Are you always been checked by your family members regarding the amount of sugar you consume? Have you tried every expensive medicine and remedy in the world, but you still can’t control your sugar level? Does your heart say yes, but your doctor says no? Don’t you worry! There is a solution to every problem, and the same goes for diabetes too. The remedy to all your problems and the answer to all your questions lies within one spice, i.e., Turmeric.
Turmeric is a spice which every diabetic person should know about. The number of people with diabetes is growing at an alarming rate. The WHO has predicted it to be the seventh largest condition that the people across the globe would suffer from, by 2030. Yes! It is that severe! Read on ahead as we throw some light on how turmeric for diabetes can be your life-savior.
Why is Turmeric used to fight Diabetes
Turmeric has been getting used in Indian (Ayurvedic) medicine, and even Chinese medicine for centuries now. The beneficial spice is the solution to all body sugar related issues. The curcumin, which is one of the primary components of turmeric, is known to be very beneficial for most people who have diabetes. It helps in improving the functioning of beta cells, which results in better secretion and use of insulin in the body that helps to keep control over the blood sugar levels.
What exactly is diabetes and how can you control it?
Sugar is an essential component of the body that helps the body to generate energy. Excess of sugar gets stored in the body in the form of glucose and is used up in the time of emergency. Sometimes, a peculiar condition arises in the body, and the body cannot produce or use insulin in a proper way which results in the blood sugar level becoming irregular. This condition is called diabetes.
A person’s blood sugar level becomes extraordinarily high, or low. Then the person always has to be conscious of the amount of sugar they consume; otherwise, diabetes can also prove to be fatal.
Food rich in fiber and possessing a low amount of carbohydrates is considered to be a healthy option for all diabetic patients. However, some of the indigenous spices are found to be good regulators of blood sugar levels in the body. One such spice is turmeric. Turmeric is a spice used mainly all over India in preparing various food items and is got from the roots of the turmeric plant. Turmeric is known to have many positive effects on the body. It helps to prevent inflation of the body, and it also possesses antibacterial properties.
Turmeric boosts immunity, lowers cholesterol, protects eyes and kidneys, relieves pain, prevents cancer, and it also has a positive effect on a person’s sex life. In addition to all this, the wonder spice can also be used to regulate blood sugar level. One of the components of turmeric: Curcuma Longa, which is a member of the ginger family, is known to possess key enzymes which can treat all the bad influences of diabetes.
Why use Turmeric for Diabetes regulation?
The Indian Ayurvedic Medicinal branch speaks volumes about the various benefits of turmeric for curing diabetes and relieving pain. If you take an ayurvedic medicine for diabetes, you will find that turmeric is one of the primary ingredients. Even other medications against diabetes which are not ayurvedic have the components which can be found in turmeric. So why not use turmeric directly instead of taking it in the form of medicines? Moreover, some antibiotics have additional ingredients other than turmeric which may not be suitable for all the patients.
Some medicines even have side effects. Another good thing about turmeric is that, apart from having a significant number of benefits, it has negligible side effects. Consuming turmeric will not only control your blood sugar level, but it will also help in boosting your immunity.
A large number of researchers work hard every day to find a cure for diabetes, and they have found out that curcumin might have a very significant role in the prevention of diabetes all around the world. However, the research is still in progress. It suggests that curcumin is an excellent measure to fight diabetes.
The curcumin extract can be found in most medicines and at a lot of pharmacies, but all those medicines may have side effects. It is best to consume turmeric directly to avoid any side effects. Turmeric extracts also provide general health benefits and help in strengthening the process of digestion. Turmeric also helps to improve kidneys. Proper usage of turmeric has proven to reverse the effects of diabetes within ten months.
Five Astonishing Benefits of Turmeric for Diabetes
- The curcumin present in turmeric helps to protect beta cells that produce insulin. Various studies and experiments have been carried out on multiple animals, and one such research suggests that beta cells are built faster and are healthier in the rats that consume curcumin.
- Turmeric strengthens the kidneys of a person. Kidneys play an essential role in a person’s life to cleanse the body from extreme elements. They also help to remove excess sugar and nitrogenous wastes from the body in the form of urine. Turmeric strengthens the kidneys and hence, has another positive effect on the body for the people who have diabetes or other people in general.
