With kids at home, you have plenty of bend-downs and bend-ups to do to clear the things scattered by them. Sometimes you have to move some heavy furniture aside to keep it out of their way and while doing so, have you felt some electric shock in your lower back pain radiating down your leg? If you have these shooting pain episodes regularly which originate from your lower back, it may be Sciatica. To treat these symptoms, massage for lower back pain to treat Sciatica is highly effective in alleviating your pain without any pain killers.
From 1% to 10% of the population is known to suffer from Sciatica and the sufferers are mostly the people with 25 to 45 years of age.
People with chronic back pain are more vulnerable to Sciatica, and the risk of this pain has high chances of occurring in people who are obese or smokers or who lead a sedentary life.
How is Massage for Sciatica Beneficial?
Sciatica is amongst the most common type of back pain. Given the busy routine, people fail to pay proper attention to their health and eventually hamper their bodies.
Owing to the growing problem of Sciatica, multiple ways are evolved through which one can cope with its sharp pain. how to relieve sciatic pain? If this is the next question running on your mind, read on to know.
Massage for Sciatica relief is one of the excellent remedies to kick out the Sciatica pain. Not only does it give positive results but is also budget-friendly.
However, before choosing a message for Sciatica as an option, it is necessary to get the problem diagnosed by a physician. This will help you rule out the possibility of other severe back problems like misalignment of discs or muscle spasms.
Once you are confident that you are under the influence of Sciatica, you can consider massage is one of the best home remedies for Sciatica pain.
Massage for Sciatica is a natural way to get rid of the pain as it does not involve the intake of heavy doses of painkillers and steroids.
Also, a study conducted in the year 2003 revealed that massage therapy for Sciatica nerve pain witnessed a sharp decline of nearly one-third of painkiller consumption in comparison to other treatments.
A person can enjoy relief from pain for two to three months with the Sciatica massage therapy sessions.
Effects of Massage for Sciatica Nerve Pain
After knowing about the core benefits of choosing Massage for Sciatica pain relief, it’s time you learn about the impact the therapy will have on your body.
The fundamental reason behind the triggering of sciatic pain is the flaring up of the roots of the Sciatic nerve(1). The nerve which resides in your lower back gets irritated and causes sharp pain in the buttock region.
Needless to say that massage for Sciatic pain can work wonders on your body irrespective of the fact that your pain is new or old.
The massage therapy for Sciatica pain works tremendously well as it counters two main reasons for the pain.
The therapy helps in alleviating the Sciatic nerve pain in two prominent ways:
- The primary motive of massage for Sciatica pain is to relieve the tense muscles. When muscles are tensed, they put an excess of pressure on your nerves, including Sciatic nerve.
By massaging the muscles, a person can help reduce the pressure build-up on the Sciatic nerve thereby alleviating sciatic pain.
- Tissue massage helps to release endorphins. Endorphins are pain-fighting hormones which provide temporary pain relief to the body.
These endorphins induce pleasure and enhance the feeling of well-being in mind. These hormones help to avoid throbbing pain or burning sensation in the leg.
[Read: Home Treatment for Sciatica]
Methods of Massage Therapy for Sciatica
Massages can be of different types. A particular problem requires a specific type of massage therapy for cure.
There are multiple massage therapies when it comes to Sciatica pain treatment. There is no apparent reason to discriminate one massage therapy from another. So, choosing a particular type of massage for Sciatica depends mostly on the personal will of the sufferer.
You can find a thorough introduction about the various types of massage therapies for Sciatica below. Have a look:
Deep Tissue Massage for Sciatica
This type of massage involves the application of slow strokes and deep pressure through fingers. The process helps to release tension from your muscles and tissues.
According to a study conducted in 2014, half an hour session of the deep tissue massage for five days during a week or two showed positive results in a patient’s body.
Swedish Massage for Sciatica
In sharp contrast to deep tissue massage(2), Swedish massage is less aggressive in intensity. It involves kneading movements which help to increase blood flow. Also, it helps to increase tension in the connecting tissues.
Neuromuscular Massage for Sciatica
Neuromuscular massage induces advanced massaging techniques to cure pain. It is a perfect combination of deep tissue massage and friction.
This kind of massage works wonders for getting away with muscle contraction and tension.
Hot Stone Massage for sciatica
Hot stone massage technique is used to relax and ease the muscles. It accompanies Swedish massage therapy.
During hot stone massage therapy, the therapist places hot stones on the affected body parts and performs the Swedish massage techniques.
[Read: Essentials Oils for Sciatica]
3 Self Massage for Sciatica Relief
what to do for sciatica pain at home? A massage therapist for sciatic pain is undoubtedly one of the best decisions to deal with the throbbing pain. But hiring a therapist may or may not be quite convenient for your pocket.
These three unusual self-massage methods for sciatica can be easily done at home and will provide quick relief from the throbbing pain.
1. Palm and Thumb Massage for Sciatica Pain
- Place your palms on the lower back area. Now, rub the pelvic area up towards the spine, and down towards your buttock region.
- Next, place your hands on your waist. Ensure your hands lie on the ropelike muscles near the spine, and your fingers wrap the sides.
- With the help of your thumbs, apply pressure towards the outer edges of the ropelike muscles covering the spine area. The distance between your thumbs should be at least four inches.
- Apply steady pressure but do not over-strain your muscles.
[Also Read: Yoga to Relieve Sciatica Pain]
2. Tennis Ball Acupressure Massage
- Take two tennis balls and put them inside a sock. Place the balls near to each other on the floor.
- Sit down on the floor keeping your knees bent and keep your feet flat on the floor. Now place the balls, on the floor, behind you.
- Now, bend your body slowly until your back touches the floor. Make sure the balls are touching the affected area of your back.
- If you can, rest for a minute or less in this position.
- When you feel a relief in the back tension, move the balls to another section of your back.
- Gradually, roll onto your side and keep your arms under your head as a pillow. Remain in the same position for around 5 minutes before getting up.
3. Knuckle Pressure Massage
- Lie in a way that your back touches the floor and your knees are bent with feet touching the floor flat.
- Make fists and place them on the left and right side of your lower back area.
- Ensure that you position your fists in a way that your palms face downwards, and the knuckles are against your back.
- Place your fists between the spine and lower back muscles. Rest in this position, with ease, for a minute or less.
- Now, roll out on your side and place your arm under your head like a pillow. Be in this position for five minutes.
Points to Consider for a Safe Massage to Get Relief from Sciatica Pain
- Never forget to rub an ice cube over the affected area post the massage therapy. You can also use ice wrapped in a cloth or towel and apply on the area.
- It is advisable to massage the soles of the feet. This will help ooze out pain from the sciatica nerve reflex points present an inch above your heel area.
- Avoid using massage for Sciatica pain if you are suffering from inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
- Pay proper attention while using massage for Sciatica pain if you are pregnant. Always apply mild and gentle pressure while performing the message.
In today’s world when everyone is running a race against time, you can never afford to be left behind owing to that ugly sciatica pain. After reading this article, you are now well aware that massage is the best home remedy for treating Sciatica Pain.
Opting for massage therapy for sciatica pain may not bring instant relief to your pain, but will surely help you come over the situation in the long run.
Massages not only relieve pain but also help to prevent recurring of the pain by acting on the root cause of it.
So, enjoy an effective as well as relaxing massage and indulge in your routine life like before.