Drumstick trees, also are known as Never Die Tree in Africa as they continue to survive under extremely harsh conditions.
We owe the culinary explorers the taste of vegetables and fruits in our cities, although the vegetables are cultivated in other areas. One vegetable that has been the topic of discussion for culinary and health experts, holistic practitioners, and Ayurveda is Drumstick or Moringa.
Moringa is a superfood that works as a one-stop solution to most of your health problems. This plant and its drumstick leaves are loaded with benefits for our bodies. These plants are very common in South India and are a major ingredient in soups, sambars, and pickles. It has several properties and has made its way to every cuisine in India.
- Research says that this tree seeds can be used to clean water.
- It is said that every part of this tree is useful for the roots of this plant, drumstick Leaves, and its flowers.
Benefits of Drumstick Tree on Our Health
Drumstick vegetable and drumstick leaves are known to have several health benefits. Let’s take a look.
- Moringa Drumstick is a boon for people who have Diabetes. Its properties help to reduce the sudden spike of blood sugar levels in your body. It accelerates the functioning of your gallbladder, which helps to lower glucose levels.
- It improves digestive health. It is a storehouse of B complex vitamins like niacin, riboflavin(1), B12 that are essential for better digestion. It is fibrous, which is anyways helpful indigestion.
- This plant is extremely rich in calcium and works very well for people suffering from bone depletion, calcium deficiency, and osteoarthritis. It also helps in building strong bones in children.
- It is rich in iron that makes the body’s strength and allows the growth of healthy cells.
- It is said that eating this plant everyday helps in the purification of blood.
- It is rich in Vitamin C, and that helps in treating a lot of respiratory diseases. It prevents common flu and also raises your body’s immunity.
- Drumstick leaves are rich in fiber. It prevents craving as it keeps your body full for a very long time.
- Drumstick leaves to speed up the cell formation process and removes pigmentations, spots, and blemishes from the skin.
- This plant is excellent in treating Insomnia. Its amino acid works on your body by controlling the sleeping cycle and allows you to sleep peacefully.
Recipes That You Could Try
Here are some healthy Drumstick recipes you can try for drumstick benefits.
1. Drumstick Leaves Recipe for Acne
- Few Drumstick leaves
- Mortar pestle/grinder
- If you are using a grinder, add a few tbsp of water and add some leaves to it. Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste to the acne and let it rest for 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water and repeat this every day.
2. Drumstick Leaves Recipe for Weight Loss
- Moringa powder
- Water to boil.
- Take two cups of water and put to boil.
- Add some powder of this plant to it. Allow it steep for 5 minutes.
Strain and have this nutritious tea for weight loss.
3. Soup- An Anti-Ageing Soup
This makes it to the top of healthy drumstick recipes.
- Curry leaves
- Drumstick fruit
- Wash it and cut into pieces. (size of a finger) .
- Heat oil in a pan, add oil, curry leaves and cumin.
- Saute until it turns brown. Now add minced garlic and chopped onion.
- Add drumstick, red chili powder (optional), some warm water, and stir. It must be covered in water.
- Add some salt and cover and cook until the gravy thickens.
[Read: Foods to Keep Young]
4. Low-Calorie Drumstick Recipe
- 2 cups of cut drumstick
- One potato chopped
- Onions chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp curry leaves
- 1 pinch mustard
- ½ tsp Cumin
- Cloves of crushed garlic,
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- Take a pan and heat it.
- Add oil; once hot, add mustard and cumin to it.
- Let them splutter add curry leaves, garlic, and chopped chili (optional).
- Next, add this and diced potato and fry for a minute. This process removes the raw smell.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, and salt. Cook till it becomes pulpy while frying.
- Add red chili powder and saute.
- Add warm water just enough to cover drumsticks and then simmer and cook until soft.
[Read: Benefits of Red Cabbage]
5. Recipe for a High Protein and High Fiber Diet
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp split Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 1tsp split black lentils (urad dal )
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 5 whole Kashmiri red chilies
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 cup toovar dal
- 1 cup of cut Moringa
- 1/4 cup chopped bottle gourd
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/2 cup shallots
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp sambar masala
- Soak Split Bengal Gram and Tuvar Dal for 20 mins and then rinse and drain.
- Add these dals to a pressure cooker with two cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Once the steam escapes, open the pressure cooker and whisk the dal.
- Take another pan and add some oil and temper with some mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Next, add some Kashmiri red chilies.
- Add this plant, bottle gourd, tomatoes, and turmeric.
- Stir for 5 -8 minutes and add some warm water to cover the vegetables.
- Add the sambar masala and the cooked dal to this pot. Let it boil.
- Take another pan and temper with some mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add it to the boiling sambar.
Drumstick has several antioxidants(2) that are incredibly useful to maintain a healthy body. If you take it in the form of supplements during pregnancy, as it can lead to uterine contractions. If you experience cramping, stomach pain, fatigue or rashes, immediately discontinue it in any form.
1. How to Cook Drumstick?
It can be cooked in many ways. For example, in curries such as sambar, or lentil soup, or be cooked as a dry vegetable recipe.