- The people who have diabetes also go through a condition known as “Diabetes-induced Erectile Dysfunction.” Various studies have been carried out to keep a check on the same problem, and an experiment with rats proved that the rats who consumed turmeric had a better and improved erection function. An increase in the blood flow in the rat genitals was considered as the most apparent reason behind it.
- Another benefit of turmeric is that it cracks down on the activity of white blood cells. As a result of the suppression of the operation of white blood cells, inflammation gets subdued. Inflammation plays a vital role in the spread of complication of diabetes, and turmeric helps in slowing down the process.
- Turmeric also helps to boost and improve insulin function. It helps the insulin to get into the cells. It provides a pathway for insulin to enter the cells and hence, reduces insulin resistance. The specific path is called the AMPK pathway, and exercise can also open up this path.
How can Turmeric be consumed
Turmeric is readily available at your place. You can do a variety of home remedies with the help of turmeric. The easy availability of turmeric is the major flexible thing which makes it very easy to use.
1. Turmeric milk
Turmeric milk is one of the most favorite remedy using turmeric amongst the diabetes patients. For this treatment, you may require-
- Half tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 cup Milk
- Sugar (as per need)
- Boil 1 cup of milk
- Add sugar if necessary and half tablespoon of turmeric
- Let it boil for five minutes
- Pour into your favorite mug and have it sip by sip
It is the best way of having turmeric. Drinking it sip by sip will help turmeric affect your body.
2. Turmeric Paste
To prepare this, you will need-
- One spoon turmeric
- One spoon butter
- Black pepper
- Put one spoon butter and one spoon turmeric in a pan
- Sprinkle some black pepper for a pinch of flavor
- Make a paste and sauté until it is in the solid form
- Take it with a glass of milk or water
It is handy for diabetes and will help to reduce blood sugar levels drastically.
3. Special Turmeric Drink
It is a unique recipe which can help you to add more turmeric to your diet along with the goodness of spices and herbs. Each spice and herb has its distinct properties that help to cater to the multiple issues related to diabetes.
To make the special turmeric tea, you will need the following:
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- Some clove
- A pinch of nutmeg
- One teaspoon of fresh ginger
- Some fresh ground black pepper
- One tablespoon turmeric
- 1 and a ½ cup of water
- Raw honey
- A cup of Milk
- Put all the herbs in water and heat it on a slow flame for about 10 minutes
- Stain out the water
- Add milk and honey
- Stir with a spoon to mix the honey properly
This mixture can significantly help anyone who has diabetes. It is not only beneficial, but it is delicious too.
4. Aloe vera and turmeric spice mix
This remedy is incredibly beneficial to regulate blood sugar levels in the body. For this you need-
- ½ teaspoon ground bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- One tablespoon aloe vera gel
- Mix all the ingredients and make a smooth paste
- Store it in an airtight glass jar
- Eat it twice a day before eating lunch and dinner
This aloe vera and spice mix with the goodness of turmeric helps to control the spiking of blood sugar levels that varies after taking a meal.
Precautions While Using Turmeric
- Most of the effects it has on the body are positive. However, before the consumption of turmeric, you must consult a doctor and know the proper dosage. Don’t take dosage which is more than you require.
- When curcumin, which is the active component of turmeric, is taken in large doses, it can have certain side effects on the gut.
- Above 4 grams of curcumin daily is considered to be a typical high dosage and the side effects may be:
- If the consumption in large amounts gets continued, liver problems may occur. A person suffering from gallbladder disease should avoid turmeric as it may worsen the condition of the person.
- Avoid buying turmeric in bulk, just like all other spices; turmeric displays its best properties when it is fresh.
Turmeric for diabetes is an excellent supplement to complete your regular diet and help you to prevent yourself from various bad health conditions. Taking turmeric with oils or fat can help the body to absorb curcumin better and can bring quicker results. However, as we all know that the excess of anything is bad, it is advised that you maintain a balance and do not overuse turmeric any more than desirable. Turmeric is pretty beneficial for the body when taken correctly. Stay healthy, maintain a healthy lifestyle and consume the right amount of turmeric to stop worrying about your sugar intake.