Dry eyes is a condition that is often not properly understood. People usually attribute it to many reasons but do not often seek help until the issue becomes serious. The gift of perfect eyesight is often taken for granted and we only begin to appreciate it when we seem to be struggling with it. But the phenomenon of dry eyes is a totally curable and temporary syndrome. Most of us experience it at some point in our lives.
Dry eyes syndrome may often be characterized by itchiness, mild pain and irritation and might recur through the day. To deal with this discomfort, one of the best natural remedies is castor oil for relief from dry eye. Castor oil being completely plant based and natural, is an excellent remedy that offers significant relief from these symptoms.
Symptoms of dry eye syndrome
Common symptoms of dry eyes include: –
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Redness in the eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Difficulty while driving at night
- Blurred vision
- Watery eyes
- Irritation and itchiness in the eyes
Dryness and itchiness can also be caused due to long working on the laptop and prolonged use of gadgets. With its natural properties, castor oil for dry eyes is a remedy that can be used effectively to handle the problem.
Castor oil acts as a moisturizer. The anti-inflammatory properties reduce eye redness. It also promotes lipid formation which is helpful in preventing evaporation of tears from the eyes. Therefore it is effective in treating dry eyes(1). Traditionally, eyeliner with a base of castor oil is known to induce healthy growth of eyelashes. Castor oil is known to keep the eyes cool and comfortable. This, in turn, prevents dryness and also keeps the eyes protected.
How to use castor oil for dry eyes?
The best time to use castor oil is at night, before going to bed. The steps involved are as follows: –
- Wash your face and wipe off all cosmetics, moisturizers and other makeup before you begin using castor oil.
- Heat a cup of water, preferably not soft water as it has a glowing effect on the eyes.
- Pour some of the water on a soft washcloth and place it on closed eyes for about four minutes.
- Keep the washcloth in contact with your eyelashes and oil glands. Massage the eyelids gently.
- Then take a drop or two of castor oil and massage it on the eyelids, eyelashes, the skin around the eyes and eyebrows.
- Leave it on for the entire night and wash-off with fresh water in the morning
In addition to this, you can also use castor oil drops. Here’s how you can apply them:
- Use a clean dropper and hexane free organic castor oil (one that is recommended by an expert).
- Take one drop into the dropper and administer to one eye. Repeat the same for the other eye.
- Your vision might turn blurry, but you can meditate for about forty minutes until your vision is clear.
- It is ideal to use it before going to sleep.
- Do this once a day to get relief from the irritation caused by dry eyes. It also alleviates redness and prevents allergies.
By following these simple processes, you can easily benefit from the healing properties of castor oil and reduce the discomfort caused due to dry eyes.
Do’s and Don’ts
Castor oil is a natural moisturizer. It lubricates the eye and is a useful natural product. But it is essential to check with an expert who may not prescribe it depending on the severity of the problem. It has a robust and overbearing aroma, but frequent use will make it easier for you to use it. Here are some of the simple Dos and Don’ts:
- Make sure that you don’t expose your eyelashes to sunlight after applying castor oil to them. It is better to use castor oil at night.
- Use it regularly. Irregular use may not give you good results.
- Do not consume it as it can have harmful effects when consumed.
- It is essential to use organic hexane free castor oil for treatment of eyes.
- Do not directly apply it on the skin as it may irritate. Gently massage it on your eyelids when applying it.
- Pregnant women need to check with healthcare experts before using castor oil.
- Perform a patch test before applying the oil directly to the eyes
Home remedies for dry eyes
Castor oil has many uses and it extremely beneficent for hair, skin, scalp and overall health. Castor oil soaps, creams, cosmetics and face packs are rejuvenating for the skin and enhance its beauty. Castor oil also strengthens the hair and prevents hair fall by unclogging hair follicles. It also cleanses the scalp and gets rids of dandruff. Castor oil is also good for your health and in some cases helps induce labor(2).
It also treats allergies, eye redness, and dry eyes.
But castor oil isn’t the only remedy for dry eyes. Here are a few DIY/Home remedies for treating dry eyes and getting eye relief from the comfort of your home.
We know that placing a cucumber on shut eyes has a cooling and relaxing effect. But what we don’t know is that it also promotes circulation and rejuvenates the circulatory system.
Milk has a lot of enzymes that soothe and relax the eye muscles. You can apply it to your eyes with the help of a cotton swab.
3. Aloe Vera
It has soothing properties and anti-inflammatory properties. This helps treat dry eyes and provides eye relief.
4. Vitamin A:
Vitamin A is useful to treat dry eyes. Studies show that Vitamin A, along with Beta-Carotene protects the surface of the eyes and the cornea. You can eat the liver as it has high contents of Vitamin A.
5. Chamomile Tea
It is excellent for your health and very refreshing. The tea has soothing properties, and the anti-inflammatory quality help to relax and treat dry eyes.
The health of our eyes is in our hands. Natural remedies can help to give relief from irritation and discomfort. Oils like Castor oil have proven benefits that can help you to deal with problems of dry eyes by following the methods mentioned. Castor oil benefits for eyes include not carrying any harmful side effects. Just use it according to the instructions mentioned above along with the alternate home remedies and you will get significant relief from the problem of dry eyes.