Fibromyalgia is a more commonly is a pain in different body joints. Depending on types of fibromyalgia the joints where the pain starts and spreads differ and also the reasons are also different(1). The pain is chronic and can be minimized. The pain further causes muscle stiffness or pain in bending movements of joints and tendons. Whenever you feel jerk while bending or stiffness in all muscles of the body this rheumatic condition is fibromyalgia.
Fatigue in such painful condition sometimes results in the mood and sleep disorder or stress. Fibromyalgia medication doesn’t necessarily guarantee about complete recovery but there medicines available to reduce the fibromyalgia muscle pain.
The essential oil for fibromyalgia plays a huge role as it is necessary to at least reduce the effects of symptoms like anxiety, stress or psychological trauma. Essential oils are natural remedies that accelerate the reduction in pain and symptoms thus help in faster recovery. Every essential oil has an individual impact to recover from this rheumatic condition causing severe pain.
Types, Symptoms And Causes Of Fibromyalgia
Due to body pain sometimes causes physical trauma or stress and it may result in a change in body function overtimes.
Symptoms Of Fibromyalgia
The symptoms of Fibromyalgia are the following:
- Extensive Pain
- Mental And Intellectual Problem
Some other symptoms like a migraine, bladder pain etc.
Recommended Read: Home Remedies For Sleep Apnea
Causes Of Fibromyalgia
Causes of Fibromyalgia is generally the amalgamation of various major and minor factors including the following:
- Genetics: Main cause of this disease is it is hereditary, the newborn carries the genes of infection from their parents
- Infection: Previous or wounds ignored and got transformed in wounds in past years can cause fibromyalgia after several years
- Physical And Psychological Trauma: Accident doesn’t harm physically the mental imbalance due to trauma or shock may result in fibromyalgia
Types Of Fibromyalgia:
Fibromyalgia causes pain in different joints and body organs. Below are some kinds of Fibromyalgia are as follows:
- Hyperalgesia: This mainly describes severe pain in body muscles and joints. The reasons are different but a symptom of this type of fibromyalgia is a high pain
- Widespread Muscle Pain: Some similar symptoms of glue like harsh soreness and stiffness with body ache. These are common symptoms of fibromyalgia. The pain in lower body and back is severed
- Joint Pain: One of the symptoms of fibromyalgia is swelling or ache as severe as in pain in arthritis. The main infection areas are the lower jaw, then the ear, and neck
- Allodynia: This is related to skin. The sensitivity is so severe causing skin or muscle pain even with the application of the small amount of force or pressure. This is like a skin sensitivity as that of a sunburn. This unusual hypersensitive reaction
- Neuropathic Pain: This term is about the painful sensation in nerves such as ticking and mumbling numbing.
What Essential Oils Are Good For Fibromyalgia?
Essential oils are natural oils from plants. They have multiple properties that would help to reduce the effects and side effects of fibromyalgia(2). Many times along with physical wounds the mental wounds are harder to heal. Though a high dose of medicine is prescribed by a doctor the essential oils and mixtures will help to reduce pain and psychological imbalance in fibromyalgia.
Every essential oil has different individual properties like reduction in muscle pain, relaxing a muscle or reducing psychological trauma etc. These essential oils are home natural remedies helping to get over the pain of fibromyalgia. The essential oils like lavender oil, peppermint oil, sandalwood oil, eucalyptus oil, and juniper oil etc are some essential oils use for treatment of fibromyalgia.
How To Use Essential Oils For Fibromyalgia Treatment?
These are some of the top essential oils for Fibromyalgia that offer significant relief.
1. Lavender Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Lavender Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Lavender oil is known for its calming attributes, and in the year 2015, a study proved that it also works as a muscle pain reliever. Similarly, in 2016, lavender oil was used to treat knee osteoarthritis.
How To Use Lavender Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Lavender oil should not be applied directly on the skin surface. It should be appropriately diluted with some other carrier oil and then applied on the skin. It also helps to get good sleep.
Read More: Excellent Benefits of Lavender Oil
2. Peppermint Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Peppermint Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Peppermint oil comes from a herb and finds mention even in the Greek mythology and ancient Egyptian pyramids(3). It can reduce pain and increased mental stimulation.
How To Use Peppermint Oil For Fibromyalgia?
This oil should also be diluted and then applied indirectly. A mixture of peppermint oil, ethanol, and eucalyptus oil increases cognitive concentration and reduces pain and inflammation.
3. Sandalwood Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Sandalwood Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Sandalwood is a calming oil which is also used for inflammation and antiseptic effects and also helps in enjoying a better sleep.
How To Use Sandalwood Oil For Fibromyalgia?
You can inhale sandalwood oil by taking small quantities of it on your palms, or you can also use it after diffusing. Its blend with other oils enhances its quality. It is also directly applicable on the surface for massaging purposes.
4. Eucalyptus Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Eucalyptus Oil For Fibromyalgia?
The oil of eucalyptus comes from the leaves of the evergreen leaves of the eucalyptus tree. This essential oil is a clear liquid with a typical smell and taste(4). Eucalyptus belongs to Australia, but with its growing popularity it’s market has expanded to various parts of the world. Eucalyptus oil works better to treat pain and inflammation than most other oils.
