Head lice are an evil which has plagued humans for generations and years. It is contagious and easily transferable causing it to be destructive for one’s scalp and hair. To add to that, it is unhygienic. Nobody knows where it comes from and nobody knows where you can catch it. Thanks to science various chemicals have come up to battle lice but with a consequence of ruined hair. Then what is the remedy to this problem? One can suggest the natural and organic remedy of essential oils for lice.
Essential oils offer many health benefits with their natural properties. One of the most beneficial aspects of essential oil is helping you with head lice. With such a casual and busy lifestyle, it is hard to take care of hygiene. Many unhealthy habits like have made a strong position in our lifestyle, and this costs us in many ways, such as head lice. Fortunately, many essential oils can help you with lice removal.
[Read: How to Get Rid of Lice Naturally]
Types, Symptoms, and Causes of Lice
Lice are considered one of the most stubborn medical conditions that a person can ever face. Lack of cleanness and care to scalp and hair leads to lice and then it becomes a hard task to get rid of lice.
- Live lice: These are present on the surface of the scalp.
- Eggs: Louse lay eggs, and they die, the eggs hatch and then your problem of head lice starts.
- Dead lice: They do not do any direct harm to your scalp, but other lice(1) feed on dead ones and in this way dead lice can cause us trouble if left unchecked.
- Red Bumps
- Lice eggs
- Small white objects in your hair
- Tickling feeling in our hair due to movement of lice
- Transmission from hats
- Sharing scarves
- Sharing combs
- Sharing pillows
- Sharing clothes
- Sharing headphones
What essential oils are good for head lice-
Using chemical shampoos and products can get harmful for your scalp and hair thus using essential oils for a natural way is a must. It is undoubtedly true that a healthy lifestyle is an integral part of getting rid of head lice.
But in many cases, they might continue to be where they were and cause you all the efforts to keep them at bay. Here you should surely use essential oils for head lice. Oils like tea tree oil, peppermint oil, lavender oil, clove oil, eucalyptus oil, cinnamon oil and more are helpful in getting rid of head lice.
[Read: Hair fall and It’s Natural Cure]
How to Use Essential Oils for Lice?
Following are the top essential oils for lice that offer significant benefits for getting rid of lice.
1. Tea Tree Oil for Lice
Tea tree oil has antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, and fungicide properties. It is believed to be a jack-of-all-trades as far as home remedies go.
Why One Should Use Tea Tree Oil for Lice?
Tea tree oil contains plenty of germicidal compounds that can effectively kill different types of bacteria, fungi, viruses, and protozoans(2). These compounds also work against the head lice parasite. Tea tree oil not only destroys the adult lice but also takes care of the eggs that have latched onto the hair for you.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Lice?
- You can apply a few drops of tea tree oil on your scalp with a very gentle massage to make sure that it is completely scattered, and no patch is left untouched.
- Let it sit overnight and then wash with ordinary temperature water.
- Comb properly to obliterate the dead lice.
[Read: Tea Tree Oil for Lice]
2. Peppermint Oil for Lice
Peppermint oil is an antibacterial, antispasmodic and insecticidal which helps you in a great way to get rid of head lice.
Why One Should Use Peppermint for Lice?
Peppermint oil can do wonders for you because it is one of those rare oils which can kill all the nits present in your hair. Peppermint oil kills lice in the vast colony, giving you the desired result in no time.
How to Use Peppermint Oil for Lice?
- Make a blend of peppermint, lavender and mustard oil.
- Store the mix in a glass bottle in a dark place.
- Every time before washing your hair, massage this blend gently and thoroughly and cover your head completely with a towel of warm water.
- Rinse the mixture with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Use a comb to remove dead lice..
[Read: Benefits of Peppermint Oil]
3. Lavender Oil for Lice
Lavender oil has this unique property of staying in your hair even after washing correctly, this causes no adverse aftereffect but helps you as a security guard and does not allow lice to come again or grow in your hair.
Why One Should Use Lavender Oil for Lice?
Lavender oils work as an insecticide and repel lice. It kills bacteria, fungi, and insects very effectively and lice too. Lavender oil helps you to prevent head lice infestations.
How to Use Lavender for Living?
- Massage a few drops of lavender oil into your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for about 2 hours.
- Shampoo hair, rinse and apply any soft conditioner.
- Using a nit comb remove as many nits as possible and then rinse with fresh water and let your hair dry.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a week.
[Read : Lavender Oil Benefits]
4. Clove Oil for Lice
Clove oil is an excellent antiseptic and destroys all types of lice and nits. Clove oil is rich in thiamine, folate, betaine, and vitamin B6 which kill lice effectively.
Why One Should Use Clove Oil for Lice?
Clove oil( is an analgesic and antiseptic properties which you can take significant advantage with your fight against head lice.
How to Use Clove Oil for Lice?
- Mix 2 ounces of clove oil with 12-18 drops of the olive oil and apply on the scalp using a clean cotton ball.
- Leave the mixture overnight and comb out the lice after doing shampoo.
5. Eucalyptus Oil for Lice
Eucalyptus oil is excellent at taking care of your hair and does so by making them soft and robust which proves to a challenge for lice.
Why One Should Use Eucalyptus Oil for Lice?
This oil will moisturize and protect your hair while fighting against lice; eucalyptus oil gives you relief from the itchy scalp that is caused by lice present in your hair.
