How effective is Castor oil for hair loss? The way Castor oil can reduce the amount of hair loss and dramatically increase the rate of hair growth is that it improves the circulation near your hair follicles by causing vasodilation in the scalp thus supplying more nutrients to the hair which then become healthier and there is a lesser chance of their loss.
Castor oil also has antifungal and antibacterial properties that can get rid of all kinds of scalp infections and dandruff. Castor oil also improves the appearance of our hair by adding luster to them. Lastly, it also decreases the absorption of water by a hair(1). All of these properties of castor oil add up to enhance the number and strength of hair along with a reduction in loss of hair.
What Is the Best Castor Oil for Hair Loss?
There are two types of castor oils; Jamaican black castor oil and yellow castor oil.
The preferred variety to use is the Jamaican black castor oil for hair loss because this type is cold-pressed, so most of its nutrients are preserved. Natural remedies are considered the most effective treatment for hair and skin problems. The high levels of linoleic acid increase blood flow to the scalp strengthening hair roots.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Hair Loss]
The best practices to use Jamaican black castor oil for hair loss include using plain Jamaican castor oil.
- Pour a little amount of castor oil in a cup. You don’t need a lot of oil because it’s concentrated and would be sufficient for your hair.
- This treatment is right for slightly wet hair.
- Now detangle your hair, if any and put the oil on your fingertips and apply it your hair from roots to tips.
- After that, massage your scalp for 4-5 minutes and then tie your hair.
[Read: Almond Oil for Hair Growth]
You can also use castor oil mixed with other oils.
- Take a small amount of castor oil in a container
- Add double the amount of olive and almond oil and mix this solution. You will need to double the number of other oils because castor oil is thick inconsistency.
- Now put it in a microwave oven and heat it to a lukewarm temperature and it is ready for use.
You may also use an egg after the application of Castor oil. The albumin in the egg can have a very softening effect on your skin and hair. You will feel a considerable difference after applying this.
- Apply Castor oil to your whole scalp and hair
- Now beat two eggs in a bowl, you can increase and decrease the number according to the length of your hair.
- Now apply the egg paste on all strands of your hair
[Also Read: Benefits of Castor Oil for Hair]
After applying either of these pastes, just cover your head with a shower cap and wait for 3-4 hours and rinse your hair with shampoo.
Castor oil can be very beneficial for hair growth if used correctly. Small amounts of castor oil are sufficient for your hair, and this makes it cost-effective as well. However, there is some concern that using castor oil as a remedy for hair fall can cause acute hair felting, which is a disease in which the hair becomes entangled and forms into some hard mass.
Since the felting (2) is not reversible, the only solution is to cut the hair affected by felting. It should also be noted that consuming large amounts of castor oil can trigger numerous adverse effects like abdominal cramps, Diarrhea, Dizziness, Shortness of breath, and chest pain.
On the positive end, different castor oil varieties can provide a varying degree of strength to your hair because of the amount of ricinoleic acid in them, but since Jamaican black contains higher levels of ricinoleic acid, it is the preferred type.
The overdose of castor oil can prove to be very hazardous to your hair and general body health. So, if it is taken in the required amount, it can be a fantastic remedy for your hair problems.
1. What Is the Best Castor Oil for Hair Loss?
The Jamaican black castor oil is the best variety because it contains higher amounts of ricinoleic acid. It enhances the amount of blood flow to the skull vessels. As a result, it improves the strength of your hair and reducing the chance for hair fall.
2. How to Use Jamaican Black Castor Oil for Hair Loss?
In order to take proper benefit from castor oil, take some Jamaican black oil in a container. Now mix castor oil with other oils is optional. Heat it in a microwave to the lukewarm temperature and now apply this solution to all of your hair from scalp to ends and wash after a few hours.
3. Is Castor Oil Dangerous for Us?
Castor oil is high for us if taken in sufficient amounts, but if we start consuming more than required, it can cause a variety of ailments like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and abdominal cramps. So, one must remain very careful about the amount used for hair treatment; excessive use can lead to felting of hair, leading to breakage and even more hair loss.