Sciatic nerve pain is known to be excruciating. It’s a pain in your lower back which goes all the way down to your knees. (1) It may be the cause of having a ruptured disk, spinal stenosis, or injury. Sometimes bones, tumors, or muscles can cause inflammation of the sciatic nerve, leading it to cause pain in your leg and back.
Some home remedies for sciatic nerve pain include exercises. The sciatic nerve is the longest in your body. It extends from the nerve roots present in your spinal cord and goes all the way down to your buttocks. The causes of sciatic nerve pain include internal bleeding, infections around your lumbar spine, or pregnancy.
You could be experiencing a stinging sensation around your lower back after getting up. If you have this condition, then you might have difficulty in walking, and cause numbness. You’ll experience pain in your hip, around your buttocks or legs. If you’re looking for a home remedy for sciatic nerve pain relief, then there are a few listed below:
Sciatic nerve pain, depending on the severity of it, can be cured at home. If you don’t want to visit your doctor, you can quickly attend to the problem with these home remedies.
Turmeric is known to have curcumin in it. This is a beneficial property. Curcumin is anti-inflammatory. It also contains properties such as being analgesic which can help relieve sciatica along with its symptoms. It will help reduce pain and inflammation.
You’ll need one tablespoon of turmeric powder(2) and one cup of warm milk.
- Add one tablespoon of turmeric into your cup of warm milk.
- Mix it well till the turmeric mixes up with your milk thoroughly.
- Drink the turmeric milk.
You may also choose to make a paste out of turmeric powder, try following the simple steps for this cure if you don’t prefer drinking it.
- Take one tablespoon of turmeric powder and a fair amount of sesame oil.
- Mix them both well until you make a paste out of it.
- Apply this paste on the affected area.
You may try these one or two times daily for better results. Do not try this if you have diabetes and are taking medications for it. Turmeric lowers blood sugar levels when consumed. Consult your doctor before you take it. Consuming turmeric for more extended periods can also cause stomach ulcers and gastrointestinal problems.
[Read: Yoga Stretches for sciatic nerve pain ]
2. Ice or heat for sciatic nerve pain
This cure is comparatively easy to practice. It’s the most effective one. Hot compression is known to reduce inflammation in your muscles and pain. It’s the most commonly used remedy for any pain. Cold compression can help in numbing the pain. (3) The combination of both hot and cold compression can help in relieving pain effectively.
There are a few things you’ll need before you begin. Grab a clean washcloth, a bowl of warm water, and a few ice cubes.
- Use a clean washcloth and dip it into the warm water.
- Pull the soaked cloth out and wring it to remove the excess water.
- Place the cloth on the affected area.
- Wait till your body has absorbed the heat from the cloth.
- After the cloth transfers its heat to your body, soak it in the water again and repeat the process.
- You may also choose to do this by putting ice cubes in the washcloth and applying it to the affected area.
You may try this multiple times in a day till you feel relief from the pain.
3. Celery Juice
Celery’s root properties make it an effective cure to opt for sciatic nerve pain. Celery juice(4) can help relieve your pain and reduce inflammation due to it being anti-inflammatory.
- To make the juice, you’ll need a few ingredients. Before you begin, cut down a few celeries and put them aside.
- Take half a cup of water and honey.
- Take the cut celeries and add them to the water.
- Blend them well and add a little honey into the mixture.
Drink the juice.
Drink about two cups of this celery juice in a day.
[Read: Essential Oils for Nerve Pain Relief ]
4. Garlic Tea
Ginger can help with your sciatic nerve pain, both internally and externally. Ginger oil works in curing it externally and ginger tea works internally. Ginger, like turmeric, contains analgesic properties that prove beneficial for sciatic nerve pain with it being an anti-inflammatory agent and reducing pain.
- You need one inch of ginger, a cup of warm water and honey.
- After attaining these ingredients, you’ll need to take the ginger and add it to the cup of warm water.
- Allow this to steep for about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Strain the tea out, let it cool down for a while.
- When the tea cools down to average temperature, add honey to it.
- Drink this tea for your sciatic nerve pain.
It’s suggested to drink ginger tea thrice a day for quick results. However, ginger can cause harm during pregnancy, if you have a bleeding disorder, cardiac disease, hypersensitivity, gallbladder disease. It is advised that you consult your doctor about it, before trying out this remedy.
[Read: Treat Hip Pain With Exercises ]
5. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is an ancient herb with medicinal properties. It’s anti-inflammatory in nature and is typically used to soothe and relieve pain, thus proving useful for sciatic nerve pain.
- You need chamomile herb, warm water, and honey.
- Use about one teaspoon of chamomile herb, one cup of warm water.
- Add the herb into the warm water.
- Allow it to steep for fifteen to thirty minutes.
- Allow the tea to cool down.
- When the tea has cooled down to average temperature, add honey for better taste.
Drink the tea before it gets cold.
You must drink this tea thrice per day. If you have allergic reactions to plants belonging to the daisy family, do not use this method as a cure. If you’re taking anticoagulant medications, chamomile tea will cause internal bleeding. If you’re pregnant and facing sciatic nerve pain, consult your doctor before using chamomile.
6. White Willow Bark
White willow bark has proven effective an effective remedy against sciatic nerve pain due to an ingredient called salicin. The well-known painkiller aspirin is a salicin derivative. Salicin contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- The ingredients needed for this remedy are white willow bark, water, and honey.
- Take about two tablespoons of white willow bark and add it to the water.
- Simmer it down for five to ten minutes and strain it out.
- Allow it to cool to an average temperature then add honey to taste.
- Drink the tea before it cools down.
For significant results, drink this tea three to four times a day. The safety of using white willow bark during pregnancy hasn’t been tested, so you should consult your doctor before trying this out. Do not use it for more than twelve weeks.
These remedies are easy to use with easily attainable ingredients. However, if you do not experience results for up to two weeks, then its best that you seek medical help depending on the severity of your condition.
[ Read: Treat Pinched Nerve in Hip ]
1. What Are the Most Common Symptoms of Sciatic Nerve Pain?
Hip pain and lower back pain are reportedly the most common symptoms.
2. Can Sciatic Nerve Pain Be Cured at Home?
If you do not feel better trying out home remedies for over two weeks, then you should seek professional help as the condition could be severe.
3. What Are the Risk Factors of Sciatic Nerve Pain?
Age, obesity diabetes, sitting in one place for too long or lifting heavy loads may be the risk factors of sciatica.