How To Use Eucalyptus Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Eucalyptus oil must be used after consulting with healthcare experts to prevent irritation on the skin, and its usage may also interfere with some ongoing homeopathic treatments.
Read More: Eucalyptus Oil Benefits
5. Nutmeg Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Nutmeg Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Nutmeg is widely used in central and east Asia as a spice which promotes better digestion as well as good flavoring. It also can soothe pain and inflammation and improve the capability of mental tasks on a daily basis.
How To Use Nutmeg Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Nutmeg oil can be used directly on the skin to massage the painful area. It can also be added to soaps and other creams for better application and aromatic smell.
6. Ginger Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why Use Ginger Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Ginger is not only a favorite spice in almost all cuisines, but it has many health benefits including the ability to ease costochondritis and fibromyalgia(5). Ginger tea with a few drops of ginger oil is highly recommended to relieve constipation.
How To Use Ginger Oil For Fibromyalgia?
Ginger oil can either be consumed orally or applied to the area of pain with a blend of any carrier oil like coconut or grapeseed oil.
7. Helichrysum Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Helichrysum Oil For Fibromyalgia?
An oil with sweet aroma and green and green floral pattern. The process of the destination of flowers gives you final output as an oil from the crush. It reduces muscle pain and tension in the muscle. It reduces pain by improving blood circulation.
How To Use Helichrysum Oil For Fibromyalgia?
It can be directly massaged on infected area or mix with a carrier oil and apply the mixture on the infected area. This will improve blood circulation and reduce pain.
8. Black Paper Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Black Paper Oil For Fibromyalgia?
There are multiple users of black paper oil for fibromyalgia treatment. It helps in reducing pain by warming the infection area. It reduces stiffness as well by improving blood circulation.
How To Use Black Paper Oil For Fibromyalgia?
This is a very strong oil hence do not use it directly on the skin. Use it sparingly or with a carrier oil in dilute form, but direct skin contact is prohibited.
9. Juniper Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why One Should Use Juniper Oil For Fibromyalgia?
It hypertensive properties help to calm your nerves and relaxes your joints and muscles spasms.
How To Use Juniper Oil For Fibromyalgia?
It is instructed to be applied topically. Depending on skin sensitivity you can apply directly to the skin.
10. Marjoram Oil For Fibromyalgia
Why Use Marjoram Oil For Fibromyalgia?
The pain causes anxiety and stress. Marjoram oil gives you peaceful sleep and decreases the anxiety and stress.
How To Use Marjoram Oil For Fibromyalgia?
A massage of a blend of marjoram oil with Roman chamomile oil, mandarin and rose essential oil helps reduce anxiety and stress.
Risks And Precaution
As already mentioned above, essential oils are concentrated extracts from plants and herbs, and they should never really be applied directly except some like coconut oil which is a type of carrier oil. The blend with essential oils with carrier oils not only dilutes the formula but also enhances the quality of it with a broader perspective of benefit. Essential oils should not be used in a vast quantity.
The essential oil should be avoided if the patient has a history of miscarriage, diabetes and vaginal bleeding because it can interfere with prospects of pregnancy. It is always suggested to consult a health care expert before using essential oils, especially in sensitive times as that of during pregnancy.
Other Natural Remedies For Fibromyalgia
In addition to the essential oils for Fibromyalgia listed above, various other alternative therapies and natural treatments can help one manage the Fibromyalgia pain in a better way.
- According to a study published in the Journal of Pain Research, a 75-80 minutes session of yoga every week has been found to result in lower level of Fibromyalgia muscle pain.
- Dr. Daniel Lewis, an Australian rheumatologist, considers that meditation can manipulate the brain into functioning differently to improve Fibromyalgia situations.
- Acupuncture is a form of Chinese medicine where needles are inserted into the body to stimulate specific points for better functioning and better blood circulation. Out of 395 participants in a study, it has been concluded that it helps in the treatment of Fibromyalgia pain and stiffness.
- Tai Chi is a Chinese method of slow movement of your body through different poses. A daily 60-minute session of Tai Chi has been found to produce noticeable changes in a Fibromyalgia patient.
A patient who has Fibromyalgia faces problems of pain, fatigue and mental exhaustion on a day-to-day basis. But through specific measures like the use of naturally occurring essential oils for fibromyalgia, yoga, meditation, etc. it is possible to deal with the agonising experience in a better and peaceful manner.
1. Is there a cure for Fibromyalgia?
No, no promised cure can treat Fibromyalgia. But if the symptoms are identified at an early stage, there are chances that it can be controlled. If that is not the case, then there are various methods and advanced research that are discovering new ways to at least relief the person who has Fibromyalgia.
2. Is there a special diet for Fibromyalgia?
No, there is no special diet for Fibromyalgia patients. But it is suggested to include lots of fruits and vegetables for the supply of antioxidants. These antioxidants protect tissues from causing more pain. It is advised to avoid foods that cause irritable bowel syndrome.