Celery seeds offer incredible benefits for gout patients. The herb’s healing powers were well known to Eastern and Western cultures. Therefore, celery seed for gout has been used as a natural treatment. Celery has been used for many years to treat ailments like arthritis. A gout is a form of inflammatory arthritis. Due to its potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, celery for gout is an effective cure.
Reasons Why Celery Seed for Gout Works
Many doctors advise celery seed extract; gout sufferers swear by it. But what makes celery seed so useful for curing gout? Scientists indicate it has to do with the anti-inflammatory properties of celery seeds. Celery contains compounds like saponins, ferulic acid, luteolin, tannin, and caffeic acids that undo oxidative stress.
Celery seed extract has been found as useful as aspirin, naproxen, and ibuprofen to suppress arthritic symptoms. Besides being a potent anti-inflammatory, celery seeds are powerful analgesics that block the pain caused due to gout(1).
Further, celery seed oil contains high amounts of sedanolide. Sedanolide is a natural compound that reduces swelling. Celery seed contains a chemical referred to as 3-n-butypthalide. It is known as 3nB. Celery seed containing about 85% of this nutrient can treat forms of arthritis-like rheumatism and gout. Over time, 3nB can dissolve uric acid crystals.
According to researchers, certain compounds in celery for gout can prove useful. Celery is rich in omega-6 fatty acids and diuretic oils. These reduce the frequency and intensity of gout symptoms. According to experts, celery seeds for gout contain 20 different kinds of anti-inflammatory components.
Besides diuretic oils like 3nB, celery seed extract or celery is rich in luteolin and beta-selinene. These compounds not only reduce inflammation but eliminate excess uric acid. Further, another study found luteolin is a flavonoid which inhibits xanthine oxidase. Xanthine oxidase is an enzymatic by-product of uric acid. Reducing uric acid levels in luteolin reduces the chances of gout attacks. Another study found beta-selinene reduces oxidative stress and swelling.
[Read: Natural Remedies for Gout]
How to Take Celery for Gout
- Have celery seed for gout in fresh or dried form. But, as the seed is bitter and hard to swallow, many nutritional experts recommend tablets.
- However, the oil of celery plants is present in the seeds in the highest concentration. Celery seeds are rich in volatile oil.
- These oils include coumarins, mild blood thinners, diuretic, omega-6 fatty acids, antioxidants, and flavonoids. These combined ingredients fight common conditions such as gout.
- Beneficial dosages in humans are research-estimated. Celery juice and celery stalks are another healthy food choice.
[Also Read: CBD Oil for Gout Relief]
- The recommended dosage for celery tablets is 500 mg (standardized 450 mg of celery seed’s extract) twice a day.
- The herb can be taken in capsules that come imbued with celery seed oil. But, according to experts, an extract works best.
- Present studies show 5 grams per kilogram works well to reduce serum uric acid and induce antioxidant activity.
- Around 1000 milligrams per kg for two weeks reduces levels of uric acid.
- Finally, 100 micrograms per milliliter inhibit xanthine oxidase.
- Research on celery seed for gout involves the use of the hydroalcoholic extract.
- Take 4-8 celery stalks or 1-2 celery extract tablets each day.
- Extracts are standardized to contain specific amounts of compounds like 3nB and luteolin.
- Studies have shown that celery seed oil can also be topically applied.
- Celery seed oil works to boost the impact of gout medicines like NSAIDs and corticosteroids.
- Celery oil also reduces the swelling and pain in gout patients.
- Dilute celery seed oil with a carrier oil like almond, jojoba, or coconut oil and apply this mixture onto painful parts.
- Some of the properties of a celery seed oil, which help it to boost pain reduction are that it is antispasmodic, sedative, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, nervine tonic.
[Read: Turmeric for Gout Pain]
What Celery Seeds Contain?
As celery seeds contain critical biological compounds, they help to reduce gout symptoms and attacks.
Celery seeds contain antioxidant-rich flavonoids like apigenin, chrysoeriol, and luteolin. Research has these flavonoids bind to receptors. They then inhibit crystals of uric acid from forming and damaging joints.
2. Volatile Oils
Medically essential oils like 3nB give celery its healing powers. Pain scores fell by 68%, with gout patients even experiencing full pain relief after taking 3nB supplements. Celery seed oils like sedanolide block gout symptoms by preventing inflammation.
Coumarins are benzopyrene, which are blood-thinners that block xanthine oxidase and combat gout. Coumarin is found in celery, as well.
[Read: Vitamins for Gout]
4. Fatty Acids
Celery contains Omega-6(2) and three fatty acids that benefit gout patients. Omega-6 fatty acid or ALA/ alpha-linolenic acid can reduce inflammation and ward off oxidative stress. Omega-3 fatty acids or linolenic acids have been shown to reduce inflammation in gout patients.
Thus, battle gout by opting for celery in all its various forms. Though celery seed extract is most effective, you can try celery seeds, stalks, tablets, and capsules. The right amount of celery for gout can be estimated using researched values. However, it is essential to consult a medical practitioner before choosing supplements to complement your gout medication.
1. How Should Celery for Gout Be Taken?
Have celery for gout in tablet, capsule, or extract form. You can try supplements and stalks or seeds of celery.
2. Can Celery Produce Side Effects?
Celery for gout can be a bad idea if you are pregnant or allergic to celery. Other than that, this natural remedy has no known side effects.