What is Reflexology? And How Does Reflexology work?
Reflexology is a process of treatment that gives gentle pressure to your feet or hands to bring relaxation and help the body’s own healing process.
There are some fixed points on the feet and hands that respond to the organs and different glands of the body. These fixed points stimulate energy pathways in the body by pressing and leading to a gentle massage in the foot and hands. If any energy pathways are challenging to enable the movement, then Reflexology means to unblock them. This will entitle the energy to flow freely again, which seeks to rebuild the balance of the body (1).
Reflexology is one of the most common types of alternative therapy among Cancer patients.
It is being proven that Reflexology can help in multiple ways:
- It gives a feeling of well-being.
- It lifts up your mood.
- It helps you to get relief from different kinds of pain.
- It reduces stress and anxiety.
- It helps you to feel relaxed.
What is Reflexology suitable for?
This therapy is most suitable for people with old age and cancer patients, as the nerves become less visible in the limited portions of the body. Opening up and wiping out neural pathways can help improve the functionality and flexibility of nerves and cells in various organs of the body.
Neural pathways are mostly like muscles; it is incredibly beneficial and crucial for your health to keep them active. These benefits of Reflexology makes it a suitable treatment for many diseases.
Reflexology Foot Massage Home Therapy
You may follow these reflexology massage techniques:
- Back rub the foot all over gradually, now, release it up
- You should start at the toes descending towards the impact point, for around thirty seconds.
- Utilize two hands, hold the spine region with the palm fingers over the foot, and thumbs on base of the foot.
- Gradually twist the sides away from each other to turn the foot gently.
- This is a relaxation exercise. Loosely pull one way and the other for about thirty seconds.
- Then turn the thumb from the base of the heel to the tip of the large toe.
- Afterward, turn down the thumb down from the top of the tip of the large toe to the bottom of the heel.
- Turn down the thumb the spine from left for the whole length of the foot.
- Start with large toe, proceed with toe by toe till you reach the tiny toe.
- Then hold the toe at the base, follow move-in-round movements, pivoting and extending the base joint that appends the toe to the foot.
- Hold the toe directly over the subsequent joint and again move the joint in a significant circular motion, rotate the very top joint on the toe (the big toe only has two bones).
Reflexology massage benefits(2) include relaxation of muscles. Individuals with diabetes ought to consistently ask their primary care physician before having Reflexology. It is because it might interfere with medicines for diabetes. The following benefits of Reflexology are listed below: (3)
- Helps to reduce back problems
- Provide relief from pain in the head and neck area
- Reduces sleeping problems like insomnia
- Highly beneficial for stress relief, anxiety or panic
- Brings improvement in brainpower which will enable the flow of information faster
- Increases the blood circulation in the body
- It helps to relieve the discomfort from pregnancy and menstruation
- It boosts up the energy level and metabolic rate of the body
- It is beneficial in removing the toxins from the body
- Improves the functions of nerves in the body
[Read: Breathing Exercises for Stress]
To conclude it on a positive note, remember reflexology works along the lines of pressure point massage and needle therapy. It makes it easier for your body to boost up the energy level and feel active, relax, and soothing. However, it is crucial to take a piece of advice from a general physician or doctor before taking the treatment. Although it is advantageous but exceptional in some cases such as:
- Circulations in the feet
- Foot ulcers
- Thyroid problem
- Fungus on the feet
Although it is considered as one of the best complementary techniques for relaxation; therefore, proper precautions should be taken before availing the benefits from the therapy.
1. Is Reflexology Healthy Exercise?
It’s indeed recommended by health experts to maintain the mental health of an individual. It can also provide various health benefits.
2. Can It Be Hazardous?
A person who is suffering from a particular disease, and finds touching some points of the body may cause trouble; it may be hazardous in that case.
3. What Is Reflexology Beneficial in Most Cases?
It’s beneficial for stress relaxation and also helps in tackling anxiety. It can also reduce depression and induce sleep.