We are all aware of the superfood coconut and its amazing benefits on our overall health. But how many of us are aware of its fantastic derivative, the coconut butter? Coconut butter is a lesser-known yet a very nutritious superfood that can get included in your diet. Here is all that you need to know about this incredible superfood. Read on to know everything from what coconut butter is to the top 10 coconut butter benefits that are compiled just for you.
What is Coconut Butter?
We all know that coconut oil comes from coconut meat. But what is coconut butter? Coconut butter gets made from the coconut flesh that gets ground to make into a paste that is spreadable. Coconut butter has all the fat, fiber and nutrients intact, unlike coconut oil.
Coconut Butter Nutrition Facts
Coconut butter is rich in many nutrients. Below are some coconut butter nutrition facts based on a serving size of 33 g of coconut butter.
- Calories- 186
- Carbs- 7 g
- Protein- 2 g
- Fat- 18 g
- Fiber- 5 g
- Iron- 0.9 mg
- Vitamin C- 0.6 mg
- Calcium- 10 mg
Coconut Butter Benefits
Coconut butter has many benefits on our health. The top 10 amazing coconut butter benefits are given here just for you.
1. Coconut butter may help in weight loss
Sounds contradicting that fat can help in losing weight! However, it can be true if the fat is a healthy fat. The fatty acids in coconut butter are medium chain fatty acids. These are burnt to produce energy, unlike the long-chain fatty acids. Also, coconut butter acts as a metabolism booster due to this. It does not mean, however, that you must go all over the coconut butter! But, if had in moderation it can work wonders in reducing weight.
2. Coconut butter can keep infections at bay
Coconut butter contains lauric acid. Lauric acid is known to be a preventive against various viral infections. Coconut butter benefits the body by protecting against viral, bacterial and fungal diseases.
3. Coconut butter is easier to digest
Coconut butter has medium-chain fatty acids. Hence, it does not need bile for digestion. Walls of the small intestine readily absorb it and send it directly to the liver. In the liver, it gets immediately used as a fuel.
4. Coconut butter benefits to increases the good cholesterol
Again, the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut butter help in increasing the good cholesterol levels in the body and also helps in getting rid of the bad cholesterol.
5. Coconut butter may be heart healthy
Coconut butter helps in increasing good cholesterol and decreasing bad cholesterol. Cholesterol is a leading cause of heart diseases worldwide. Coconut butter benefits the body by reducing the amount of bad cholesterol and providing protection against heart diseases
6. Coconut butter benefits to boosts immunity
The lauric acid in the coconut butter is the superfood that is considered next to the mother’s milk as an immunity booster. Coconut butter benefits the body by increasing the immunity and preventing many diseases.
7. Coconut butter may be helpful to athletes
The medium-chain fatty acids are more quickly absorbed by the body thus generating energy. Coconut butter benefits athletes and sportspersons by boosting their performance.
8. Coconut butter improves your skin and hair health
Coconut butter, when used as a mask, can give immense benefits to the skin and hair. Using the coconut butter for hair boosts hair growth, prevents dandruff and works as a conditioner. Also, using coconut butter for skin as a mask makes your skin glow and brighten up instantly. Coconut butter lotion is available these days, which can be beneficial for the skin.
9. Coconut butter aids in proper digestion
Coconut butter contains the right amount of fiber. It may be helpful in facilitating digestion by providing some of the daily fiber requirement.
10. Coconut butter provides iron
Coconut butter offers 5% of the daily recommended dietary iron value. It is the right amount and can pile up nicely when combined with other foods. Iron is essential for healthy red blood cells production. Also, iron is necessary for the proper supply of oxygen to the body organs. Lack of iron may result in anemia. Coconut butter benefits the body by providing some of the daily iron requirement.
How to make homemade coconut butter?
Making homemade coconut butter is extremely easy. And it tastes awesome. You need just one ingredient and a blender to make it. So easy! This homemade, raw coconut butter recipe is lip-smacking.
- Desiccated or shredded unsweetened coconut- 3-4 cups
- Sea salt- 1 pinch(optional)
- Vanilla extract- ½ tsp (optional)
Method of preparation
- Add the coconut shreds to the food processor in the amount which can get processed properly
- Mix until a creamy butter gets formed. Scrape the sides 2-3 times so that all the coconut is incorporated well in the butter
- When it looks done, add the salt and vanilla extract, etc. But you can entirely skip this step
- Store in an airtight jar for up to 2 weeks. No need to refrigerate
Organic coconut butter can be made similarly by using shredded organic coconut in place of the regular one. It will ensure you get a pure form of coconut butter and not the one that is chemical laden.
Coconut Butter Recipes
Here are a couple of delicious coconut butter recipes that you will love.
Coconut Butter Buttons
- Coconut butter- ¾ cup
- Coconut oil- ¼ cup
- Vanilla bean powder- ½ tsp
- Honey- ¾ tbsp
Method of preparation
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor
- When well mixed, take out the mixture into an icing bag
- If the mixture seems melted, then pop it into the freezer for 5-10 min to firm it up
- Cut the tip of the icing bag and squeeze button-sized drops on a baking sheet that gets lined with parchment paper
- Once set, keep in the refrigerator for firming up
- After done, store in a glass jar and keep refrigerated
Coconut Energy Bites
- Coconut butter- ¾ cup
- Maple syrup- 2 tbsp
- Unsweetened shredded coconut- ½ cup
- Rolled oats- ½ cup
- Flaxseed, ground- ½ cup
- Walnuts, chopped- 1/3 cup
- Sea salt- ¼ tsp
Method of preparation
- Take ¾ cup of coconut butter
- If the butter is solid melt it before measuring by using the double boiling method
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Keep the mixture in the refrigerator to firm it up a bit so that it can form shape easily
- Once set, remove mixture from the fridge and shape small bite-sized portions in a way you like
- It can be kept refrigerated for up to 5 days
Other Coconut Butter Uses
You can use coconut butter in other different ways
- Drizzle coconut butter on top of fruits
- Use it as a spread on pancakes
- It can get used in making dairy-free hot cocoa
- You can add coconut butter to a stir-fry
Precautions and Side-effects
Coconut butter can be used safely by most people. However, some points are worth noting while including it in the daily diet.
- Those having any allergies to coconut oil must also use coconut butter with proper medical consultation
- Coconut butter is high in calories. Though it gets suggested for weight loss, it must be still used adequately to get the desired benefits
- Care should be taken to use coconut butter as butter, and one should not use it for deep frying
Coconut butter is one of the superfoods popular these days. Coconut butter benefits on the body are fantastic if used reasonably. It can provide you with many nutrients and can be beneficial for your general health. Coconut butter is healthy as well as tasty and can be included in all types of cuisines and also in your daily diet. You can enjoy the taste and yet reap on the many coconut butter benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are coconut butter and coconut oil the same?
Coconut butter is very different from coconut oil. Coconut oil is produced from the coconut meat, whereas coconut butter gets obtained by grinding the dehydrated desiccated or shredded coconut till a creamy butter forms.
2. Is coconut butter good for health?
Coconut butter is very beneficial for health. It provides us with various essential nutrients.
3. How can the coconut butter be used?
Enjoy coconut butter as it is in the raw form or can get used in any recipes of your choice. The only thing to be remembered is that it should not get used for deep frying.