- Urinary tract infection
- Hair Loss
- Shrinking of breasts
What causes Menopause in Women?
Menopause occurs when the ovaries of a woman stop releasing the eggs, thus putting an end to the menstrual cycle. Also, the production of estrogen and progesterone reduces with the aging of ovaries which causes one to suffer from various troubles known as menopausal symptoms.
Menopause Age Range
There is no exact age when a woman may experience menopause, but generally, the menopause age ranges from late 40’s to early 50’s. Some women may seem the symptoms in their 30’s while some may experience the symptoms extending to their 60’s.
How to use essential oils for menopause?
Essential oils are extracts obtained from various plant parts. These have active compounds that can help heal multiple conditions. Their strong aroma is also known to have significant psychological effects that can help treat issues like anxiety, depression, mood swings that are often related to menopause. You can use the oils in diffusers, baths, and as lotions to get relief from menopausal symptoms.
Top 10 Essential Oils for Menopause
If you are not too keen on taking prescribed medications and wish to get relief from the menopause-related troubles at home, then try the following mentioned essential oils for menopause. These are known to provide great aid to women suffering from menopause symptoms.
1. Evening Primrose Oil is one of the popular natural remedies for Menopausal symptoms
Evening Primrose Oil is undoubtedly beneficial for women suffering from various symptoms related to Menopause. It contains GLA, Gamma-linolenic acid which is known to play an active part in the production of Prostaglandins. These substances are known to counter various hormonal changes related to menopause(1).
How to use?
- Primrose Evening oil supplements can be used to treat menopausal symptoms
- You can take the capsules of Evening Primrose Oil
- The average dosage varies from 2 to 8 grams
- To minimize the risk of side-effects, take small doses through the day
2. Treat menopause insomnia and other troubles with CBD Oil
The sedative properties of CBD oil help treat insomnia along with mood swings and menopause anxiety. CBD or Cannabidiol Oil is a product of marijuana plants and industrial hemp.
Before you draw any conclusion, you should know that CBD oil has lower levels or no levels of THC that means it does not make you feel high. Thus, it is safe for consumption, if taken in moderation. It also helps prevent bone loss which is common during menopause.
How to use?
- You can take in CBD oil tincture or capsules
- Or, you can pour some of it on your pillow to enjoy sound sleep
- You can also apply it on your chest for better rest
3. Coconut oil is a natural treatment for menopause hot flashes
Women undergoing menopausal changes suffer from hot flashes, i.e., their body temperature increases abruptly with too much sweating. Coconut oil with its healing properties proves to be a useful aid for menopausal women as it can effectively treat menopause hot flashes(2).
How to use?
- Apply a generous amount of the oil on your scalp before you go to sleep to prevent hot flashes
- Or you can include coconut oil in your diet
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil along with one to two tablespoons of organic flax seed oil daily
4. Use Clary sage Oil to fight menopause depression
Clary sage oil is one of the most effective essential oils for Menopause depression. Its anti-depressant properties relieve you from psychological troubles that you may suffer from during menopause. It also prevents the development of osteoporosis which is common during this stage.
How to use?
- Take two to three drops of Clary sage oil and rub them on your feet or the back of the neck
- You can also pour the oil on your handkerchief and inhale it to control your mood swings
5. Starflower oil counts among the useful essential oils for Menopause
Starflower oil also known as Borage oil is known to contain gamma-linolenic acid which regulates the production of prostaglandins. These hormone-like substances are known to control the hormonal imbalance that women go through during the menopause stage. Thus, it can be used to reduce menopausal symptoms.
How to use?
- Starflower Essential oil supplements are available in the market
- You can take these supplements to regulate the symptoms related to menopause
- An average dosage can be around 1000 mg
6. Lavender essential can also reduce menopausal symptoms
The pleasant and potent aroma of Lavender essential oil is known to treat menopause insomnia and provide relaxation. It also helps balance the hormone level in the body and reduces perineal discomfort.
How to use?
- Add lavender oil to your diffuser to enjoy sound sleep
- If the perineum region feels tight, then you can add a drop of diluted oil on the cold compress
- Apply it for around thirty minutes on the area
Read More: Lavender Oil Benefits
7. Peppermint Oil also counts among the best essential oils for menopause
Peppermint essential oil makes it to the list of useful essential oils for menopause owing to its pain relieving properties. It helps in easing the discomfort that you may experience during the menopause. Cramps even after menstruation has ceased can also be reduced by using peppermint essential oil.
How to use?
- Pour two drops of peppermint oil on to your tissue
- Inhale the oil slowly
The strong aroma of the oil helps in easing the symptoms related to menopause.
8. Citrus oil can be effective against menopause anxiety
Citrus oil is one of the most popular essential oils for menopause and is extensively used in aromatherapy(3). The oil is known to ease menopausal symptoms along with aches and pains that women suffer from during the perimenopause or menopause stage. It also helps regulate the systolic blood pressure and improve estrogen concentration.
How to use?
- Pour few drops of the oil on your handkerchief and inhale it
- You can also add the oil to your diffuser and let the citrus aroma fill in your room
9. Basil can also help reduce menopause symptoms
Basil oil is another useful essential oil for menopause. Its intense aroma boosts estrogen level in the body and improves your mood.
How to use?
- Basil oil aromatherapy can help alleviate your mood
- You can massage the diluted oil on your feet or behind your neck to get relief from hot flashes
10. Geranium oil is an excellent remedy to menopause in women
Geranium essential oil is known to combat hormonal changes that women go through during their menopause cycle. It can be an excellent natural treatment to control the symptoms of menopause in women.
How to use?
- Pour two to three drops of the oil on a tissue
- Inhale the oil slowly to get instant relief from stress and anxiety
- You can also add a few drops of the oil in your bath to treat dry skin
Side-Effects of Essential oils for Menopause
Essential oils can be quite useful in reducing menopausal symptoms and are being widely used by women. However, being concentrates of plants, the essential oils are quite potent; hence, these do have some side-effects. They should be used in moderation and with utmost care. The oils are known to cause:
- Severe headaches
Recommended Read: Home Remedies for Nausea
Other home remedies for Menopause
Along with prescribed medications, women facing severe menopausal troubles can try some useful home remedies that can improve the body coping mechanism. Following are the treatments that you may consider.
Reduce your coffee intake
Caffeine present in coffee acts as a stimulant that can aggravate hot flashes and worsen the condition. Reduce your caffeine intake by cutting down on coffee and other drinks with a high content of caffeine.
Include more Soy products
Soy is one of the most useful natural treatments for reducing symptoms of menopause. It is rich in isoflavones which is a plant-based estrogen. Intake of more soy products can help balance the estrogen level in your body, thus reducing symptoms like night sweats, hot flashes, etc.
Engage in Exercise or Yoga
Indulging in some physical activity helps improve your overall health. It can relieve you of insomnia, hot flashes, mood swings and other symptoms related to menopause.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are there any side-effects of consuming essential oil supplements?
Response: Essential oil supplements available in the market are safe for consumption. Make sure you buy supplements of only high quality and divide the dosage all through the day instead of consuming it all at once.
2. How inhaling essential oil helps relieve stress?
Response: Essential oils are highly volatile, that is their molecules readily diffuse in the air and enter your nasal cavity. From there they reach your brain and trigger specific responses that make you feel good and reduce our stress level.
Every woman in her late forties and fifties experiences menopausal symptoms that can affect her daily life. Essential oils for menopause can help her cope up with such conditions. The severity of the symptoms varies from woman to woman. You may take prescribed medications to reduce the troubles. Alternatively, you can also add some natural treatments and essential oils to your regime.