Sciatica nerve pain is one of the commonest forms of nerve pains that is faced by people who encounter an accident or due to old age. It generally starts in the lower parts of the spinal region. The lumbar spine or lower portion of the sciatic nerve is supported by flexible, flat and round shaped disks named herniated disc.
When these disks become worn out due to use or injury, then it can put pressure on the tissues around it. This is the root cause of the sciatica nerve pain. Yoga for sciatica nerve pain can be an excellent remedy to heal these excruciating pains of sciatica.
Different Types of Yoga for Sciatic Nerve Pain
Yoga involves physical practices where your mind, body, and soul get aligned, and thus, you can find solutions to lots of physical ailments. If you are suffering from sciatica nerve pain, you can follow certain effective yoga stretches for sciatic nerve pain relief and practice those under the expert’s guidance to get quick relief. Here are the asanas that you can follow to soothe your sciatica pain(1). Read on to know more-
[Also Read: How to Relieve Sciatic Nerve Pain Fast]
1. Bharadvaja’s Twist (Bharadvajasana)
When you suffer from sciatica pain, you generally suffer from an excruciating pain at your lower back region, hip, and spine. This amazing asana is a medicine to this pain where you can stretch and twist your body to get relief.
- Do the ‘Dandasana’ (staff position) first.
- Stretch your legs in front of you.
- Always keep your spine and legs straight.
- Bend your knees and put your weight on your right hips.
- Put your right palm on your left knee.
- Slowly twist your body and try to touch the left foot.
- Try to look behind and maintain the position for around 20 seconds.
- Stretching your spine, hip, and shoulder can provide relief with your pain.
- It can soothe your sciatica pain, lower back pain, and neck pain.
- Abdominal organs can be healthy due to this exercise.
- It improves digestion and also relieves stress.
[Also Read: Benefits of Essential Oils for Sciatica]
2. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
Sciatica pain can cause immobility to you. To keep your body active and keep you movable, performing cobra pose is the best yoga for sciatica nerve pain can be the right thing.
- Lie on your belly on the floor.
- Now, stretch your legs and keep your toes straight so that you can feel the stretch at your lower back.
- Spread your shoulders and put your weight on your arms.
- Fold your arms and put them close to your body.
- Now, lift your upper body with the support of your hands and get into the cobra position.
- Hold it for 20 seconds and release.
- Repeat it at least three times regularly.
- It makes your spine stronger.
- Organs, like abdomen, lungs, and your shoulders are stretched.
- It gives relief from sciatica pain.
- Removes stress and fatigue from your muscles.
[Also Read: Home Remedies to Get Rid of Sciatic Nerve Pain]
3. Eagle Pose (Garudasena)
While talking about the best yoga stretches for sciatic nerve pain for soothing sciatica pain, eagle pose is something that you can practice every day.
- Stand straight on your feet.
- Now, bend your knees a little.
- Lift your left foot up and maintain the balance on your right foot.
- Place the lifted thigh on your right thigh and lock the left foot with the right leg.
- Raise your arms and cross each other. Try to meet your palms together.
- Keep your back straight and flexible.
- Hold the pose for 20 seconds and release.
- Lowers sciatica pain by stretching your thighs, hips, and shoulders
- Improves your concentration power
- Makes your calves and ankles strong
Can Reflexology Help You in Sciatica?
Though sciatica is not a serious issue like osteoporosis or rheumatoid arthritis(2), if left untreated, it can cause you problems. Reflexology is a method of treatment that can soothe your sciatic pain and gives you a relief.
What Is Reflexology Sciatica?
You can depend on medicines to get relief from sciatica pain, but if those don’t work out, reflexology is an excellent method to provide you solution from this pain. Though this treatment addresses mainly your toes, it can be done for your ears and hands. In this treatment, the practitioner first finds out those points on your feet, hands, and ears, which can trigger the internal organs of your body.
Once they find it out, they concentrate on those points to provide you therapeutic treatment. If you opt for this treatment, you can get deep oil or lotion massage to your body. There are lots of practitioners who prescribe the acupressure and acupuncture as a vital part of reflexology.
[Also Read: How Can Massage for Sciatica Pain Help You?]
Is Reflexology Beneficial?
- This treatment can relax your muscles and remove any obstructions from the energy flow in your body.
- If you are suffering from muscle tightening, it can remove that also.
- This treatment is effective in releasing certain body hormones, like endorphins. This hormone has an analgesic impact on your body and resolves the sciatica pain.
- As reflexology relaxes your entire body, the natural healing process gets boosted up.
[Read: Benefits of Reflexology]
So, it is quite a sure fact that reflexology has certain positive impacts on your sciatica pain. If you are suffering from a long period and medicines haven’t helped much, try reflexology by professional practitioners.
Hopefully, now you get how yoga for sciatica nerve pain is useful. Always follow the instructions of your instructor and practice the poses every day. Medicines can give you temporary relief, but if you want to get a good posture and stay away from the pain, yoga is the ultimate remedy.
[Read: Acupuncture for Sciatica]
1. How Do Get I Relief from Sciatica Nerve Pain?
Doing Yoga stretches for sciatic nerve pain regularly and also consults your doctor.
2. What Triggers Sciatic Nerve Pain?
As per experts’ believe, a lumbar herniated disc is the main reason behind this pain.
3. How Long Does It Take to Get Healed?
Usually, sciatica pain can be removed within 4-8 weeks. But sometimes it can last longer as well.