How to Use Eucalyptus for Lice?
- Mix 3ml of eucalyptus oil and 30ml regular shampoo and stored in a dark place, away from sunlight.
- Use this mixture as your regular shampoo for at least four times a week and see the magic happen yourself.
[Read: Eucalyptus Oil Benefits]
6. Cinnamon Oil for Lice
Cinnamon oil is an excellent antioxidant and helps you in killing lice and removal of nits.
Why One Should Use Cinnamon Oil for Lice?
Cinnamon oil helps with eggs and dead lice which lies in your hair and becomes the welcome band for lice.
How to Use Cinnamon for Lice?
- Mix cinnamon oil with honey and olive oil and keep it in an airtight container.
- Massage your scalp gently with this mixture at least once a week and see the results within 5-8 applications.
7. Thyme Oil for Lice
Thyme oil is an insecticide which kills lice directly without many inputs. It is bactericidal and prevents the growth of lice and nits. It increases blood flow in your scalp(3).
Why One Should Use Thyme Oil for Lice?
Being a herb from the mint family, it gets the aroma of enormous popularity and is loved by many. Thyme oil stays on your scalp for longer than any other essential oil and does the needful without much assistance and your help.
How to Use Thyme Oil for Lice?
- Take a few drops of thyme oil in your hands and rub your palms for 20-25 seconds to make your palm and oil warm.
- Make sure to apply oil at the ends of the hair as they are the most damaged and mostly ignored.
- Repeat it as frequently as it pleases you.
8. Nutmeg Oil for Lice
Nutmeg is a highly useful spice that offers significant relief from head lice based on its anti-inflammatory properties.
Why use Nutmeg oil for lice
Nutmeg oil helps in suffocating and incinerating the lice which help in hampering their breeding and offers long-lasting relief.
How to use Nutmeg oil for lice
Mix a few drops of nutmeg essential oil with a few drops of olive oil. Apply it to your scalp and let it stay for one hour. Now, use a comb to remove the dead lice. Thereafter, wash your hair thoroughly.
9. Pine Oil for Lice
Pine Oil possesses excellent anti-inflammatory properties which help in providing significant relief from head lice.
Why use Pine oil for lice
Pine essential oil helps in clearing the dead lice and also offers relief from the itching sensation that is experienced due to the lice.
How to use thyme oil for lice
Take a few drops of the Pine Oil and rub it on to the scalp gently. Leave it on for an hour and then wash thoroughly to remove the dead lice.
In addition to the essential oils for lice mentioned above, you can use these other oils as well for they provide instant relief: –
1. Coconut Oil for Lice
Coconut oil will help you with immobilized lice but will not have any effect on eggs of the lice.
Why One Should Use Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil makes lice slow and easy to catch and kill the ones already slow and steady. Coconut oil has antioxidant properties which cause lice to get sick and lazy and then finally you can pick them.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Lice?
- First, wash your hair with hot water and let it dry in natural air.
- Get the oil slightly above room temperature so that it gets into liquid form.
- Spread throughout your hair and make sure your scalp is completely covered.
- Place a plastic bag on your head make it airtight as much as possible.
- Leave it for at least 8 hours and then wash it with regular water.
[Read: Use Coconut Oil for Lice]
2. Neem Oil for Lice
Neem oil disrupts the life cycle of lice and suffocates. Neem oil contains steroid and triterpenoid which helps you to fight head lice.
Why One Should Use Neem for Lice?
Neem oil is a vegetable oil obtained from Azadirachta indica, an evergreen tree native to India. Neem oil helps you fight against many kinds of infections.
How to Use Neem for Lice?
- Wash your hair with fresh water and a small amount of pure neem oil.
- After you have washed the hair, leave it on the head to incubate for at least 10-13 minutes.
- Rinse off the shampoo and use a soft conditioner to make sure subsequent combing.
- Towel dry your hair and then apply undiluted neem oil to the hair and comb it through.
Risk and Preventions
Essential oils for lice have numerous health benefits in addition to their lice fighting properties, but you must be very careful while using and selecting them because a wrong move can make a condition worse and to your nightmare, it can give birth to any infection or allergies.
Other Home Remedies for Lice
There are some natural remedies for lice, and they are listed below: –
- Mayonnaise: Rub it gently on the scalp and cover it with a shower cap and after leaving it overnight wash with a mild shampoo.
- Listerine for lice: Douse your hair and scalp in the Listerine solution and cover. After two hours wash it off with any regular shampoo.
- Baking soda: 1:3 ratio mixture of baking soda and conditioner respectively. Apply the mixture all over the scalp and hair correctly, comb lice out but with every stroke make sure to rub the comb in a clean paper so that lice won’t go back.
To get rid of lice is undoubtedly not a couple of day’s job, and will take time, it needs to be taken care in steps and skipping any of those won’t get you the result you are looking for. Hygiene must be kept on a check, and all the prevention must be taken, after all, prevention is better than cure. Making use of essential oils for lice is an ideal solution to relieve you of this issue.
[Read: Natural Remedies for Dandruff]
1. How long will it take to get rid of lice?
It can take time depending upon the situation in which you have started the treatment and need patience as it is not an easy task and need your efforts.
2. Can lice come back?
Yes, if not taken care of hair properly and stayed careless of causes of lice. Lice might return and can cause you all the needed efforts again.